The great Gretsch pickup (& maybe Bigsby arm) rotation of 2021

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I decided on 2 or 3 Gretsches to thin the herd by which will in turn free up a couple/few sets of TVJs to play with. The 3 I decided were staying that I've thought about pickup swaps in previously were the '16 6128T, the '13 6137-TCB, & possibly the '05 6119-1962HT.

After much contemplation, I finally decided the 6128T might be the best host for the SuperTron/Classic + set I recently took out of my 5620 in preparation for it to find a new home. I really haven't been into the HS Filters in this one from day one, at one point I dropped a PowerTron + in at the bridge but it wasn't really doing much for me there:
    [​IMG]
    I still need to spend some more time tweaking the heights, but where I left it for the evening is seeming like a marked improvement for me so far:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think next up I'll be grabbing the T-Armonds from the '01 Silver Jet & dropping them into the Panther, w/ the DE arm from it winding up on either the Panther or the Duo Jet.

If I finally decide to try something else in the Tenny I'll use the Classic/Classic + set that the Silver Jet originally came to me wearing, although it's a tough call vs. the Super/Classic+ I just put in the 6128. Really not looking forward to trying to fish the pots out & back in through the pickup cavities of it though (plus it seems slightly more sacrilegious to swap the pickups on that one for some reason). It might also get the Chet arm from the B6C V-cut I had put on the 5620.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    loudnlousy, Waxhead, ZackyDog and 2 others like this.
  2. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Fun stuff. Honestly, I found the things I hate most about working on my 5120 are the ground wire to the Bigsby and the output jack, they're a royal pain compared to the rest of the wiring, and even that's not that bad once I suck it up and get on with it. Don't rule out putting pickups in the wrong positions - I've got a bridge filter in the neck spot on my Jet and it worked out pretty well.

-m

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, I guess the Tenny is at least fully hollow. Shouldn't be as bad as the 5655 Double Jet was initially w/ the combo of no open cavities, no F holes, & a full centerblock :mad: I'm glad I wound up just wiring up a whole new harness & punting it to my luthier friend for install on that one.

Still I'm kinda conflicted on the HiLos in the Tenny, they sound great in there as is to me but I always thought something a bit more extra might be even better for me??? They have a real nice natural patina on the covers that kinda goes w/ the rest of the hardware so that might just wind up being the tie breaker that has them staying put for now.

mr coffee likes this.
  4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Good luck on the swaps. Sounds like you've done a lot of thinking in advance. Will be waiting to see how they turn out.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I got the T-Armonds replaced w/ a set of HS FilterTrons in the Silver Jet & swapped back to the stock Bigsby arm & spring. Once I realized my volume pots weren't going to fit through the F-holes on the Panther & I was going to need to take the whole harness out through the pickup cavity I kinda lost momentum on getting them actually wired up this evening, but did some test fitting & swapped over to the DE arm & snapped a couple pics:
    [​IMG]
    It's kinda the same story as it was w/ the Silver Jet for the bridge T-Armond where once you have the mounting shims in there's barely enough string clearance, hopefully it's enough to sound good or I guess I go the route of gluing in some mounting blocks to screw them into directly to make a bit more space for height adjustment:
    [​IMG]
    I think I've decided I'll need to get another DE arm for the Duo Jet, they just look & feel so right to me...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Merc and G5422T like this.
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Cool projects you have there, love black duo jets with the 'V' cut bigsbys.
    Didn't you also have a penguin as I thought that would've stayed with you if I'm thinking of the correct one?

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks! Yeah, the Penguin isn't going anywhere :)

Think it's just the 5620 (mostly just because of the weight), the '01 Silver Jet (also partly because of the weight but mostly just never quite fell in love with the sounds), & the 2627 (which has wound up feeling kinda dead in the action to me whatever we tried to do with it) that will be moving along this time.

Stefan87 likes this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Can't argue with that. Like you, the "DE" arm is just "it" for me.

Nice job

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    @Sid Nitzerglobin Ok cool, I didn't think you'd sell the penguin, shame about the Silverjet as that does look super cool, but if your not feeling the love for it no point holding onto it.

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, the Silver Jet plays great & I really like the looks but it seems more like a Les Paul to me than a Duo Jet in a lot of ways. It's a great guitar in many respects IMO but I haven't been playing it so decided it should find someone new.

Stefan87 likes this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah fair enough.
    Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the supertron/classic+ combo once you get that dialed in, all this talk of supertrons is making me think about putting either those or powertrons in my 5230T jet, really interested to know how the ST go in medium to high gain territory for a more rock sound.

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Got the 2nd DE arm & swapped it onto the Duo Jet last evening:
    [​IMG]
    It's surprising how much hollow body character this one has amplified w/ these pickups. It sounds significantly more like a big archtop than the 5620 did somehow, but so far seems to be working great for the cleaner stuff or the more aggressive dirty. I'm really liking the SuperTron at the neck a lot, still trying to get the Classic + a bit more balanced against it, more in the frequency content than the output. I'm almost tempted to find a bridge SuperTron to try in this one, but I still think the current set is going to work a good bit better for me than the HS Filters.

Planning to get the T-Armonds actually wired up in the Panther over the weekend.

calebaaron666 and new6659 like this.
  13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Wired up the T-Armonds in the Panther this afternoon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll still likely be tweaking pole piece heights a bit, but it turned out I have a lot more room from adjustment of the body height than I was expecting. So far these are sounding awesome in the Panther to me, so much more of the fat twang I was looking for w/ them than in the Silver Jet. I think Panther will finally be getting played as much as it ought to now :D

j.s.c, new6659 and calebaaron666 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.