There's an a** for every seat

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Winnie Thomas, Aug 28, 2020.

1. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    My a** won' sit in that seat for that price. Even though it looks great, that is too rich for my taste. If I think of all the nice Gretsch guitars you could buy at that price, you could have one for almost every day of the year. Or at least a new top model per week.

MKunie and nickurso like this.
  2. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    They're not the only ones making items specifically for the very wealthy in the Chinese market. The market in recent years for Chinese art and antiques has grown immensely.

But no, nothing could make me spend $150K on that. Except if I could flip it...

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    $150K and you'd think it'd have free shipping. But, no, that's an extra $600. It's gorgeous, BUT....

drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Unbelievable!

Floo likes this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Pretty guitar but wayyyyy too expensive. I also don’t think it would be comfortable to play, it’s basically a piece of art. But for that price I could hang a gretsch on the wall and buy a small house

mrfixitmi, MKunie and wabash slim like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Reminds me of this.

upload_2020-8-28_16-46-6.jpeg

Jeff67, Anacharsis, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  7. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    What would I do with it. You would need to hire an armed guard on nights you played out. Love the craftsmanship.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    ... and it sounds no better than a stock Super 400.

drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Emperors new clothes. It's just an OK picture of a dragon on a nice guitar.

Anacharsis likes this.
  10. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    ...but how easy would it be to "play scales" up the neck? ;)
    Scales copy.jpg

j.s.c, wizard_23, stevo and 5 others like this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    For the man who is both wealthy AND stupid.

12. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Are you sure..? I'm wondering if it sounds less than a stock Super 400. Because that dragon carve on the top, that might well have some impact on tone?

Nicely done. :cool:

I'm waiting for the lawsuit from Dean Zelinsky for ripping off his patented 'Z-glide' neck! :p

Definitely fit for a Trogly WYRON (Would You Rock Or Not), and it's a definite no from me... It's too much. Incredible skill, but too much.

Penguin likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    and not one photo of a case ...... figures

drmilktruck, mrfixitmi and Tadhg like this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Likely it does harm the sound, that was my point. If there’s any difference in sound, it would be to the detriment. All of those pointless, misplaced and gratuitous add-ons do nothing to make it a better guitar.

I’ve played some lovely Super 400s and a stock a Super 400 is a work of art. This looks like something purpose made for mega lottery winners, who would add it to their collection of useless status symbols that they acquire on their rapid path to bankruptcy. A purpose-made collector’s item which is highly unlikely to appreciate in value, yet it’s too expensive to take out of the case and actually make use of.

IMO, many of these custom shop offerings have turned their host guitars into freak show attractions. This one is pointless and, IMHO tasteless, while the mods detract from the character, dignity and even function of the guitar. This may be the most egregious example, but it arrives in the context of “custom shop” offerings which amount to custom paint, and nothing more.

Compare that to Paul Pigat’s truly custom Gretsch, which is actually a unique instrument; not just a stock instrument with unique paint, or perhaps different pickups.

I have owned precisely two custom shop instruments, a Fender Bass VI, which was bought just before they went out of production and had a somewhat unusual sunburst, but was in no sense of the word custom and the attention to quality was not on par with a standard instrument. The other is a Warwick bass, which ironically is very basic, but is custom in the sense that it has a selection of choices which make it unique; a short scale fretless with a Wenge neck and the most beautiful Ebony fingerboard I’ve ever seen. The hardware is black chrome and it has passive electronics. The Warwick truly is a custom instrument and I doubt that there is another like it, anywhere.

15. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    A very kind and polite way to say "what the heck made them build an ugly and probably not too good sounding and playing guitar?"
    Well, if I had 150,000 $ to spend on guitar-related stuff, I'd come home with two or three amps and 15 guitars. At least. And they all would be plain simple playable guitars.

RomanS, mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  16. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Pointless waste of time(years). Imagine how many playable guitars could have been produced in that time.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ....on a side note : Although I forget the price ( something tells me it's in the same price range of this Gibson ) and as much as I'm a big fan of Martin Guitars , even this does not appeal to me :eek: yuck ...... ( it's really pointless IMO )
    IMG_1434.jpg IMG_1433.jpg

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ll simply comment on the price but saying I won’t comment on it.

I wouldn’t play or obviously own it, but I appreciate the artisan Dragon carving itself. But that neck scale carving ruined the guitar as far as playability. Unless it’s built up with a finish between the scales to make it feel smooth.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  19. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I've never been attracted by oriental art -- and that's "just me", no reflection or insult intended on anyone. I find it "interesting" from a wood working perspective but otherwise unattractive. Even if I had massive amounts of wealth I would have no interest in this piece.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.