The magic of the Telecaster

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Stefan, Jul 6, 2020.

1. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    My second partscaster became a shopping list of things I'd been wanting: ebony board, bellycut, slight arm bevel, 1:21 tuners, back route, etc. This guitar into my Princeton SE with a Celstion cream alnico is an incredible match.
    tele tree.jpg

Snorre, thunder58, nickurso and 4 others like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Even better!

Snorre and ruger9 like this.
  3. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Back in the day every country band had a steel guitar. The tele's starting taking over as the lead and instrumental. No need to haul a steel, steel frame and bench and all those darn cables to all your gigs. Just sling a tele, drop a jack and you are ready to go.

Snorre likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Killer vid. He’s an unreal player.

Snorre and Stefan like this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Tried it again and it still doesn't sound like Josh's.;)

[​IMG]

Waxhead, thunder58, nickurso and 8 others like this.
  6. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Wyn, is that the custom one made for you by your Japanese luthier friend?

Snorre and audept like this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Yep. The Telecaster is the ultimate instrument for the advanced player who‘s able to use all of her potential. No other guitar is so dynamic and responsive, at least in my experience.

Snorre, G5422T and RomanS like this.
  8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m fond of Telecasters.
    I have this one:
    8DDD3E15-E87E-47EE-BC50-E2C6FEAC018E.jpeg I also just put down a deposit on a custom build pine tele with broadcaster style pickups from a local luthier.

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Another Tele fan here, if I'm not playing the gretschs I'm playing the tele, truth be told I'd probably gig more with it then the other guitars simply for versatility.
    Had a parts caster in the past and the current one is only a squier but a proper american/japanese made one would be great if I ever decided to get another one.

Snorre and G5422T like this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, no plans on buying any more guitars. I'm set, I'm blessed with some dang good ones.

That said, if it happened, it will be another Tele or Esquire.

The right Squire would be fine too. My main Tele must is a good '52 type neck, maybe with a 9.5" radius.

I like them simple, and that's the magic tone to my ears.

Nothing sweeter than the bridge piano like highs that can be coaxed out of these planks.

But, I'm not buying another guitar! Lol

Snorre and Stefan87 like this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm with you, no more guitars for me in the near future.

Simplicity is the best in my opinion, basics work and teles are a basic as anything.

Snorre and G5422T like this.
  12. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Snorre and Gretschmen65 like this.
  13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes is it is. Besides being a great player with a great sound, it's also a work of art!

Snorre and MTurner like this.
  14. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Telecasters? Oh, I've got some Telecasters...(left to right): Fender FSR Standard Telecaster in Surf Green, Fender FSR Limited Edition American Vintage '52 Telecaster - Roasted Ash, and a Fender Player Telecaster HH in Tidepool Blue...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my parts build, still a work in progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Components I have so far:
    - Pistol's Crown Guitars Barncaster 2020 in Seaside Blue T-style soft maple body (super lightweight!)
    - Spitfire pickguard
    - Allparts TRO-FAT Neck
    - Glendale Brass Telecasater Saddles
    - True Custom Shop® Schaller Bare Brass Strap Lock Buttons for Fender Telecaster
    - StewMac Electrosocket Jack Mount - Gold
    - StewMac Premium Wiring Kit for Telecaster
    - Genuine Fender Guitar GOLD Neck Plate Mounting Screws

Components waiting to be delivered:
    - Lindy Fralin Split Blade Tele Pickups - Aged White
    - Armadillo Control Plate - Brass
    - Armadillo Vintage "L" Bridge Brass Plate (sides-less)
    - Armadillo Dome Style Knobs - Brass, Light Knurl
    - Armadillo Brass Neck Plate for Telecaster
    - Armadillo Brass String Ferrules with Lip

Pistol's Crown Guitars Barncaster Tele and Strat bodies are very cool and done by a one-man shop in Texas - check out Jorge Ibarra's creations at https://pistolscrownguitars.com/

Michael at Armadillo makes some really wonderful brass components for Teles - check out Armadillo at https://www.armadilloguitar.com/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    audept, nickurso and new6659 like this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Love that guitar

Snorre and calebaaron666 like this.
  16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx man!

Snorre and nickurso like this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah Tele's pretty much all look the same with little character but yours is different and has loads of personality. So yours and @nickurso with a filtertron are my fav's posted so far :D

I went for something different too in my Tele and have single coil tones covered in my Strat.
    So I got a Tele Deluxe with 2 humbuckers that split coil to make it super versatile.

In full humbucker mode it sounds similar to an SG.
    Split the coils and it delivers standard Tele tones o_O

[​IMG]

Snorre, thunder58, audept and 3 others like this.
  18. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Brand new Tele love! Fantastic sound!!

Snorre and RomanS like this.
  19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    No offense, but isn’t the typical Singlecoil/Singlecoil configuration a main part of the Telemagic?

Snorre and RomanS like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No problem :)
    Yes of course the single coil sound is a large part of the Tele sound and it's magic is not much different to a Strat.
    The 2 models share many tones.

So there's also a legitimate place for Tele's with different pup types imo.
    If you also have a good Strat, don't want more single coil type guitars but want the playability, comfort and work horse style of a Tele then why not put humbuckers in it.

So either Filtertrons or PAF style humbuckers sound great in a Tele provided you combine it with 500k pots.
    Then if you also split coil the humbuckers you've got both trad Tele single coil tones plus humbucker solid body tones. That makes for a better, more versatile Tele for me :D

So my Tele with 2 x Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Combo pups and 500k pots sounds similar to an SG plus the trad Tele single coil. I've always wanted to try a Tele with 2 x TV Jones Classics but never seen one.

Those 2 dopes in the Andertons video posted above talk and talk endless crap but don't say what TV Jones pups are in those guitars they have, nor what value pots. We know here that TV makes many different types of filtertrons. The old Cabronita model used a cheap TV Jones pup he made specifically for Fender on the Cabronita. It's the worst filtertron TV has ever made imo. But those 2 on the Andertons video wouldn't know.

The other issue with filtertrons/humbuckers in Tele's is they need 500k pots.
    Fender has had a design fault going forever on their Deluxe models by installing 250k pots in them with humbuckers. Makes them overly dark.

So when I changed the pots on mine to 500k it completely opened up the guitar and it sounded like a humbucker SG while retaining everything else that's great about Tele's. And when changing to single coil I just roll down the tone pots a bit to get trad Tele tones.

Being mainly a humbucker/filtertron guy I rarely use the single coil option on my Deluxe.
    I've got a Strat for that :eek:

Snorre likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.