That Great Gretsch Sound (At Last!)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Mr Twangy, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    90FA09A6-5A9D-4190-9F57-0BDED0E0DFE9.jpeg 90FA09A6-5A9D-4190-9F57-0BDED0E0DFE9.jpeg I have this little Jet Club. I love how it plays and feels-perfect weight and balance- and I love the neck, but for pickups it had the infamous Gretschbuckers. I tried every possible adjustment to make those things sound decent (given that Gretsch saw fit to stamp their name on the pickup covers I imagined that they thought they were something worthwhile but in the end I came to the conclusion that they were simply crap pickups. So I put Blacktop Filtertrons in the guitar (and a new wiring harness with CTS and Switchcraft parts) and I am very happy with them. Prior to buying them I tried three Jets in a store, one with BT Filtertrons, one with HS Filtertrons and one with TV Jones Classics. The TV Jones sounded lovely but a pair would cost more than I paid for the guitar. The HS Filters wouldn’t have cost much more than the BTs, but the I preferred the sound of the BTs, so there we are. The difference in sound quality between the Gretschbuckers and the Blacktops is much much greater than the difference between the BTs and the TVJs quite honestly. I love having humbucking pickups that have a kind of Tele twang to them and I think the BTs sound the best of all three with a lot of gain.

Someone on this forum once said that Gretschbuckers somehow manage to sound muddy and harsh at the same time, and that is so true. I’ve seen people selling Gretschbuckers on EBay for as much as $50 a pair. I’m not going to do that because I don’t want to inflict them on anybody else. I’m going to do what someone else once said on this forum and “throw them in the garbage.”

2. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    “throw them in the garbage.”

But that's like throwing $50 in the trash,I'd sell them myself,one mans garbage is another mans treasure an'll that.

3. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Good point, well I’ve seen them listed but who knows if anybody buys them.

JC higgy likes this.
  4. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    I’m just mad at the pickups for making me think there must be some magic in them for so long. I’ll actually just put them in a drawer and forget about them probably.

GlenP and JC higgy like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    someone else said there's a " Free " thread on the forum ...put'm there

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  6. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Really? OK I will.

Archtops likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Archtops likes this.
  8. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I love my Silver Club just the way it is. Stock.

6D0A59D6-DDEB-4249-8EA0-F7BC731A582A.jpeg DA513C82-048B-49F8-AE14-EDA3A6965BA8.jpeg

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Years back I put my Gretschbuckers in the "round file"
    rubbish bin.jpg

Craig Encinitas, Outlaw and Mr Twangy like this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Originally I had a set of 3 Gretschbuckers: :p:p:p
    Lemonbuckers 003.jpg

11. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Archtops likes this.
  12. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Thank you Mr Twangy!

Mr Twangy likes this.
  13. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    @Mr Twangy you have definatly took a big step in the right direction towards getting 'that great Gretsch sound' by replacing the Gretschbuckers with blacktop filtertrons.
    And a Gretsch pro jet is arguably the best bang for buck electromatic out there.

14. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Outlaw, I really love the sound of these pickups. The difference is startling.

Outlaw likes this.
  15. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Electromatic

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    I keep messing with my Setzer Smoke; I always end up at the middle position on both pickup switches, both pickup volumes at max; guitar volume at max; through my Fender TM Twin Reverb clear channel with all the knobs set to 5. It jangles and twangs just right at those settings.

Craig Encinitas and heinzman like this.
  16. Christobella

Christobella Electromatic

Sep 19, 2020
    Cardiff
    Have a play with whipping out the odd pole piece under the fatter strings. It improved the twanginess of my 5435 no end!

17. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I put a Gretschbucker in the bridge of a parts Strat and it sounded great in there. Gretschbuckers can enhance and balance out thin sounding guitars. They are just not right for a big hollowbody or a chambered Jet. I bet they sound great in @Archtops Silver Club.

Mr Twangy and Archtops like this.
  18. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Somewhat of a tangent, but off of something you said in your post: When I upgraded my BT Filtertrons to TV Jones Classics, I noticed that the Neck sounded a little better than the BT, but the Bridge sounded far better. Not sure why that is. Honestly I'm pretty impressed with the blacktops overall though. They're really good pickups.

Craig Encinitas and Mr Twangy like this.
  19. dokterbart

dokterbart Electromatic

Aug 9, 2021
    Amsterdam
    I have 5230 with BT filters and a 5220 with gretschbuckers, but these are not bad untill you hear the filters. I got the 5220 cheap and will try P90s or dynas on it.

Craig Encinitas and Mr Twangy like this.
  20. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.