The joy of playing loud

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Life is short... just crank it!

Medium John, audept and loudnlousy like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Maybe you should better not wait anymore an get one. I heard that Thomas Reußenzehn got seriously ill and had to close his shop this spring already.:( Hope he gets well soon. He is a good guy and one of the real originals around.

3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    It's been many a year since i had my aul 60's 6120 turned up full through my uncles 120W Orange combo,what a sound!

Can't do high volume these days sadly.:(

loudnlousy, new6659 and Mr Swisher like this.
  4. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Yes, for you youngsters, your hearing is something you really appreciate when you get older, often not until it's too late. If I could play loud (we're on IEMs too) for fun I think would get a pair of those Etymotic ear plugs for musicians.

5. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    I concur..agree & support..lol & salute you with 150 watts of pure tonal bliss rig !!

By a Kiss Recto LP.jpg

Groutsch, Mr Swisher and loudnlousy like this.
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I'm also living in an apartment now (I just moved into the apartment last week). I haven't played my guitars or synth in the apartment yet, but I wouldn't want to disturb the neighbors. I'll be playing on relatively low volume or with headphones.

7. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    and if that doesn't work...lets daisy chain this madness

6heads (2).jpg

8. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    ....am I the only one that misses playing in a large space, with a band, and in front of 100-200 people? All volumes past noon...libations flowing....dancing....(sigh)

loudnlousy and Mr Swisher like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ear ringing sucks but I have had it so long I am able to function without it bothering me much but it is loud 24/7. I was told years ago I should go to the VA for disability sometimes hearing things is hard but I haven’t, it just seems like a pain and I’m not it is the right thing to do. But for those of you lot wearing protection just imagine trying to sleep with a few thousand locust on bed with you.

doc538, new6659 and loudnlousy like this.
  10. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    As someone who is half-deaf because of non-musical reasons (birth defect, artificial parts), you don't realize how much you use stereo hearing until you don't have it.

That said, wear plugs/protection and crank it!

loudnlousy likes this.
  11. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I know what you mean, OP. Love the digital / modeling stuff for recording... It's alright for practice too but when I plug in and crank up my LSS, it puts the energy in the room and makes the music feel alive. I had a basement when I lived in the Midwest that was perfect for being loud but after many sessions that caused ringing in my ears, I chose to dial it back a notch.

loudnlousy likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Three full-stacks in the eighties, man. And sometimes an audience of 6.000+. Those where the days.:)
    But it was a neccessity then because the PAs where week. And it did not mean playing "on eleven".
    I am no idiot and I really do care for my hearing. Neither were my friends back in the day.
    It is toying with your guitar`s volume. Set your vintage one-channel-amp on maximum tone for lead, (that means no microphonic feed-back be it an Boogie, AC30, a JTM45 or my Reußenzehns) (and not everything dialed to 10+) and back down for rhythm. Easy and very useable when you play a suitable amp. The problem of most multi-channel amps is that they simply lack the dynamics to serve as a one-channel amp "with more options".
    Besides this you could not get a gig back then when not promoting yourself as a veritable guitar hero without this kind of backline. I still think that playing with an impressive backline of Marshall-stacks still helps visually these days, although it is technically totally useless.

new6659 and Mr Swisher like this.
  13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    First tube amp I ever bought was a Peavey 3120. Came with a free 4x12 slant cab. Great amp but it was too much for a condo dweller. I sold it but wished I hadn’t. I have my Bugera powersoak when I want to crank up my amps.

loudnlousy and Bertotti like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep, this is my first year with some sort of attenuators. It makes all the difference in the world. Crank her up till you got what you want but still keep it at a ear saving level. But every now and then it’s fun to make the windows rattle!

loudnlousy and BCRatRod73 like this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I do it daily.. but my ears ring and I cant answer them. :) Ran my quilter 202 tone block w my vox clone cab w silverbell 65s, punched by the Fez. that little amp rips w overdrive

16. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Did turn my closet it into an ISO booth. Sure did realize last few years..protecting the hearing is very important. Had to find the compromise..my attenuation is how much i leave the door open & fully closed during tracking.

Might of been Neil Peart of Rush,article about tinnitus few years back,,got me on track.

17. FiveAces

FiveAces Electromatic

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    It was never about hearing the sound.... it was about feeling it! You know.... when you you feel that vib shoot through your body and those specific notes or chords that resonated in your bones and send a spontaneous chill up your spine!!! Alas.... now-a-days those chills are usually because someone turned up the A/C......

doc538, loudnlousy and new6659 like this.
  18. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah, flares!

loudnlousy and audept like this.
  19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Bell-bottoms!

20. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    The late 60's to the late 70's - the decade that style forgot!! ;)

loudnlousy and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.