The stomach bug thread

JCW513

Gretschie
Sep 21, 2017
Boston
Got it from my sister and nephews over Thanksgiving. It didn't hit me until early hours Monday morning. Woke up to my stomach making noises out of this world. I just laid there waiting for it to "happen"... Well it happened, proceeded to keep happening. When i wasn't throwing up or on the throne, I was sleeping. Tried working yesterday, I couldn't. I work in construction and work out 6 times a week, and most of the time its twice a day. I'm far from the worlds strongest man, but I can swing 20lbs sledgehammers with one arm, yesterday i couldn't even swing a pickaxe trying to break through the frost on the ground. This thing kicked the crap out of me.

I'm just grateful I got the bug, instead of grandma, or other older people we celebrated Thanksgiving with.

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
Sorry to hear that. My wife also came down with a stomach ailment right after Thanksgiving. Lasted about three days for her. The key after something like this is hydration. The "bug" has almost certainly left you dehydrated and you need to replenish.

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Sorry to hear that. As guitarfarm said, push fluids. Small frequent sips rather than than big gulps. Imodium for the diarrhea, up to 8/day. If you’re getting dizzy standing up or aren’t peeing, then you should be seen. As things settle down, start small amounts of bland food and advance as tolerated. Other worrisome signs - blood in the stool or vomitus, high fever. You may need stool cultures if the symptoms go beyond a week.

if you send me your insurance information, I’ll send a bill for this virtual visit. :)

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
The worst was not knowing which way to turn cause different “ends” were running for the door, so to speak.
I found it easiest to sit on the throne and install a bucket in front of me. Good luck!

Scamp

Gretschie
Feb 22, 2018
SoCal
Ginger helps with an upset tummy. Make a smoothie or even try ginger ale, which I like. Also if you want to try something to eat, eat crackers, any type. They're flakey, light and digest easily, don't eat bread. Sometimes it helps if you can try to keep something down. Start with small amounts, mouthful and slowly build up to more as it stays down.
This is the combo that works not only for me but many of my friends too. I thought it was weird the first time I heard it but it worked, especially the ginger.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Yikes hope you get better!

The worst was not knowing which way to turn cause different “ends” were running for the door, so to speak.
I found it easiest to sit on the throne and install a bucket in front of me. Good luck!
Lol. When I was around 10 I had a bug and suddenly puked while on the can. I had about a 2 second warning and knew I couldn't turn around, so I grabbed a bath towel hanging next to me and threw it on the floor and it managed to catch every drop.

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
When I started working in the hospital I asked a doctor what they use to stop diarrhea and he replied "We don't stop diarrhea, we want to get it all out." I always used Kao-pectate with good effect. These viruses get spread mostly by people failing to wash their hands properly. I used to claim that I got the cruise ship virus without the benefit of having been on a cruise, felt ripped off.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
When I started working in the hospital I asked a doctor what they use to stop diarrhea and he replied "We don't stop diarrhea, we want to get it all out." I always used Kao-pectate with good effect. These viruses get spread mostly by people failing to wash their hands properly. I used to claim that I got the cruise ship virus without the benefit of having been on a cruise, felt ripped off.
The patient may in fact receive IV fluids since diarrhea can dehydrated you. If you get fluids like that, stay near a bathroom for the next few hours. You may only get a minute warning that all those fluids are ready to go. Don't ask me how I know.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I missed the thread because I also got sick with a virus. Stomach? Thankfully not so much but fatigue and fever were there for days.

I also go to the gym and weightlifting is a part of my life. When I had this virus, I pushed it and got in the gym twice over the past week. Honestly, this all I could do........I was beat down hard and now realize I am now longer sick but am still "out of whack".

I played it safe today as I'm still not near 100%......I can't fall asleep but it is after 4:22am and cannot sleep.

I will ease into it very carefully.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Aw, that`s bad. Get well soon.
I have to take an antibiotic since 4 consecutive months. I feel your pain...

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I have travelled a lot in Asia including some off the beaten track locations. In my customarily curious and reckless way I usually ate local foods from street vendors, looking for a new taste experience. As a result I have had stomach bugs in Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, India, Vietnam and Bhutan. The worst was in Beijing where I ended up in hospital for the evening. Strangely the street food in Laos, Sri Lanka and Morocco gave me no problems at all! Stomach bugs are an awful experience! :(

Latest posts