That time of year ... Humidify

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
Hay gang , just a friendly reminder ........ Soon the heat is going to go on in many of our houses and that will make things nice and dry . So take extra care of your guitars ( especially the acoustics ) and remember to keep up on your humidification . And it doesn't matter what way you do it ....JUST DO IT !

Me , I use the little Herco canisters at the headstock , the damp-it green snake in my sound hole , and a soap travel container ( from CVS ) with holes in it ( drill 1/4" holes in it ) along with damp sponges inside the soap container . I also keep the small Hygrometers in each case . I really don't worry about the numbers on the Hygrometer , as long as it's consistent .

And don't be afraid to buy all new products every year or two as mold can and may be present . After all , there cheap enough to buy compared to our guitars

Now , go get to it ..........
Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.11.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.10.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.08.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.05.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.04.30 PM.png

mbkri

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for the reminder Rich. Especially on the replacing the sponge thing. Sponges are very very cheap and they do get moldy. I need to get new sponges for my containers. And another plus one for the Herco clay pot system. I have them in all my cases.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
Thanks for the reminder Rich. Especially on the replacing the sponge thing. Sponges are very very cheap and they do get moldy. I need to get new sponges for my containers. And another plus one for the Herco clay pot system. I have them in all my cases.
Chicago ! .... you guys always crank that heat ........lol

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
Good reminder! Last year I switched to Humidipaks for my Taylor. Absolutely one of my better moves. Song style in my electrics. Radiator heat in NE Wisconsin makes fro a dry house.

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
In Nashville, we prefer to humidify our guitars the old-fashioned way... but only once every 100 years.

gibson+collage+1.jpg

32345015a57eb565cf902944e6b55a59.jpg

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I still remember (with horror) opening the case of my Gretsch acoustic after a hot summer and an icecold winter spent in my attic: The top has lifted fom the sides and the bracing. What a mess!

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I still remember (with horror) opening the case of my Gretsch acoustic after a hot summer and an icecold winter spent in my attic: The top has lifted fom the sides and the bracing. What a mess!
Oooh! Lesson learned!!! Unfortunately the hard way. We're you able to have it repaired?

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Soon, my house is already down to 45 my bedroom is at 38%! Not a lot I can do about it. Case humidification is the only thing that works. I tried whole house and got mold. So those have been thrown out!

Latest posts