The Chantays Pipeline 1963 Lawrence Welk!

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I'm working on Pipeline and found this clip. I guess Lawrence wasn't so out of touch in those days! Gotta love the Shadows type choreography and the Beatles collarless shirts (ahead of their time for the US.) Such polite boys too.

1965-66 Ventures live in Japan. Major difference is collapsing the keyboard part into the two guitar parts. Also much more aggressive and faster.

Last edited:

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Welk was of a different era, to be assured, but he knew when something sounded good. He had people on electric guitar and used that sound in other places on his show, so he undoubtedly saw this as an opportunity to make some contemporary music. Lawrence Welk had Top 40 songs into the early ‘60s. I think that Calcutta was his last Top 40 entry.

Runamok

Country Gent
I'm working on Pipeline and found this clip. I guess Lawrence wasn't so out of touch in those days! Gotta love the Shadows type choreography and the Beatles collarless shirts (ahead of their time for the US.) Such polite boys too.

1965-66 Ventures live in Japan. Major difference is collapsing the keyboard part into the two guitar parts. Also much more aggressive and faster.

Incredible. Lawrence Welk. Tune holds up. Even without accordion.

The Chantays had dance moves, esp. the guy on piano! :rolleyes:
Doc, you getting those down?

Last edited:

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
As a side note, one of my favorite rabbit holes is to pick a song or genre and spend an hour or two on YouTube following it down. I did that on Pipeline a few years back. I saw some beautiful wave videos and ended up listening to Mexican Surf Music. Good stuff all around.

Runamok

Country Gent
I have that one.

Paul Johnson was the guitarist for the Bel-Airs who did this one:

I have 4 or 5 cuts off the Duo-tones. I think it had Pipeline on it, but its not in my playlist.
(Duh, he says after checking the attached youtube clip once my tune ended).

Right now spinning AquaVelvets Tango De Milo.
You put me on a surf revisit. Wonder what happened that their music went dark, both on Amazon & on iTunes. Its a very select bunch I can tolerate when its surf music.

gretschbigsby

Gretschie
Nov 21, 2009
chicago
I always liked the original the best... really creates an atmosphere that is lost by the faster, more distorted remakes. The electric piano is a big part of that, I think.

Latest posts