THE BITTERSWEET DEBUT OF MY 5120

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by THE BALD REVEREND, Sep 25, 2020.

1. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Hi Gretschers from italy ,
    don't know if this is the right place for my post , but ...
    Last night i brought for the first time my " new " 5120 in studio for rehearsals with my lifetime pards .
    Same ol' rock'n'punk stuff , after 35 years !
    I didn't have yet the chance to try the guitar on a serious amp and i've been really impressed by how its Gretschbuckers could be dirty and saturated .
    Yep , not so Gretschy , but very good for me , and the other guys too liked both look and sound of big body !

Sadly , it's been the last time for the band as it was , 'cos our drummer just decided to leave , and this is my grateful but mournful tribute to him .
    It's something deeper than a musical goodbye , it sounds a bit like the end of an era .
    That's life , i know , and nobody will die for that , but i feel a little bit empty , now that last nite excitation
    has gone .
    Thanks for everything Paolo , your unperfect beat always matched our unperfect playing .
    Perfectly i'd say !
    We were friends , we are friends , we will be friends , despite of your totally senseless decision .

Thanks Gretschers for giving me this space !

As i always say ... God blues you all !

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sorry to hear of the break up of the band . He sounds like a great friend

3. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Thanks ! He was , he's , i hope he'll be although i still have to accept that he quitted , deeper in my heart !
    Band was a time capsule , and i'm afraid that this " broken illusion " ( i perfectly knew it was ) will take away our " mind youth " , too ! But i'm not mature , no doubt !!
    Let's Gretsch !

thunder58 and capnhiho like this.
  4. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    If it has been good then a breakup is sad. I have been in a band for almost 30 years and we have had people leave and come back (me), leave, take a hiatus, move away and die. We were deciding to play more when the virus hit. We had a good concert just before lockdown and are grateful for that. We are friends that decided to form a band not a band that became friends and we still hold on to those friendships. OK, it was initially a 15 minute open mic semi-joke but almost 30 years later here we are. It is an end of an era but not the end. What has worked for me over the years is to embrace the sadness, acknowledge it and when you are ready, let it go. It sounds like Paolo is still a friend and that is a good thing.

capnhiho likes this.
  5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I am sorry about your friend Paolo deciding to leave. Since he is still a friend, that is a good thing. You are wise to keep the friendship alive. He may decide that he misses your band and will rejoin in the future.

If not, maybe he can help you select a replacement drummer, and be part of the process. At the end of the day, he may find that he can't see another drummer take his place.

Lots of good health my friend.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Every new beginning is another new beginning`s end.
    I hope that you will find a cool new drummer or a cool new band soon.

7. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    We were ( or maybe we are going to be , with a different line up ) only a very very amateur band , so no ambitions at all , but first we have been friends since 30+ years , so a quitting is sad . What i'm still working on is to fully accept that leaving is not a crime versus our friendship . I hope that we will be wise enough to save what's more important .
    You guys are great , by the way !
    Let's Gretsch

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.