The struggles on finding the perfect semi hollow.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by JaredmacNeil90, Oct 2, 2021.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Ever go looking for a guitar that was you ? If so you know what’s that’s like . I’m really fond of double cut semi hollow guitars but there was a big issue there.

i really like the looks of Gibson the big horns ,binding, 2 volume and tone , inlays and humbuckers. The problem with that is I don’t like Gibson pickups they are muddy and dark and I just couldn’t do it . And too expensive on top

later on in life I found out about the guild starfire and was I really liked the way it looked . I like the idea of a master volume and the bigsby , the inlays and I liked the two tone and volume. But then there was the price gross.

my first real experience with a Gretsch was a few years ago and also my first real experience messing around with a fender tube amp and also I was like oooh what is this.
    The Gretsch was so bright without being harsh and still had bottom end that I like I couldn’t explain I knew I needed one but couldn’t get over those horns I just ugh and the lack of controls I I just like two tones and two volumes.that being said I really loved the sound and the bigsby

I never did end up with a Gretsch but I did get a guild starfire on an amazing deal like electromatic prices and loved everything about it besides The pickups so I changed them to tv Jones classics based of the Gretsch filtertrons

so now I have a guitar with features from all three companies
    The bigsby
    Master volume
    Two tones and volume
    The filtertron for that bright yet warm sounds I discovered years back
    The actual guild starfire v

Ultimately I’m really pleased with the great Gretsch sound I get out of my guild but I still want a single cut Gretsch.
    I actually really like the looks of a single cut Gretsch.

44F8DE23-A83F-4B18-8596-2CB5C2153A90.jpeg

I also manage to strike a vintage big Brother to the vibrolux reissue I played and couldn’t be happier. all said in done there $2600 cad aprox $2000 usd between the fender and guild including the pickups and setup on the guild .

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    How about the center-block, G5655TG?

[​IMG]

section2, Paulie26, Jeff67 and 4 others like this.
  3. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Now that’s sharp.

Paulie26 likes this.
  4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Well with the Guild covering your semi hollow needs.. you could get the ULTIMATE single cut Gretsch... which every body knows is... a JET.

Get a Jet... go on... you'll like it :);):D

new6659 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  5. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    Set phaser pedal to stun, and pull this out:

D5B66F4A-639E-49FA-9379-3DAC7C4066E8.jpeg

weirdblue, Archtops, section2 and 6 others like this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I imagine that guitar sounds very much like any number of Gretsch's out there. It looks good too. But if you get an actual Gretsch, you can put those Guild pickups back in there - they have a wonderful and silky tone that earns it's own place in my opinion.

JaredmacNeil90 likes this.
  7. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    You sound like my friend Creig . Actually it was him that recommended the the tv Jones and the fender twin . I’m in the middle of building a pedal board but I might save and look for a used tenesian

Craig Encinitas and stevo like this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Lots of choices out there for sure. Best of luck on picking your first Gretsch.

JaredmacNeil90 likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was considering a 335 when I discovered a G3140 Historic. Never looked back.
    Single coil DeArmond 2000s and a center block. Couldn't ask for more.

10. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I actually really like a the jet

Mr Swisher likes this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Or maybe the OTHER G5655T, the Double Jet. I love mine.

Gretsch G5655T Double Jet.jpg

Archtops, ZackyDog and Mr Swisher like this.
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    That's nice, but the OP wants a single-cutaway.

13. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    True. Forgot about that.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    ---

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  15. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I like the duo jet a lot more than a lesPaul. But first thing is first I need my pedal board finished

16. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I have modded guitars for 30 years. And while some mods do most definitely help guitars "get there" for me, I have also learned that mods will never make a guitar into a "holy grail" for me. The kind of magic that makes a guitar a "forever keeper" is inherent in the individual build. A guitar either "has it" or "doesn't". I can take a guitar that's a 7 and make into an 8 or 9. But a guitar that's a 10 has to start out at at least a 9 to be THAT kind of guitar, for me.

I have spent alot of time and ALOT of money on mods, and while I will never be opposed to swapping pickups, I think I'm done modding and/or building... at this point in my life, I have 1 guitar that will never leave me, and a few other really good ones. From now on my purchases will be for examples that do not need anything: I either love them off the rack, or I don't buy them. I've just gotten to that point, I guess.

There's only 3 guitars I know of that fit this description, and they are all north of 4 grand, so quite unlikely I'll actually be getting any of them... but I know that, at this point in my adventures, anything less won't cure the GAS. I already have a bunch of 8's and 9's, but the 10's gonna cost....

Collings I35-LC
    Collings 470JL
    PRS DGT

Stefan87 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  17. Paulie26

Paulie26 Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Excellent choice

ZackyDog likes this.
  18. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I bought one of these to try recently, absolutely hated it. Not that it was "bad", but didn't sound very semi-hollow to me, and felt weird (which is odd since I own both teles and a 6120). It literally went back in the box to be returned within an hour.

I was really hoping it was Gretsch's "take" on a 335 type, but it was not hollow-sounding or woody sounding at all.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  19. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If you're looking for a single-cut semi-hollow Gretsch with individual tone and volume controls for each pickup, the 5620T checks all your boxes. It's the only modern Gretsch that I know of with individual tone controls.

They stopped making them a few years ago, but you can find used ones floating around. I absolutely love mine.

20180719_123310.jpg

There are a few caveats: the cheap nut and the Bigsby tension roller can cause tuning problems, but they're easily solved with a new nut and a BiggsFix. I didn't like the stock tone pots, so I swapped mine out for CTS pots. Lastly, it's a heavy guitar—I think mine weighs in at somewhere between 9 and 10 pounds. But it sounds amazing, and the build quality is excellent.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  20. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I love my Highland with American Bigsby with master volume not shown in the picture from the web site still up. They went under. I also found the Guitar Center original picture. I got it from them with case and other things. It shows the Bigsby and master volume. With the tail piece still on it as well. I got told they all come like that from other people that also got one? It is really nice. It was 260 used with the 2 year warranty. Laser engraved wooden truss rod cover and wooden pickguard. Here is the old sit still up. I would love them all but do not need them.

http://www.highlandguitarcompany.com/electrics.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Groutsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.