The Terry Kath Experience, a rockumentary

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by GlenP, Jul 28, 2019.

1. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    http://www.terrykath.com/terrykathdocumentary-1

I just found this DVD in my local library, was an enjoyable trip down memory lane and learned a lot about a lesser known guitar player. Always been a big fan of C.T.A and early 1970s Chicago, and even later 1980s, and modern Chicago, all those guys are great musicians. Never knew much about the Terry Kath story. Apparently, neither did his daughter, so she made this documentary about her personal journey to discover him, as she was 2 years old when he passed at the age of 32.

"That guy is the baddest guitar player I've ever heard in my life," - Jimi Hendrix.

An early picture showing Terry Kath playing what appears to be a Gretsch with the Mystics.
    linked from: http://www.terrykath.com/bio-official
    "Kath ultimately used Fender and Gibson solid-body guitars, but his instrument in The Mystics was a hollow-body Gretsch Tennessean"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    ZackyDog likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ... sad the way he died

3. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I know... I will never forget when I heard about it...

Proof that alcohol and firearms are a deadly mix!! :eek: :(

Henry and thunder58 like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Tragic person.. So sad.

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    vlcsnap-2020-12-01-00h20m06s688.png
    It's nice to see that Peter Cetera showed up for the documentary.

vlcsnap-2020-12-01-00h25m10s657.jpg

GlenP likes this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I really appreciate this documentary, and his daughter seems like a very honest, very down to earth person. I came away respecting her a great deal.

Terry Kath is probably my favorite, of the harder edged players. The first time I heard the solo in 25 or 6 to 4 I was amazed. 50 years later, I still am. He was the heart and soul of the group. He wrote Introduction, including the 19/8 time. He brought an equal appreciation for Jazz and Hard Rock to the table, and that is fairly unique.

When he died, Chicago changed completely. They were never the same afterward. The band was such an interesting blend of Rock played on the fly and arrangements that were worthy of any Big Band.

Sadly, Kath suffered from drug problems and after 2-3 days without sleep he made a rookies error and shot himself, accidentally. I still feel a sense of loss.

7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Saw them at the Filmore in 68’ I think it was.

I will have to look for the documentary

Thanks

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    It has been on tv a few times too. He was such a great player. He could get some of the strangest sounds from his guitar.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Pretty sure firearms are deadly on their own buy I get your point.:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.