The Not-So-Flat Truth About Flatwound Strings & Gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Gretschie

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    FYI @Byron, Strings Direct in the U.K. sell individual Thomastik strings so you can make up your preferred set.

2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Flats on a Strat!:eek:

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    In the Surf era, that was quite common.

Philtertronic, Axis39 and ZackyDog like this.
  4. LeSainte

LeSainte Gretschie

Oct 4, 2021
    New York
    Wow, very insightful. I use the Martin Retro monel strings on two of my guitars. I can confirm that they sound exactly as they should: Vintage.

Axis39 likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah, i used to use them on my old Jazzmaster, may again because its so bright, either that or get rid of the 1meg pots.

Axis39 likes this.
  6. Byron

Byron Country Gent

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Damn it, I was enjoying a good ol' boy rant

7. afire

afire Country Gent

Fenders and HiloTron Gretsches are the two types of guitars that I find beg for flats. Dynasonics can go either way, but it's always rounds for FilterTrons with me.

GlenP likes this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes, according to Beach Boy, David Marks @7:42.

MrWookiee likes this.
  9. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    I am a diehard, dedicated Thomastik and Pyramid fan! I love my Jazzswing 10-44 sets!

I will, however, not be shy in saying that D'Addario Chromes are some of the worst strings I've ever tried.

I have T-I's and Pyramids on almost all of my electrics. The only one I don't is my new Strat. It's got Fender 250's, nickel on a round core. I like them a lot on that guitar.

I do run the new Martin Retros on my Acoustics as well. As stated, they sound 'vintage'. Which works for the traditional Blues I play on them,

I tried a monel set on one of my guitars and had mixed feelings about them. They didn't sway me away from my T-I's. But, they sounded okay. I would probably try a couple more sets to find ones I liked.

Groutsch likes this.
  10. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I played flats for a good 12 years or so. I only recently weaned myself back onto rounds! Either way the change takes some getting used to.

11. afire

afire Country Gent

That's what I (and I suspect Synchro) was talking about on the last page. When I first tried them, I was somewhat intrigued, since they're unexpectedly bright for flats. And then they die almost immediately and turn to a lifeless thud and are miserably stiff to boot. One is immeasurably better off just shelling out for good round core nickel flats like TIs or Pyramids.

Groutsch and Axis39 like this.
  12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Hmm, I wonder how well they would sound on a 12-string Gretsch with BT FilterTrons.

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I have Chromes on my Warwick Bass, and they are ok in that application. For guitar use, I find them initially harsh, then they quickly become dead-ish. I hate to say this, because I truly appreciate doing business with companies such as D’Addarrio, but IMHO, Chromes need a re-think.

JMO, but round cores and pure nickel wrap make for great strings. If you want the sound of vintage strings, etc. these are the way to go.

Axis39 likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I couldn’t Wade through the whole thread and vid but on this point I’m right there with you. I have Jazz Swings on a Strat and Penguin and Jazz Bebops on a Strat and a Minarick. Love them will never go back heck I even put a set of Thomastik mandolin strings Stark on my Old Wave Oval hole, you want sticker shock check out 50$ plus for a set but you know what. All these instruments are over two years with these strings and still sound amazing. With the NYXL I would get 6-9 months and standard DaDs two to three months but would leave them on longer just because O didn’t want to change them that often even if they needed it. I have friends who change strings every week or less! Even at 5$ a set I’m ahead of the game with the expensive one.

i can’t remember if I’m using 12s or 13s but they feel great.

Axis39 and ZackyDog like this.
  15. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Gretschie

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    I have Pyramids on one of my Duo Jets and they sound good but I’ve yet to try TIs. How would you describe the difference between Pyramids and TIs @Axis39?

16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I need to know how many yrs

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If you are looking for some voodoo magic done to a set of TI for you just send me a set and I’ll set them under my deck for the winter. Although right now it has warmed up so we are only at -3F but this morning at -12 it has to be as good as cryogenically treated strings right? Hahhaha sorry I couldn’t resist!

Axis39 and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  18. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    This is my experience as well. I get a good 18 months or so, at least, out of T-I's. That's practicing a couple of hours, 4 out of 7 days a week, plus gigging four to five times a month. Try that with ANY round wound string!!!

Round wounds I get a month. Maybe six weeks? If I'm lucky..

Financially, T-I's and Pyramids are way out front in the ROI battle. Tone-wise? Well, I love my flats! Ahead there, too!

They're close... I think T-Is may last a little longer... But, I wouldn't say it's night and day. I would say the T-Is feel slightly more velvety. They might be slightly more flexible when just pulled out of the pack as well... T-I's feel almost limp when you pull 'em out. Pyramids may feel more like other strings when loose.

Tone-wise? Man, I can't say much... Maybe the T-I's are just a hair brighter... Maybe? It isn't much of a difference, for sure. Not like Chromes vs. either of these two. But, I doubt I'd be able to guess much more than that? It's been a while since I had a set of Pyramids to compare. I bought some extra sets of T-Is on sale a couple years ago and haven't run out yet.

19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I think we'd need absolute Kelvin wouldnt we? :)

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was outside a few hours the other day in negative temps. Sure felt like negative kelvin at the time! Hahhaha if we get that cold maybe we can finally harness zero point energy, with our strings!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.