The pandemic has brought back the guitar!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Sep 9, 2020.

1. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    It must have been me, I bought 5 guitars in the last 15 months. Ha Ha;)

Mr Swisher, Rmccamey, Waxhead and 5 others like this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I beat ya, but I also sold 7 or 8, I lost count. Instant buyers on Craigslist, all buying with cash....Crazy....

section2 and rake_ether like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, the pawn shop i usually score at has been dry. Its been pedals off CL for me.

radd likes this.
  4. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I think it is great to see. Never can have too many Gretsch pickers.

radd likes this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    "It’s not just graying baby boomer men looking to live out one last Peter Frampton fantasy."
    Hey, I resemble that remark!! LOL! And it's a Jimmy Page fantasy.

Thanks for the link, that is an interesting article. I wasn't aware that sales were trending down.
    One thing I read in what they wrote is that the used market may be flooded in the (near?) future as many new players move on to other things. At that point the sales of new may tank as buyers grab up good deals on barely-used instruments.

I'm not much of a player yet, I bought my first guitar this past January 2nd. But I'm a great collector and own 15 now. I've been joking that I should open a museum. Once I move back to Ohio I will display them all in a music room.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    section2, Rmccamey and radd like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Wow. If you asked me before reading the article I would swear that there are thousands and thousands of guitarists selling their gear because of the financial issues resulting from the crisis.

Rmccamey, Waxhead and radd like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have been in contact with three guitar stores in the last two weeks, each said the same thing, busy, busy, busy.

They told me, along with guitar sales, one of the most popular guitar related items selling big, home recording eq. Now that makes sense.

Tadhg likes this.
  8. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    10 Guitars since March 15th & 4 amps. ooops brown truck is close..so 5 amps soon. Upgraded to mega computer dedicated to recording

sold 4 guitars & 7 amps. Modded 7 guitars with pickups & wiring

Oddly started a 2nd Company in April. This is a record year for me. I hired during the pandemic.

In my case, since the accident 4 years ago. The gear is my sanity. Wanna gig...bad !!
    would trade all the gear to have our lives back..25 years //had Ampeg SVT &PF rigs & 2 basses..that was it..
    then 5 years ago switched to guitar..what the heck...lol... the gear is endless

Waxhead likes this.
  9. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I'm trying to live out a Wes Montgomery fantasy, but I'm just not good enough. :(

10. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    No, it was me. I bought 5 guitars in the last 10 days.

While we're talking sales, I sold 5 guitars in the 2 weeks after the stimulus checks dropped.

Jeff67 and rake_ether like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Brought it back ??:confused: .... never knew it left .

Stefan87 and radd like this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The guitar never went away it's just players with new ideas that has taken a hit over the past decade. It's easier to make music with samplers and loops than it is to learn an instrument like a guitar. Too many couch potatoes with no ambition.

johnny g, Rmccamey and Scott like this.
  13. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I see you're in Marietta, you must have bought one or two from Ken Stanton Music. I hear they're a fine store.

radd likes this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    That’s kinda a broad brush you’re painting with there...

mister rain likes this.
  15. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    It explains why the big LABOR DAY SALE banners on large retailer websites had little substance supporting them.

Although I don't expect the NYT article extends to PA gear sales these days.

16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Maybe. Id like to see the average and median age of the purchasers. 20 year olds are entering a job market with 8+% unemployment. Us old folks who have good paying jobs, can work from home and are last to be fired have no fancy vacations, dinners, expensive concerts, etc. to spend the money on.

This recession has been very lopsided.

17. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I have a mate who rang a sort of local retailer about a mic a month or two ago. They were out of stock. They had 75 coming into the country, he ended up being #69 on the pre-sale list. For a $750 microphone.

From what I can see, it's been feast or famine. People are either doing nothing at all and selling stuff to cover their bills, or they're incredibly busy. The middle ground (happily working away with less than they want but maybe enough for what they need) is what's disappeared.

Very much agree with your post too, Henry.

It's interesting they point to most new players being under 45, but it's not a majority under 24. I don't know that people taking up the guitar in their 30's is necessarily a long term future for the guitar. We need people under 20. Maybe the new Fender Billie Eilish signature Ukulele will be helpful to get kids started on the fretted instrument path..?

Henry likes this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    If your stuck in your house and want a musical hobby, there really is only one logical instrument choice, the polyphonic guitar. Ya can’t really order a piano on line and as great as horns are ya can’t really do much with one solo unless you are really good.

Guitar sales booming now makes sense, as does home recording eq.

19. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I tried to help out. Eleven new guitars and three new amps in the past twelve months.
    We didn't have a lock-down here, life was same as normal. I would have purchased the equipment even without the pandemic.

Rmccamey and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.