Tennessean with dampers?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by flip, Jun 22, 2020.

1. ToneM1

ToneM1 Gretschie

Mar 10, 2009
    Northern L.A. County
    Yeah, kinda has to be in that time range. Maybe Ed Ball can tell us when the batch of "Mutes" started on Gretsches, but I would think that it would be late 1961 or early `62. I did see one #6122 around 1971 that was Tennessean Red, white outlined decal "F-Holes" but No mutes. It belonged to Stephen Stills and he used it on that first electric solo tour with his band and that tour was mid 1971. I remember seeing it at my friend Neal Moser's home/shop as Neal was working on Stephen's guitars at that time..

2. ToneM1

ToneM1 Gretschie

Mar 10, 2009
    Northern L.A. County
    Found it!! Tenny with Mutes! Tenny-mutes.jpeg

3. afire

afire Country Gent

Interesting. That may well be the very guitar flip encountered 54 years ago. He mentioned it being second hand, and that looks to be a '63, so it would have been a few years old at the time. And I would be surprised if it's not the only one of its breed.

4. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
  5. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Sorry Tone, Will Deegan and I are evidently unknown to each other, possibly because it's quite a big city and possibly because I've only lived here for 25 years! Seriously, you might be interested in a site called Manchesterbeat. Devoted to all Manchester bands and musicians it's actually run by a guy in Australia but well worth a look. Hope this is OK with mods here - no conflict with Gretsch guitars.

6. ToneM1

ToneM1 Gretschie

Mar 10, 2009
    Northern L.A. County
    Will was in The Smiths after Johnny Marr left & has worked on & off in some guitar shops there.

7. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    With Keith Hopwood's permission (Hermit's guitarist) I may be able to shed a little light here (and a reflection on the way the music business was at the time). The song, Mrs Brown you've got a lovely daughter, was written by Trevor Peacock (who's gone on to prestigious work in the theatre in UK), for a 1963 British TV play, The Lads. In the play it was sung by Tom Courtenay. Keith tells me that as he was only 16 at the time and the backing is by a banjo (an instrument that he never mastered) it was probably performed by a session musician.

He goes on to say that he was very pleased with his Gretsch Country Gentleman with dampers that was almost certainly used on the Hermits' hit recording of the song two years later. Unfortunately that guitar was stolen along with much else from a van parked at Granada TV studios in Manchester. That's almost certainly why the TV clip shows him playing a Rickenbacker damped with a handkerchief. It's a sobering thought in an age when it sometimes seems that instrument brands are so keen for player endorsement that almost every player has some sort of sponsorship, in those days aspiring players had to buy their own instruments.

I guess it also means that unless it's been junked, Keith's Country Gentleman may even yet be languishing in some wealthy collector's storage.

sgarnett likes this.
  8. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Sadly I think not. The one I was considering was unforgettably orange.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    True. It's hard to imagine that in their early days, The Beatles had to beg for free amps from Vox. Of course, once they struck musical gold, Vox happily used them in their advertising, and built amps specifically for the band's needs.

10. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I'd think it would be hard to get a more authoritative source than Hopwood himself about this question. So @wabashslim is right!

sgarnett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.