The joy of playing loud

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, Oct 11, 2020.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I really think that digital modelling has it`s rightful place in recording. And this thread should not be the place to compare modelling vs. analogue.
    In fact I bought a Spark modeller and enjoyed it during the last couple of weeks.
    It is something that gives you a simulation of a posh produced guitar-tone that you know from records. In fact you get tones that are a thousand dollars worth at the price of a stomp-box.
    Because of the lock-down my friends and I have not played for nearly 8 months. So practising at home at bedroom-levels was the only option. The Spark came handy and got me some relieve.

But yesterday I went to our abandomed and empty rehearsal space because of having the urge to play really loud and letting off some steam.
    I plugged a Strat into a Crybaby and my trusty old Reußenzehn amp and let my pantlegs flap in front of two 4x12s. What a joy. Sparks flying around ....overtones blooming ....feedback like Uncle Ted.
    The sheer randomness of tones happening by pure accident grabbed me and made me feel totally high. Frank almighty. What a joy.
    I will do it again next weekend.
    So should you.
    It is therapy.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The heck with the neighbors!

3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I haven’t done this in years now. I was 15 in 1993 when I started playing in earnest to the packed clubs(remember those?!), armed with a Telecaster and a tweed Fender Blues Deville(60w 2x12). I played LOUD(!!!!!!), ALL the time. I mean, LOUD. And it was wonderful. The guitar felt like an earthquake.

Now I play ampless and listen on teeny-tiny in-ear-monitors at low volume because I’m afraid to lose my hearing.

I DO miss the old days sometimes. Just not at load-out. Lol

4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    On FB marketplace today a guy is selling a 120W Bugera tube head for $300.
    That's not really my style of amp but wow that is cheap. It would really be fun to plug it into a full stack and blow my ears out.

BCRatRod73, loudnlousy and Mr Swisher like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I gave up on a straight cab 4x12 but doggone tomorrow I am firing up the xxx half stack and letting her rip! I will wake up everyone you just might here me in Germany! Just listen for the loud noise that only sort of resembles music!

loudnlousy and Mr Swisher like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    And I didn't need to be reminded of this amp, Reußenzehn amp, because ever since you brought them to my attention I have gased lightly for one.

7. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I love to ‘open up’ my amps from time to time. Mine are 40-50 watt blackface amps with either 4x10, 2x10 or 2x12 Speaker cabs. When I do crank them I never stand in the line of fire for hearing sake. I’m always off to the side of the amp. It feels great tho to turn it up but it’s usually in 15-20 minute spurts.

Medium John, RG7X, loudnlousy and 2 others like this.
  8. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
  9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Did you say something?

10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I love to play loud so that I can hear the nuances of tone over the constant ringing in my ears;)

Medium John, doc538, capnhiho and 6 others like this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah, the late '60s: I used to love the feel of my jeans flapping against my legs driven by 8 Celestion G12Ms!

12. Billy C

Billy C Country Gent

Aug 17, 2010
    El Mirage Arizona
    I'm always reminded that I play loud, my left ear doesn't hear that well so that be the reason for sure. But to me it isn't loud it's just what I like to hear. So that being said I go to my small music room close the doors and let it rip, for sure.................................

13. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Everything rhymed when my amp was dimed.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Now you understand why my bedroom amp is a Bassman. :)

15. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Telecaster and Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12, the first edition. A naturally loud amp, even after I replaced the Master volume pot with a linear one. Tuned to open G, cranking out Brown Sugar. It's been too long since the ponies ran.

In winter, when all the neighbors have their furnaces on, with their windows closed, and the wife is out of the house...that's when I get my chance these days. The pictures do get knocked askew, and the plates do in fact rattle in the cupboards.

I work in a rather large distribution center, and before I eventually retire I have this dream of coming in on a Saturday, when no one is around, and with the boss's permission as my 'last request', to allow me the chance to crank it up in there.

16. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    If I want to play loud I have to use earplugs because of the old tinnitus. Kind of defeats the purpose.

capnhiho and loudnlousy like this.
  17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Apartment dweller and not currently in a working band. The closest I can get is cranking the volume and turning down the master to get that tube crunch. :(

CalicoSkies and loudnlousy like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Moms everywhere chime in---"TURN IT DOWN!!!"

Don't forget---jsut one watt can get the constables at your door.

Of course, sometimes, ya just gotta let 'er rip.

19. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I plug my acoustic guitar direct to PA at church, I usually set my volume slider about half way when they sound check and do some light strumming. When I finger pick I can turn it up and still be heard pretty well balanced with the piano. If I feel really adventurous, I bring my stereo chorus and plug into two hard panned DI channels, and it really fills the space.

Yeah, I know, not the kind of loud you are talking about, but that’s my regular gig, which I haven’t been able to do for a while. Just being able to hear that big sound in whatever space you have is pretty magical.

capnhiho, Bertotti and loudnlousy like this.
  20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    As Tony said, I want to preserve my hearing. However, I still bust out some volume every once in a while - it's amazing to feel as much as hear. Sometimes, I'll put in ear plugs and play loud so I can feel my house shake and my body vibrate.

And there is no substitute for that sensation when your guitar and amp start to couple under feed back. The guitar starts jumping in your hands and the amp feels like an extension of your hands.

capnhiho, Groutsch, new6659 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.