The Elusive Nocturne Brain Demo

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Rodney Gene, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    My Dyna-Brain review/demo. (BTW, its been a few weeks so howdy~)

Its genuinely a challenging pedal to transmit properly on video.

This is my contribution to add to all the demos currently out there. I approached this with longer passages repeated, pedal on/off and with all pickup positions.

I use the pedal a bit differently than most and I have never had a personal interest in the 'Setzery' tones so that has never been incentive for me. I think this pedal is suited for classic Blues, Jump Blues, Swing and Country in a big big way and I would love to see it on the boards of more players. It sounds phenomenal with my Gibson ES-335 and PAFs. I am a Tele player mostly and really enjoy this pedal support in any Telecaster context.

Although its a bit like preaching to the choir posting this here, if anybody has been on the fence or is interested in another perspective, this may help.

This is Telecaster/Country content.

Performance only:

Full review version:

Cheers!

RG

2. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Great pickin' with and without the Brain!!

3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Glad to see you back Rodney and great picking!

4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great playing, Rodney!

6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Sounds great. And beautiful playing again! It's a good demo for the brain

7. rocker

rocker Electromatic

Sep 3, 2009
    zurich
    Holy moly! I've visited your website after this and wow, you're a great guitar player, no matter what effects you're using! Cheers!

8. nadles

nadles Country Gent

Beautiful playing and great demo.

9. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Thanks gents and cheers!

I appreciate the good words and encouraging props! It means alot.
    The focus should be on the Nocturne pedal~ LOL.

This is the type of pedal that you don't notice too much while you have it, but you certainly do when it's gone. I only have one and it gets moved from board to board. I use my small board mostly. On occasion I just don't feel like moving it, but inevitably I miss it at the gig.

Someone asked me about the foot cam... American Texas engineering...LOL I generally 'stay still' when I play intentionally, but the foot and leg seem to always move.

Here are a couple more pics. Nothing crazy about the signal path. All 3 pedals in front of the Nocturne are TB.

Have a wonderful week! BTW, I have not forgotten the Scotty Moore tutorials but rather have gotten caught up in other stuff.

Hopefully by end of year.

Cheers~
    RG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jneau

jneau Synchromatic

Sep 18, 2012
    Minnesota
    Reminds me a bit of this...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kcobKdm6LI"]Chris Elliott Dog Food Bit Letterman 1989 - YouTube[/ame]

11. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    LOL, That's exactly how I feel about most gear demos out there. I wouldn't blame the pedal. Its a bit like demoing a set of strings. Very noticeable and relevant to the player...not so much for the observer.

Cheers, RG

12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I guess the only thing I would have liked to have seen/heard more of would have been the sound for different settings with the pedal.. "This is what happens if you turn this knob up/down" kind of thing.

At least there wasn't a guy in a gorilla suit for once.

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    the Gorilla is coming for you Mister!!

[​IMG]

ps. Thank you Rodney for taking the time to do this video. You have a good heart and I'm blown away! (ps. Rodney did this vid on his own accord, and he bought the pedal from me. Please take some time to visit his website and download his instructional video) http://www.rodneygene.com/free_lessons.htm

14. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Hey bro, sure I understand. There are a bunch of demos out there. In truth it was not that type of demo I wanted nor for me that type of pedal.

No 'settings' to run through for me other than a 'Dyna' / Atomic switch which was a customization. And since this was a 'Dyna' demo, I had no reason to use the Atomic side. The only other feature is the 'Gritch' knob or gain knob which is kinda like cranking the gain on a pre-amp. That would be really hard to transmit. Low-cut knob? The idea was to show the character, sparkle and sweet bite that the pedal offers in a clean platform. I would say a very large number of users buy the Nocturne looking to support the 'Setzery' tone. More gain for sure. I set out to show how I use it personally. Thanks for the listen!~

Cheers brother Tavo~

BTW, new site and a ton of new content and information will be up and active in about one week.

15. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    TREMENDOUS CHOPS. Very nice playing!

16. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    That was cool man. I'm always blown away with the talented people here. I think I'll have to find time to do more practice........!

17. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Love the racing stripes on that Dyno!

18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Great review. Just ordered an atomic brain.

19. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    WHOMP !!! There it is!

Attached Files:

20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo

I'm trying to embed these videos on my website and am having no luck man.. cushy is not a very user friendly web design app

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.