Terms that drive you crazy

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Winnie Thomas, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    What if it involves both?

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It means it is dirty, poorly cared for, and you could get the coronavirus from playing it.

new6659 likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Rear, back, bottom . . . it's all about that axe.

4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I honestly don't know- I've never seen that come up. I've seen engines driving electric motors, but not an actual combination of the two.

Edit: I suspect the "power unit" in modern Formula 1 cars may be close to that, though. It's pretty interesting how those things work, and probably the biggest part of the reason a modern F1 car costs $100,000,000 or more.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Henry likes this.
  5. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Electromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Perhaps it's a guitar that makes you think you sound as good as your favorite guitar hero while playing it after drinking several mojitos.

YouFellowRebels and Jeff67 like this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    "Pulled the trigger."

"Vintage" applied to anything other than old guitars. (Even then it's questionable.) "Vintage inspired ... vintage specs ... vintage vibe ... vintage modified or a modern take on vintage.' (The last two are totally an oxymoron. If you've modified vintage, it ain't vintage no more.)

The word vintage comes from the wine world, where all it means is coming from a specific year. It doesn't imply anything about quality, rarity, desirability, etc ...

Norman's Rare Guitars is often credited with converting used guitars into vintage guitars, suggesting that there was something special about older guitars.

Now used cars are pre-owned. (Even better - "Certifed Pre-Owned.")

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Should be a felony. :)
    I tried one of them slides once and it got my strings all sticky. :)

An engine review it’s energy from fuel. If you burn wood or coal to create steam to push a piston or spin a turbine, that is a steam engine. Burning gas or diesel fuel to get energy makes it an engine. Using energy stored in a battery makes it a motor. A hybrid burns fuel in an engine to generate electricity to power a motor. And on it goes. :)

Henry and Jeff67 like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So, a machine. There may be different types of hybrids, but the Civics we owned generate power through braking, which generates electricity from the kinetic energy, but the energy is immediate stored in a battery, and the vehicle draws the energy from the battery. Wouldn't that be the same process, basically, used my regular cars to top up the car battery?

So perhaps engine that feeds into a motor . . . parallel with the gas engine?

9. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I agree .. I HATE this .
    It makes me want to hit them with my near mint slightly relic'd collectors grade axe that plays like butta so hard it knocks the patina off... but does not hurt it keeping it in the "rare" category with its kustom pups.

Teledriver, dlew919, MTurner and 3 others like this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There are several types of hybrids. Locomotives use Diesel engines to power electric motors with no mechanical connection between the engines and the drive wheels. I think that most hybrid automobiles have a combination of mechanical and electrical drive, but I don’t keep up on the latest developments.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Is this frowned upon?
    That is what I would say in my ads. “Pick up only, but will ship anywhere in the world at buyer’s penny and risk”.

12. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    "MINTY"......UGH~~!!!

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yum.

MTurner and Sabato like this.
  15. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Well, I like for my breath to be minty. Different minty, though.

16. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    When I was about 12 I used to read Exchange and Mart which was a classified ads paper. After the music ads (Which is why I read it) was stamp collecting and many adverts stated the stamps were ‘mint’. I always thought that was a great thing and wondered why normal stamps weren’t mint, as the glue normally tasted like rotting cucumber.

flip, drmilktruck, JT19 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The next time I sell a guitar, instead of mint, I’ll describe its condition as rotting cucumber. :)

moltenmagna, Alanqa and drmilktruck like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Once you turn 18, dating anyone younger than yourself could be dangerous.
    Engines produce power, motors use it. As others have said, gas or diesel ENGINES, electric MOTORS.
    The English call cars "motors", and call driving "motoring". Of course, they also say alyouumineeum.

Jeff67 and Sabato like this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    And they don’t have Ally Sheedy. :)

wabash slim likes this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    But they do have Karen Gillam.

Alanqa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.