The Duo Jet Minefield

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Ashley1983, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    For all intents and purposes the TVP 'Powerjet' is a suped-up '59 Duo Jet. It is said to have the body chambering of a '55 but that might need to be taken with a pinch of salt. The changes from a standard '59 repro are the TVJ Power'Tron pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, Adjustomatic bridge and straplocks.

To change to TVJ T-Armonds you might need them in Filtertron mount (as previously mentioned in this thread). There have been reports that those in the Filtertron mount sound slightly different to those in original Dynasonic mount. I can't comment on that.

A used '53VS will probably cost around £2k so maybe a ove your budget? The TVP for sale in Peterborough is only £1,100.

new6659 likes this.
  2. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Electromatic

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    yeah that was the one I was looking at. does that seem a good deal? I asked and they said I need the English Mount and will drop straight in? My only worry is it will look a bit odd from the normal dyno model so not sure where to get this one and make it one I want or hold out for a different model

The guy says it weighs 7lbs which sees light

I’ve got a quote of £162 per pick up which I didn’t think was bad?

3. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    The guitar looks OK in the photographs. If anything the price seems too low which should signal caution. A couple of years ago there were guitar and hi-fi scams coming from that region so if possible make sure you see the guitar before paying. The weight sounds about right - my ‘53VS weighs an ounce under 7lbs.

Yes the English Mount T-Armonds are the Filtertron-size ones I referred to. They should drop in reusing your present surrounds but your installer can verify that. The price quoted to you is very similar to the price charged by F-Holes in Sidcup, Kent who I’ve sometimes bought from to save all the import costs and hassle of buying direct from TVJ. The English mount ones will look like this https://tvjones.com/t-armond-neck-english-mount/#product-tab-addition-323 so not the same as traditional DeArmond style.

4. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    My Duo Jet is a 2011 DSV. I'm planning on riding off into the sunset with it. I guess you could say I highly recommend it. Power'Trons are my favorite humbuckers. I installed one in the bridge of my Strat and it's perfect there. You may like the Power Jet just the way it is. I think I would.

5. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    I can only go by the two I owned - a early 2000's DuoJet with Dyno's and a early 2000's Western roundup - both guitars where around 7lbs. Ken

6. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    That's interesting. Do you remember if your Duo Jet had the big headstock with the horseshoe or the small, vintage correct headstock? I think the smaller headstock was the G6128-1957. I always wondered if this model, being more vintage correct than most Jets might be chambered more.

I know I have heard more than a few stories of heavy preFMIC Sparkle Jets as well as Duo Jets with the big headstock.

It's also interesting with your Roundup as my 2005 is the most chambered of my Jet shaped Gretschs. Maybe in the preFMIC era, they chambered these more too.

Henry likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The weight varies. Even in the same model, I have seen weight variation over 1 lb, from about 7lb to over 8lb. The only reliable way to know the weight is to weigh imo. E.g. . . .

Screenshot_20210723-153417_Samsung Internet.jpg

8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    My 6228 is under 7 pounds, fwiw. Just a hair.

9. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Those four Duo Jets are all heavier than any of my 3 Jets (a Firebird, a Gold Sparkle and a Roundup) from 2005. Heaviest of mine is 7.2 lbs. They all have Bigsbys (which add a lot of weight over a stop tail).

However, when talking preFMIC (as in Gasee's post) then, at least in my experience, it's a whole different ballgame. My 1997 Red Sparkle Jet is 9.5 lbs, kinda heavy (though Gasee's Duo Jet was a lot, lot lighter but that may have been a exception as a 6128-1957...or maybe not!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.