The stomach bug thread

JCW513

Gretschie
Sep 21, 2017
Boston
I missed the thread because I also got sick with a virus. Stomach? Thankfully not so much but fatigue and fever were there for days.

I also go to the gym and weightlifting is a part of my life. When I had this virus, I pushed it and got in the gym twice over the past week. Honestly, this all I could do........I was beat down hard and now realize I am now longer sick but am still "out of whack".

I played it safe today as I'm still not near 100%......I can't fall asleep but it is after 4:22am and cannot sleep.

I will ease into it very carefully.
Your a better man than me. I never ever miss days unless there is a legit excuse. But I just couldn’t do it. My sis got it bad but not nearly as bad as me. I think I got more dehydrated than her. I still feel slightly dehydrated.

Scamp

Gretschie
Feb 22, 2018
SoCal
It was on the news this morning, called it a "URV", Upper Respiratory Virus. Basically a flu. Spreading around town. Of course they say wash your hands, wear a mask and get a flu shot if you can. It's flu season.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Flu shots work. Sometimes better than others.
I'd be around huge audiences throughout the year, often numbering in the thousands.
You could just sense the funk around huge groups of people.
I've been getting flu shots since I was in the service in the early '70s. They worked.
Usually, I got the flu from one of my grandsons. Go figure.
Kids are germ factories.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Sorry to hear that. As guitarfarm said, push fluids. Small frequent sips rather than than big gulps. Imodium for the diarrhea, up to 8/day. If you’re getting dizzy standing up or aren’t peeing, then you should be seen. As things settle down, start small amounts of bland food and advance as tolerated. Other worrisome signs - blood in the stool or vomitus, high fever. You may need stool cultures if the symptoms go beyond a week.

if you send me your insurance information, I’ll send a bill for this virtual visit. :)
I'm down with tele-health! Sign me up cuz I'm not going near an office :)

Gretschtim1

Country Gent
Dec 4, 2012
Dundalk, Md
I'm down with tele-health! Sign me up cuz I'm not going near an office :)
I called my doctor's office a few months ago because I had a nasty sore throat. His nurse told me "they weren't seeing sick patients at this time". WTH!
They did offer to give me a telly visit. I asked how are you going to look at my throat and listen to my lungs over the freakin phone?
I said no thanks I'll call you when I'm better.
I'm looking for a new family doctor.

JCW513

Gretschie
Sep 21, 2017
Boston
I have travelled a lot in Asia including some off the beaten track locations. In my customarily curious and reckless way I usually ate local foods from street vendors, looking for a new taste experience. As a result I have had stomach bugs in Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, India, Vietnam and Bhutan. The worst was in Beijing where I ended up in hospital for the evening. Strangely the street food in Laos, Sri Lanka and Morocco gave me no problems at all! Stomach bugs are an awful experience! :(
Some of that food looks good, but I don't even like eating from food trucks.

On day 6 or 7, can eat but still fatigue and some dehydration.. just found out my sister in law has covid.... I work with my brother. I'm young and healthy and have never personally been nervous about the virus for myself., but I do slightly worry if I got that now.

two weeks ago, I was raking leaves like a mad man making an HIIT workout out of it and running up the hill in my backyard with 3 full barrels at once. Yesterday I was still getting winded doing yard work. Felt great to do something physical again.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Your a better man than me. I never ever miss days unless there is a legit excuse. But I just couldn’t do it. My sis got it bad but not nearly as bad as me. I think I got more dehydrated than her. I still feel slightly dehydrated.
Yeah I think these things have lingering affects. I got a pretty annoying stomach ache yesterday and headache today so drinking a lot of water. I still went to the gym again last night although I didn't feel great and was surprised at the strength I had.

I think the adrenaline kicking in during a workout helps some because I felt great just 10 minutes but not sure if it is case where I'm not quite over it yet or it has after affects. The headache is the worst of all.

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...

I hit a milestone birthday this year and was scheduled for a full workup. EKG, urine test, blood work, the whole nine yards. Everything was fine, but my doctor made the comment that I appeared a little dehydrated. I drink a lot of water on the golf course on a hot day, but seldom drink enough at other times. Since that checkup my wife has been making me drink 90 ounces of water a day. At first, I found it difficult to drink that much every day, but after a couple weeks it got easier. She's also got me taking extra vitamin C, D, zinc, and turmeric every morning.

I read an article that stated that 75% of Americans do not get enough water so I'm trying to turn that around.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Glad you’re starting to feel a bit better.

I have always been of the opinion of O sick and miserable I’ll eat and drink anything healthy wether I like it or not. For stomach bugs I tend to hit the spicy stuff also like habanero beef sticks and jalapeño in my eggs. Lots of water and some Gatorade. And lots of yogurt!
I dot. Know if any of this works but I rarely get ill and if I do it doesn’t last more than 12 hours or so usually. If I get sick more than a day I sleep. A lot!

@wabash slim on the Marines they asked for “volunteers for a new flu shot” I got voluntold to go. My roommate and I went down and he was happy it was the gun instead of a needle. He passed out as soon as they pulled the trigger. A lot of the guys were on the floor or in portable recliners. I walked off with no issues. I was the only one who didn’t get sick.dowse for 1000 given to the first 100. Every single person I came in contact with for the flu. I was the only guy in the electric shop for almost two weeks. Gunny said no one would be getting the experimental shot again. Got a 96 when everyone was back. Hhahaha

JCW513

Gretschie
Sep 21, 2017
Boston
Yeah I think these things have lingering affects. I got a pretty annoying stomach ache yesterday and headache today so drinking a lot of water. I still went to the gym again last night although I didn't feel great and was surprised at the strength I had.

I think the adrenaline kicking in during a workout helps some because I felt great just 10 minutes but not sure if it is case where I'm not quite over it yet or it has after affects. The headache is the worst of all.
yeah, I started my back working out this morning, it was tough at first, a little easier as it went on.. But I got real winded easily. Got home a little early from work, tried doing my after work sledgehammer swinging and I just didn't have the power. But, I guess it just going to take a few more days. Its amazing, what the body is capable of when your sick... It used all its energy to fight off the virus in my body.

hope you get back to normal asap.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I drink a lot of water on the golf course on a hot day, but seldom drink enough at other times. Since that checkup my wife has been making me drink 90 ounces of water a day. At first, I found it difficult to drink that much every day, but after a couple weeks it got easier.

I’ve placed some bottled water next to every spot I sit at. Desk, bed, TV etc. Doesn’t look very tidy but my water intake has definitely improved.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Glad you’re starting to feel a bit better.

I have always been of the opinion of O sick and miserable I’ll eat and drink anything healthy wether I like it or not. For stomach bugs I tend to hit the spicy stuff also like habanero beef sticks and jalapeño in my eggs. Lots of water and some Gatorade. And lots of yogurt!
I dot. Know if any of this works but I rarely get ill and if I do it doesn’t last more than 12 hours or so usually. If I get sick more than a day I sleep. A lot!

@wabash slim on the Marines they asked for “volunteers for a new flu shot” I got voluntold to go. My roommate and I went down and he was happy it was the gun instead of a needle. He passed out as soon as they pulled the trigger. A lot of the guys were on the floor or in portable recliners. I walked off with no issues. I was the only one who didn’t get sick.dowse for 1000 given to the first 100. Every single person I came in contact with for the flu. I was the only guy in the electric shop for almost two weeks. Gunny said no one would be getting the experimental shot again. Got a 96 when everyone was back. Hhahaha
First flu shot I ever got was while in the USAF. They had us sit down for a few minutes, drink some OJ, have a cookie or two. Went fine. 2LT got his, decided to be big and bad, started walking across the hospital parking lot, and dropped like a rock. Broke his nose, took his two front teeth out. Listen to the nurse next time, sport. We got a lot of shots with the gun. They said, "Don't flinch, don't move." Guy ahead of me tried to pull away and got cut up badly when he moved. Listen to the medic. We got tons of shots, innoculations, and vaxes that way. The worst needle was called the "19th Day" shot. Used a harpoon or a square, rusty needle.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I called my doctor's office a few months ago because I had a nasty sore throat. His nurse told me "they weren't seeing sick patients at this time". WTH!
They did offer to give me a telly visit. I asked how are you going to look at my throat and listen to my lungs over the freakin phone?
Well seeing only healthy people must make the job a bit easier and lower malpractice insurance rates. And you can probably charge the insurance company the same amount. I wish I had thought of this.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
yeah, I started my back working out this morning, it was tough at first, a little easier as it went on.. But I got real winded easily. Got home a little early from work, tried doing my after work sledgehammer swinging and I just didn't have the power. But, I guess it just going to take a few more days. Its amazing, what the body is capable of when your sick... It used all its energy to fight off the virus in my body.

hope you get back to normal asap.
I think there is a virus/stomach bug going around here (Long Island) but I'm certain that if I had/have it, it is a light version of it. I honestly think the headache today was just sinuses from the weather.....a little wet and my allergies are really sensitive to that until winter sets in.

I was supposed to do back today but wanted 100% for the "explosive" movements for deadlifts. I went to the gym but knew that type of intensity was a foolish test so took 2 Tylenol, some Afrin spray and just switched back and forth between treadmill and bike ending with a 4 sets on the leg press......light weight but built up a good sweat and felt better after than before and really good since I got home and showered. Not a muscle building session but got the heart going as I am finally back to pre-Covid strength.......which I include my routine back really starting in March because of a freak accident that hyper-extended my left elbow in August 2020........Full-blown routine officially started in March of this year with December '20 thru February as a sort of "pre-season routine".

I hope you feel better as I know many viruses leave the body starving for many of the vitamin Bs amongst other nutrients.

Gretschtim1

Country Gent
Dec 4, 2012
Dundalk, Md
Well seeing only healthy people must make the job a bit easier and lower malpractice insurance rates. And you can probably charge the insurance company the same amount. I wish I had thought of this.
The last Telephone Dr Appointment I did earlier this year cost me $50 co-pay and they charged my insurance company $240 for a stinking 10 minute phone conversation. It's a rip off and the insurance companies should refuse paying that much money. To me it's a form of malpractice. There are going to be a lot of people that go along with undetected diseases that could have been caught before the real damage happens. There's a health crisis going on in this country - patients being ignored because of one illness that 99% of the people that get it recover. Meanwhile people are dying from more serious illnesses because treatment is being delayed. It's crazy. I can't believe it! This is the first time I ever had a family doctor tell me to go to a medical center instead of going to see him. He should close his office and get a computer job where he could work from home.

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Many employers want a doctor's excuse for the simplest things like a cold or flu. If I'm down with either of those, the last thing I want, or need, is to go out and sit in a doctor's office. Bosses don't trust employees. Of course, I've learned not to trust bosses.

Gretschtim1

Country Gent
Dec 4, 2012
Dundalk, Md
Many employers want a doctor's excuse for the simplest things like a cold or flu. If I'm down with either of those, the last thing I want, or need, is to go out and sit in a doctor's office. Bosses don't trust employees. Of course, I've learned not to trust bosses.
Yeah I understand that but a doctor's job is to help people who are ill not talk to them on the phone. I can find more information on the internet than just talking on the phone with a doctor. I can save myself $50 in the process...:).

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
I think there is a virus/stomach bug going around here (Long Island) but I'm certain that if I had/have it, it is a light version of it. I honestly think the headache today was just sinuses from the weather.....a little wet and my allergies are really sensitive to that until winter sets in.

You and me both. I think it's leaf mold that gets me in the fall. Been using my neti pot about four times a week to keep it under control.

JCW513

Gretschie
Sep 21, 2017
Boston
The last Telephone Dr Appointment I did earlier this year cost me $50 co-pay and they charged my insurance company $240 for a stinking 10 minute phone conversation. It's a rip off and the insurance companies should refuse paying that much money. To me it's a form of malpractice. There are going to be a lot of people that go along with undetected diseases that could have been caught before the real damage happens. There's a health crisis going on in this country - patients being ignored because of one illness that 99% of the people that get it recover. Meanwhile people are dying from more serious illnesses because treatment is being delayed. It's crazy. I can't believe it! This is the first time I ever had a family doctor tell me to go to a medical center instead of going to see him. He should close his office and get a computer job where he could work from home.
yup, my uncle (by marriage) has a family history of colon cancer and polyps.. He was a year late w/ his colonoscopy because the way things are now, maybe a few other factors too... He had a scare, but luckily he is ok.... It could have gone the other way. Things like that are sadly common now.

Latest posts