Tennessee Tuesday

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stefan87, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    After the good doctors thread about underappreciated gretsch models i thought it be a nice too do a thread on what i believe is one of the most underappreciated models of the main stay hollowbody prolines, the Tennessean.

Sure some big names have played them, but i feel the desire for them isnt there like the other models, they aren't the iconic orange of the Nashville, they don't have the bling of the falcon, or the big sound of the country gent (also underappreciated) and they dont have the coolness of the two tone anniversary, so seeing as the falcons have friday i thought the Tennessean can have Tuesday.

So all those who have them on here lets see them.

Mine is a g6119sp, this is a special guitar to me, its not the gretsch i have always wanted or even a model i thought id buy but it was my first gretsch.

I bought it in 2009 when i was 22 from a local shop outside of Brisbane city when gretschs werent all that common in shops except a few in the city that were more the boutique dealers, i walked in one day and there it was in a glass cabinet, the first one i had ever seen in person in a shop, it had a price tag of $4100 way more then i could justify spending so i would just go to the shop most weekends and just stare at it, one day i drove past the shop and it had a massive clearance sale sign hanging so thought id pull in and check it out and to my luck they had a 40% off sticker on my guitar, that i could justify so i went to the counter and asked if i could put sale items on layaway and they said yes so i said id take it, didnt check the specs or even play it, just bought it, after a few weeks of saving and selling my 21st birthday present from my family it was home and i was over the moon.

Some years later i decided to check the specs, its a 2005 model from the fuji factory, 2 3/4 inch body, 3 ply top, tone post, floating ebony fretboard with a zero fret, 2 hs filtertrons in deep cherry stain with aged white binding, I got lucky here too as it is the same specs as the sought after 2005 fuji built double anniversary model except the zero fret, it is so resonant and sounds like nothing else i have played, i truly love it.

received_561707531184782.jpeg
    received_3722403311108595.jpeg
    received_271427547278748.jpeg

I was also lucky enough to get the pick guard signed buy my hero and the person who got me hooked on these things Chris Cheney from The Living End.
    20200707_194222_001.jpg
    20200707_194301.jpg

Thats mine, bit of a long story so sorry for that, so lets see some others.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Tadhg, new6659, Wjensen and 12 others like this.
  2. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Has some beautiful grain in that wood!

Stefan87 likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar Stefan

Stefan87 likes this.
  4. THISISDINOSAUR

THISISDINOSAUR Electromatic

Oct 21, 2019
    London
    Does a Gibson Tennessean count?

Stefan87 likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Tennies rule!
    IMG_2914.JPG
    6119 1959 RI.
    Found mine to be incredibly versatile. (Despite the one-pu configuration.)
    Rocks like a beast in combination with any Marshall-type amp. Trestle braced, TVJ Powertron, tomato-soup finish. Especially the female audience often gives me positive comments on this big lady. I enjoy that. She`s a looker for sure.
    Searched quite a long time to find this special model for a price that was acceptable for my not all- too -deep purse.
    It is the best-treated guitar in my stable.
    Although I own it for about 10 years and it gets regular playing time it is still in a very nice condition. I feel blessed to own it.
    The Bigsby holds the tuning perfectly. In fact you can dive-bomb this thing and it will still be in tune.

But sometimes I get it out of its case just to look at it.

new6659, thunder58, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    thunder58, Stefan87, Merc and 2 others like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    @Ricochet
    C´mon Rich: Show us your wonderful 6119 1959RI and make @Synchro feel sorry for modding his.

thunder58, Ricochet and Stefan87 like this.
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

It's been a while, but I used to have a '62. Great guitar. I probably shouldn't have sold it considering how little they bring.
    [​IMG]

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks, It's hidden a bit under the finish but pops in the sun.

Thanks Rich

Sure does.

Looks great, Gretsch have put powertrons in a few Tennies, must be a good fit.

Crazy how much that actually looks like a hot rod but with a zero fret, the 62 looks really good.

wow that looks in amazing condition in that picture.

10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My lost 1961 along with my original vintage lost JTM45:
    IMG_0497.JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    JC higgy, thunder58, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That will never happen. That was a very successful project.

loudnlousy and Stefan87 like this.
  12. THISISDINOSAUR

THISISDINOSAUR Electromatic

Oct 21, 2019
    London
    In that case, my Tennessean next to my Tennessee Rose. I’m meaning to put a Bigsby on it at some point:

B10C025F-E13A-47BF-BF0A-F017E11006A5.jpeg 8818735C-7A35-47C6-B4D4-7732477E836D.jpeg 1ED11D9E-9856-4034-BE39-6C80330FA704.jpeg

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.