That Age Old Locking tuner Debate...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Gasee, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    Well I just saw these on Ebay - The older Gretsch Peg hole size matches 8.5 mm - not sure if the case cover is as large as the Grover Sta-tite's - but they could be a interesting upgrade. I am a Locking Tuner fan myself.
    Of course they might be so new that I can't find anyone with them in stock. Price seems good. Anyone heard about these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sperzel-3x...le-NICKEL-w-VINTAGE-MOUNT-PLATE-/312310163521

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Best with the project . I had Sperzels / locking tuners on my old 5120 . Don't know why I didn't put them on any other guitars

Gasee likes this.
  3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Sperzel makes good ones. They’re my go-to when replacing tuners. I somehow ended up getting a reamer from StewMac to make them fit on a couple guitars with smaller holes. That was annoying but I no longer have to worry about tuners not fitting, so there’s that.

Gasee likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Looks like a neat solution. If I had to modify a guitar with vintage -foot-print tuners I would go for these.

Gasee likes this.
  5. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting, and a great design for older guitars without changing the footprint. But why is there no mention of this model on Sperzel's website?

6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz

I have a set I did not use. You can have them for 1/2 price if you want them. If you are interested I will double check that they are the same and send you pics.

7. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    Sure Radd - I am Interested. Thank you

8. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    Yes - I wondered the same thing?

9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I can take or leave locking tuners. I have guitars that came with them stock, and I wouldn't swap them out, but I've never felt the need to replace all my tuners on all my guitars with locking tuners. For me, the benefits don't always outweigh the cost.

Scott likes this.
  10. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

I've had both locking and non-locking tuners. They both work equally well for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.