The Good Ol' Days....Not

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by journeyman, Jan 13, 2020.

1. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    I read somewhere of a conversation between a Gretsch fan and Fred Gretsch Jr. that went something like this:
    Fan: It would be great if Gretsch could get back to making guitars like the old Brooklyn ones.
    Fred: Over my dead body.

I knew the intonation on my 1960 Annie above the 12th fret was off, but I thought they couldn't possibly have miscalculated the fret spacing. Well, while in the shop for some other work, I asked the luthier to check it out. Sure enough, the formula is off by about an 8th of an inch between the nut and top fret. I had stopped playing much above the 12th fret because it sounded so bad.

I love the guitar, a 6125 conversion to a double Annie with light trestle bracing, so I'll be putting on a new fingerboard. I already had it refretted, but oh well, the things we do for love.:)
    IMG_20190504_125718769.jpg

T Bone, Outlaw, BorderRadio and 5 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    An 8th of an inch?! Yikes, that is pretty bad.

Don’t discount natural causes. I read an account of a vintage 50/60 ish LP which had such bad shrinkage of the fretboard, it ended up a 24” scale!

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sharp lookin' guitar ;)

4. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Beautiful guitar. I have a set of Dynasonics that I'm planning to put on my 5420 but can't figure out how to mount them. Your pic gives me some idea. Thanks! :- )

5. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's a lot to be said for computer accuracy.

journeyman, emitex and new6659 like this.
  7. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    I made a plexi riser with holes that matched the position of the original Filter'tron and then screwed the Dearmond directly to that with very short screws. After all that though, I recently put my old set of TV Jones HTs in it and it feels like I'm home; love those pickups.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well you vintage lovers can keep (and enjoy) your vintage guitars.
    I have no interest in vintage correct anything.
    Post 2003 to now is the golden era of Gretsch imo :D

9. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Where did this old thread come from?

It does show that thunder58 has been a moderator long before his recent appointment. There ya go? :)

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have a 1960 Double Anni (HiLos) that needed to have the neck and frets completely redone. Sounds pretty sweet though and smells amazing.

dak55 likes this.
  11. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    I certainly wouldn't know but I suspect he might have been referring to construction methods, materials, and techniques more than critiquing his quality. Any manufacturer of anything of that era would undoubtedly say the same. We would have to still be around in 65 years to see how the new ones hold up. And of course central heat and air is now the norm not the exception which was the opposite at the time. So if there is a young member living in South Florida without air conditioning please put a new Streamliner under a bed for 60 years and let us know how it held up.:D

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Looks wise, give me vintage. Playability, give me modern. That goes for a few things I like, including cars and motorcycles.

BTW Great looking guitar

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    So I've heard that the benchmark for "vintage" is 20 yrs.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

And I have a 2004 Jet 6131 made in Terada post Fender.
    Will that make it a "vintage" guitar in 4 yrs from now?

14. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Strange this board seems to be very far from the pickups and bridge...

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve seen a couple now were they seemed to have cut away the 22th fret...o_O

16. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    You mean, “these ARE the good old days”
    I know, right?

Merc, Henry and Waxhead like this.
  17. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yes, they went with one less fret, and... the damned pickup is south of where it normally is. I put it in the shop to move it north about a centimeter or so. The look doesn't bother me, but it's right under where I pick; drives me nuts. I also think it sounds better a bit closer to the neck. The standard position has the pickup screws (pole pieces) under that harmonic just south of the end of the fingerboard. This one is back a bit. I don't believe that there is anything special about having the harmonic over the pole pieces; once the strings are fretted the harmonic is not there, but it seems to be the right distance from the bridge for the nicest sound and string response.

I'm not committed to vintage over current production, but this came along a a decent price, and I like the liveliness of it. It's becoming a great instrument, but only after quite a bit of work. I like the post Fender guitars too. I used to have a bunch, and I miss them. So, if all goes well, another Anni from around 2004 or so might find a new home here.

18. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have often thought we are in a golden age for guitars.

19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    \
    and way past the golden age for music...:D.

20. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Got to believe a new day’s a-comin’! :)

Gretschtim1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice