There is no such thing as a real or special sale price for what you really want

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
I remember in the late '70's working as a summer bike mechanic at a Toys R Us. Their business model back then was to sell diapers at cost. It was smart because it got people in the door and that is half the battle. It takes a strong willed person to walk out of there with only diapers.
I guess this turns out to be another urban legend, but you reminded me of the story:
“Some of the ways Wal-Mart managers found to exploit their findings are legendary. One such legend is the story, “diapers and beer”. Wal-Mart discovered through data mining that the sales of diapers and beer were correlated on Friday nights. It determined that the correlation was based on working men who had been asked to pick up diapers on their way home from work. On Fridays the men figured they deserved a six-pack of beer for their trouble; hence the connection between beer and diapers. By moving these two items closer together, Wal-Mart reportedly saw the sales of both items increase geometrically.”

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
I guess this turns out to be another urban legend, but you reminded me of the story:
“Some of the ways Wal-Mart managers found to exploit their findings are legendary. One such legend is the story, “diapers and beer”. Wal-Mart discovered through data mining that the sales of diapers and beer were correlated on Friday nights. It determined that the correlation was based on working men who had been asked to pick up diapers on their way home from work. On Fridays the men figured they deserved a six-pack of beer for their trouble; hence the connection between beer and diapers. By moving these two items closer together, Wal-Mart reportedly saw the sales of both items increase geometrically.”

Oh my gosh. That is hilarious!

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
There's a reason they put cigarettes, candy and tabloids at check out and veggies in the back . . . maybe they should move the booze.

Archtops

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2021
SoCal
IDK..I ordered the GoPro camera directly from GoPro and got a bundle, GoPro subscription, and $$ off the regular price. Then when I went to pay for it, the price dropped some more by about $50. Which surprised me and I thought I may have messed up my order.

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
IDK..I ordered the GoPro camera directly from GoPro and got a bundle, GoPro subscription, and $$ off the regular price. Then when I went to pay for it, the price dropped some more by about $50. Which surprised me and I thought I may have messed up my order.

Sometimes it happens !

Latest posts