Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The True Stories Behind 6 Famous Gear "Lawsuits"

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, May 18, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Here <LINK

Excerpt:

Gretsch was currently marketing a drum kit called the Broadkaster, and it took no time at all for Gretsch to catch wind of Fender’s Broadcaster.
    [​IMG]

1950 Fender Broadcaster

[​IMG]
    Gretsch Broadkaster Drum Set

Rumor has it that Gretsch either threatened or raised a lawsuit against Fender. But what actually seems to be the case is that Gretsch, well, politely suggested that Fender change the guitar’s name, and Fender gladly complied.

dlew919 and thunder58 like this.
  2. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Many UP disputes are resolved in a friendly manner. It is when the parties can't resolve it that way that lawsuits come in the picture. We can't be sure what gretsch would have done if fender had said "screw you!"

By the way so we actually know what happened or are we just guessing? How doe we know gretsch was polite, or that fender "gladly" complied? Or. maybe they gladly complied after asking their lawyer of they could say no and the lawyer said you'll lose in court. Do we have evidence or are we countering rumour with rumour?

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Interesting list, but at times a bit anecdotal.

There were a couple of others, allthough maybe not as big.
    Takamine sued by Martin over the headstock, Fernandes sued by Fender over the Strat headstock, and later by Mesa Boogie for a blatant Mark II amp clone, Kitty Hawk amps by Mesa Boogie. There was something with Ovation as well... ah so many.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Martin really? It's a freaking rectangle. I mean, I like it, but it's just 2 right angles.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I know right, but it is characteristic for a Martin guitar.
    Combined with the script logo Takamine used, I suppose it could be mistakenly identified for a Martin. Has there ever been "a 5 foot rule" precedent been set in court for these things? :)

[​IMG]

thunder58, Henry and T simmons like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That does look darn similar.

Ricochet likes this.
  8. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Hmmm. I've wondered about this for quite awhile.

But we must give Takamine credit for so expertly camouflaging the reality in plain sight.

Russ

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Ripping off, or just a "homage" lol?

englishman likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I see how a person can make a mistake . There almost identical .....lol :) ( just kidding cuz )

ZackyDog and Ricochet like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Here's another. A Kitty Hawk amp. The similarities to a Boogie didn't end with the visuals. Schematicly they leaned heavily towards Mesas and some models to Dumbles. The naughty kitties/owners happened to be the German importer of both...
    A business practice not much different from how other famous makes got their start, but sometimes it flies, sometimes it doesn't. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Ibenez had a similar dreadnaught to the Martin also . A friend gave it to me , nice guitar but I gave it to my favorite organization , Gutars 4 vets ( G4v )

Ricochet likes this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I guess Gretsch decided to let Gibson have the Firebird name.

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Of Gretsch note, Gretsch had to change the name of the re-introduced Corvette to CVT in response to complaints from Warwick, whose Corvette is a bass. Since Gretsch had stopped using the name from the mid 70s until the early 2000s, their lapse allowed Warwick to argue that their model was protected.

(Some trademark infringement lawsuits are silly - We had a travel trailer called a Kiwi, made by Jayco. Kiwi shoe polish forced them to change the name. I doubt anyone could have confused the two products. Similarly the Palm Pilot had to drop the second word after complaints from Pilot Pens. Slightly more understandable as the Palm did use a stylus that could conceivably have been confused, but it's doubtful.)

15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    So if I made a drum kit or a guitar and called it a "Kodbaxter", do you think anyone would try to copy it?

MTurner likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As I read, Kitty Hawk was the original European distributor for Dumble amps. Dumble wanted to avoid shipping costs and shipped not the complete combo but the chassis and some parts, only. The guys a Kitty Hawk sold them under their own brand until Dumble found out that there is something fishy about the deal. So there are a few early Kitty Hawks out there that are genuine Dumbles! Just a another nice little rip-off-between-business-partners-story.

Ricochet likes this.
  17. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    In one of the fender books, an interview with one of the mangers suggests this. That it was all amicable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk