The Knife Feels Like Justice in Vintage Guitar Magazine

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Jun 20, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    In addition to the excellent article on the original Duo Jet by our own Ed Ball, the current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine includes a 35 th anniversary review of Brian Setzer’s initial solo album, The Knife Feels Like Justice. Although the lead picture shows him playing a telecaster - which is jarring - it is well written, arguing the generally album is underrated. What do you think of it?

image.jpg image.jpg

Here's Ed's article (originally published back in 2011)

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Stefan, Shadowy_Man, DasherF and 3 others like this.
  2. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    It definitely looked weird seeing Setzer with a Tele. :eek:

DasherF, drmilktruck and thunder58 like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Not as weird as this photo that was at the bottom of this GT page, a skinny Elvis playing a Strat..:eek:

8F7E8908-28B6-45E0-8547-EC5AA72F8F89.jpeg

4. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I have that album -- on the original cassette bought when it came out and on CD that I picked up recently. One of my favorite albums from that time of my life. I seem to recall it getting luke warm to bad reviews and that was likely the catalyst for getting me to seek music on my own and not rely on what was being fed to me. Such a great record!

Les Pedals and drmilktruck like this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I always liked that album,and loved the 12 string stuff on it too.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I agree with the review that the album aligns with more mainstream 80s “heartland” or Roots rock sound. However I think the songs where there’s some dirt in Brian’s voice and guitar are the most successful. Otherwise the production and guitars are pretty thin as is his voice. That mid-80s sound hasn’t aged well. (Nor has his mullet.) Radiation Ranch, Barbed Wire and Bobby’s Back I think are among the highlights.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Setzer without a hollow body is like a day without sunshine .....

pilgrim, ruger9, Shadowy_Man and 4 others like this.
  8. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    radd,

Slight correction...''holding a guitar as a prop''

BIB

Robbie, drmilktruck and radd like this.
  9. I, living a sheltered life, have not heard the album.

Henry likes this.
  10. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    One of my favorite records once I was trying to rehab from rockabilly retreat in early 90s :)
    I even included Boulevard of Broken Dreams on my band’s live set at the time.
    Those were my “Americana” roots before I listened to Uncle Tupelo. :D

oneforsorrow and drmilktruck like this.
  11. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    It's a great album. I have had it since the day it came out and I went to his tour for that album covering it for my college newspaper. My friend puts it on whenever I get back to America and we get together.

It seemed to me at the time that the thinking was that rockabilly/Stray Cats was over, so where was BS to go? Into country like Jerry Lee? Or? I assumed that because John Cougar was big at the time that this is the road Brian chose and released the Knife Feels Like Justice. Although it turned out to be a false start it blows away anything John Cougar did (strictly my opinion). Brian Setzer in addition to everything else is a great songwriter.

stiv and drmilktruck like this.
  12. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Just goes to show you that if you are standing next to Ann-Margret, anything is possible!

sgarnett, ishtar, j.s.c and 2 others like this.
  13. slaminsam

slaminsam Electromatic

Apr 11, 2021
    Texas
    According to a friend of mine in the industry who knows Brian, Brian said that he did use a Telecaster for the "Knife Feels Like Justice" album. Everyone thought it was odd when all we had seen him was with a Gretsch. My friend said when he ask Brian to sign his KFLJ CD, Brian's comment was "I knew my mom had one of the two that sold and I wondered who got the other" I remember buying the cassette when it came out so he sold at least 4 because I bought a CD after the tape wore out.

oneforsorrow and drmilktruck like this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    fan nerds like me have been watching him play a tele since the get go. Cool that they mentioned this era of Brian even though I cant stand it, and yet ended up with one of his guilds from that era. I accept it openly though because it was necessary for his evolution. :)

Shadowy_Man and drmilktruck like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I don't see a problem with Setzer playing a Tele. He grew musically, then got a Gretsch.
    Besides---there's a lot of Tele love here on G-T.

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    What a hottie ...

Robbie likes this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, at the time I though they (the industry) were trying to turn Brian into a new Tom Petty instead of a new Mellencamp (although you were right, there's a bit of both into the album). I mean the guy could sing fabulous vocals (as well as play like a god), so it was perfect for the AOR market and at the time major labels had billions to spend on artist's careers.
    I always tought the record was great but Brian is god given to play traditional music. All his others solo records are better than this, which it's just not Brian's cup of tea.

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Must not think impure thoughts, must not think impure thoughts. (I did think of the town sign in Schitt's Creek, the one with the sister and brother.)

sgarnett and radd like this.
  19. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I actually listened to this album for the first time a few months ago. What surprised me was:

Radiation Ranch:

Drive Like Lightning:

And also…

Aztec:

Cry Danger:

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    You mean there's a dude on this forum that wrote that Duo Jet article?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.