Thanks to Julian Lage, I now want the Gretsch Player's Edition DS

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by golem, Jan 21, 2021.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Ron Ellis is a legend. I would have no reservations. I'm sure they are not "duds" LOL.

I agree, sound-wise. Totally. But it's about more than that... again, it's like the difference between buying a Porsche off-the-rack (a great car), vs a Ferrari (a more-than-great car). The CS stuff isn't about TONE so much as everything else, imo.

And BTW- I'm with you. If Gretsch made a Vintage Select that was Red Sparkle, I'd already be invested LOL. I love that yellow Collings one, tho... Even if the Gretsch came with Filters, I'd just drop T-Armonds in it (fantastic pickups, I had them in my thin lone Cabronita for awhile).

Waxhead likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    You can hear those pickups in the videos.
    Don’t know why you think they’re possibly duds? Search for Ron Ellis. Search for Collings. Search for Julian Lage.

3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I don’t know if it’s been already said but I read elsewhere that the thing that made a big difference tone wise between PE and VS is the neck angle. On PE Gretsch choose a screwed bridge because they wanted to reduce the distance between the neck and the top, that results in more grind, more sustain and a little less clarity (like Les Paul). On VS, the floating bridge (pinned or not) gives the guitar the classic Gretsch tone at his best.

Scott, ruger9 and Stefan like this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'd say that's a good summary. More ping and sustain from the metal stud bridge, more honk and thunk from the wood based bridge. More "solidbody sounding" from the metal studs, then with the wooden base more of the "hollow" can be heard.... more "modern" tones from the Players, more "old school" tone from the Vintage.

stiv likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Stefan - the pups could be great but youtube is no indication.
    Everything sounds rubbish on youtube.
    And alleged reputations mean nothing to me :)

There's no way I would consider paying $6600 for a guitar I'd never seen with pups I'd never heard live.
    Plus there's not even any specs of the pups anywhere

6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Honestly, if you feel the need to go that far, you might as well say you wouldn't buy ANY guitar for $6600- INCLUDING one made by the Gretsch CS, sight-unplayed. Period. To say otherwise would be intellectually dishonest, as every. single. guitar. is. different.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes I wouldn't buy any guitar worth $6000 I hadn't played myself - would you ??.

The most I've ever paid for a guitar I didn't play myself was $900 for my Jet 6131 which I got from Sweetwater USA. But I'd played several identical in Australia previous. Plus, I also knew if it turned out to be a dog I could easy sell it for $4000 here :D

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    th
    The Ellis Dynas are freakin wonderful. Marc Rutters uses Ron's pickups, so I've had the privi to play Marc's Duojet builds and have him build me a few jet bodies too boot. I cant really justify the Ellis price when tvjones T-armonds sound almost the same. Ron's are like a marriage of the Seymour and the Tarmond to my ears and I grew up w real dearmonds, so I lean toward tvjones more than seymours. ...this probably doesnt help but I can see why Mr Julian loves them.

Waxhead and ruger9 like this.
  9. golem

golem Electromatic

Jan 3, 2021
    USA
    Yeah I doubt I'd spend the extra cash on a CS myself. The player's edition is going to have the fretboard like the 6228 which I find more ergonomic. Specifically a feature neither the VS '53 or the Collings (which appears to be like the '53 JL used before getting the sig model) would have. I don't know how much those Ellis pickups cost. If the stock ones don't do it for me I'd probably look into getting them rewound by a winder I know or just buy TV Jones if Ellis cost 2X+ more. It sounds to me like JL darkens up those pickups with either tone knobs, an EQ, or the amp he uses. I'd experiment, but worst case scenario I might be looking to make some changes to the wiring on a PE as well.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Chmason85 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.