The One That Got Away

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by DougWheeler74, Jun 15, 2021.

1. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    A few years back a friend showed me an old amp and asked if I could put a grounded plug on it. I was new to old amps, not electronically but the historical value and playability. I took a look, studied up on what was involved and gave him a fair price. I thought he wanted to keep it. I even joked about buying it for a silly low price. After a few weeks I asked what he actually wanted for it and he informed me that he had sold it. He also sold the guitar that went with it.

The amp was an Oahu (old Valco) and I am guessing it was a lap steel guitar. It may be for the best as buying from friends can be tricky but I still wonder what if.

What have you let slip away?

Drock2k1 likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Late 70's - early 80's
    First issue of the Paul Stanley Ibenez Icemen series ......... Guitar was stolen ........ not for me thank you

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Time. It wasn't important to me when I was younger but it sure is now.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Add in health. I've got the time now, but I physically just can't do what I'd like.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a chance to get a Rik 12 for $250. OK, it was over 45 years ago, but even then that was a good price. I was getting married soon (didn't let her slip thru my hands) and going to uni. Just couldn't justify the expense.

Before I went into the service, I bought a 6 year old Chevy Impala. $600---not a bad deal in '69. Buddy saw it, and mentioned that I should've checked out the $400 1959 K-150 coupe his brother was selling. I'd probably would've wrecked that thing had I got it, or worse.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I could have purchased a couple of Dave Mustaine's Dean guitars that I wanted for like... $700/750. But I didn't because I technically didn't need them. Then they went up to like $1200. And then he left for Gibson. Now I can't get them.

6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I was in the US Navy stationed in Rota, Spain from '75 to '78. I got really lucky when not long after I got there a sailor (transferring back to the States) was selling his 1968 Triumph TR-250 sports car. I offered $1K, he took it and I enjoyed that car for years.

Spain had a rule that non-citizens could only own one non-Spanish car. At that time they had a 100% import tax that complicated things but my Triumph was the only car I could own (other than the crappy Spanish Fiat called a Seat).
    About a year later an officer was leaving and selling his car, a 1966 Jaguar XKE Coupe. Rare car with the low roof, not the ugly 2+2 version and I was glad it had the straight six instead of the unreliable and expensive V-12. He only wanted about $2K but was having trouble selling it. I scrambled to sell my Triumph but only had about a week and ran out of time, the military is not flexible with schedules, so I missed out.

I can't complain, the Navy shipped my Triumph to Maine when I transferred and I drove it for a year there and then hauled it in a truck back to Ohio when I got out.
    But yes that XKE will always be the one that got away. My dream car for most of my life but I'm at the point now where I don't want a collector car anymore.

The Triumph:
    1968-triumph-tr250.jpg
    Not the same car but same model XKE: Some considered this the most beautiful car ever made.
    61_Jaguar-E-Type-FHC_DV-10-PBC_c01.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Viking Power, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    My hair seems to have slipped away

Viking Power likes this.
  8. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    The beauty (of the Jag) is definitely not in the eye of this beholder. I find the Triumph way more attractive and fun looking that the Jag. To my eye the Jag looks cobbled together, the roof doesn't match or is not proportional to the body. Something is off. The Triumph looks purpose built, sporty, it might be a tad underpowered, but I imagine it can handle some tight corners and is really fun to drive.

9. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    An Orange danelectro dead on 67 reissue! It sounded so good and was unique and comfortable.....aaaaaaand sooooo cheaply made! Guitar Center was asking almost 400 for it and I figured there’d be one on Craigslist on the cheap soon enough so I passed. Huge mistake! They’re hard to find now and way more expensive
    upload_2021-6-15_16-22-21.jpeg

Viking Power and MrWookiee like this.
  10. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Maybe 35-40 years ago I talked with a guy at an auto parts swap meet about - of all things - a bassoon he had there amongst his car stuff. He thanked me for knowing it was a bassoon, as he'd been asked all day about the 'oboe', and wanted a couple hundred dollars. It would have been a great deal but I was there for car stuff, and didn't play bassoon after high school (until 2018), as college was all trombone. In fact, I didn't seriously play anything but the radio from 1985-2016. Giving up on music for all those years is the biggest regret of my life (so far).

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    And I forgot until just now...around 1975, the same time I bought my Triumph in the previous post, I ran across a guy selling a 1965 289 Shelby Cobra roadster for $10K. A real one, there were no clones back then.
    That price was high for the time and there was no way I could raise that much cash so I didn't even consider it but I'd loved that car since the first time I saw a pic and that would have been my dream car. I thought the 427 engine was too much (which it was) and liked the 289 version better.

In the years since that car value fluctuated but peaked at one million dollars a while ago. I see that recently one sold for $440,000, still would have been a pretty good investment!
    I wasn't lucky, I'm just an old car guy that was around when these cars were available.

Viking Power and MrWookiee like this.
  12. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Old car guy here, too. There was a time when I would have given my eye teeth for a 427 Cob'. Years later I read that Shelby himself and one of his pro drivers (I disremember which... maybe Bondurant?) said the 427 was so scary that even they were afraid of it.

13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    80's Yamaha SG - nice orange sunburst, set neck. Can't believe I wasn't willing to pitch in just a bit more to win that auction. To this day...

14. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    ‘62 Marshall JTM45 for €1200, right in my home town, I could have picked it up with my bicycle. Maybe 12 years ago.

Cars. Around the same time I got an offer from a Aussie neighbour in Bali who was in bad health and wanted to return to Oz, to buy his ‘80s red Mercedes 280SL Coupe for $250!
    In hindsight it may have been older model(not a car guy). It looked pretty much immaculate, but the suspension was shot. I declined cause my modest little beach condo didn’t have a garage, and I was worried about the saline sea breeze, so I thought what is the point letting it rust away. LOL, what an idiot!

15. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    A '65 Vibrolux, back in the '90s. It was sure battered as heck and it had power transformer replaced, but I could have had it for 400 dollars, maybe less as the shop was open to offers.
    At the time I played through my two Bassman Reissue in stereo so I couldn't care less. :)

16. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Somewhere around 30 to 35 years ago, a friend offered to sell me her ES-335 for $500. Who had $500 then? Not me. The guitar was cherry red, too...

17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I got the "one that got away" back and now we just celebrated our 9 year anniversary with two lovely boys and two super cute dogs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.