The Old Strap Button...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Duo Slinger, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:52 AM.

1. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Well, the hole for the bottom strap button on my G5420 is stripped, and it couldn't hold anything. I've been debating getting Schaeller's, and this seems like the time. But before I do, does anyone have any tried-and-true solutions?

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Toothpicks and a dab of Elmer's White glue and reinstall works for some folks. I opted for the Schallers and don't have to worry anymore. It's insurance.

new6659 and Duo Slinger like this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I would change to Schallers BUT I also would do the toothpick and glue thing

new6659, Skydog, Duo Slinger and 2 others like this.
  4. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Yes, you can use either a match or a toothpick. Remove any sawdust or debris from the hole, fill it with Elmer's glue, stick in the bit of wood, clean excess glue, cut flush (pre-cut if you don't have a fret cutter to cut flush without hurting the finish). Let it dry for a couple of hours, redrill.

As for the pins themselves, I find this type of design secure enough:
    [​IMG]

new6659 and Duo Slinger like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Schaller Strap Locks ...best insurance policy for a guitar . You'll never worry again

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 6.09.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 6.09.31 AM.png

G5422T, new6659, BentFX and 3 others like this.
  6. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Schaller S-Locks all the way. The screw is a bit bigger then the default screws, so you should be able to reuse the stripped hole.

7. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I use Schallers on all my guitars.
    The Gretsch strap buttons look really cool but they do work loose..

G5422T and Duo Slinger like this.
  8. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Dunlop strap locks. They're good enough for Duane Eddy...

Duo Slinger, jay_mci and Tony65x55 like this.
  9. BentFX

BentFX Electromatic

Dec 15, 2020
    Pacific NW, USA
    Well, seeing all the love that Schaller locks get, I decided to order a pair. I've got a set of rubber washer type locks that I use under the basic screw on nuts, they work for me and beyond that I don't care.

But given the price of the Schallers, it's worth the investment just to look like I do care. ;)

OzzPocket, Trash Kidd and Duo Slinger like this.
  10. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    2027FF58-63C8-4A60-A11E-D13A0505A60A.jpeg I just fitted them yesterday. Great quality product

Duo Slinger likes this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    whats w the elmers white glue..?? :) :) c'mon kids!
    my 2 scents
    Cocktail toothpicks (theyre flat and absorb more glue than the round ones and DO USE superglue gel (cyanoacrylate ) means youre in business in an hour, mask w cheapy blue painters tape.. redrill pilot holes (w a bit half the diameter of the screw threads) and insert schaller strap locks, and yes use the little felt washers they stop any spin (use the white ones, stew macs schallers come w black ones for $10, but they carry the white).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Duo Slinger, StillHollow and BentFX like this.
  12. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

The hole for the neck strap button on my 5622 stripped. I ordered a replacement set of Gretsch strap buttons. They looked like the ones on the professional series. When I compared the mounting screw from these with the one from the original set, it was thicker and with a more pronounced grove to the thread. It screwed nicely into the stripped hole and, so far, has been holding very nicely. Certainly feels well supported. One of those little differences between the Electromatics and Pro series that don't seem much in themselves but all start to add up.

My Annie comes with Schallers and these are good. Don't know how they compare pricewise with the Gretsch replacement buttons but don't think you can go too far wrong with either.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    having a gretsch strap knob come off and roll away on stage is totally irritating. hence locking strap systems like schaller and dunlop on all straps

Scott, Duo Slinger and Trash Kidd like this.
  14. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    Schallers are great and I have them on all but my new Gretsch, but they won't solve the problem the OP stated. Yes, the screw is slightly larger, but as others said, still do the toothpick and glue treatment.

15. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Shoreline, WA
    Schallers and then when they work loose, toothpicks and wood glue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.