Ten Top Female Guitarists

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
WatchMojo.com counts down the Top Ten Female Guitarists of all time. Quite an eclectic mix, from Maybelle Carter to Annie Clark of St. Vincent. Not based just on virtuosity but also impact and inventiveness. I think for the most part the list is well-thought out and well-presented, not that I agree with all of the choices, especially not the number one. 5 honorable mentions too.

What do you think? Any additions? From a Gretsch perspective, Poison Ivy is missing.

"Talented, innovative or just plain entertaining, these six-stringers of the female variety know how to get the party rolling. Join http://www.WatchMojo.com as we count down our picks for the top 10 female guitarists of all time."

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ywolhltzVA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ywolhltzVA[/ame]

GretschSwing

Country Gent
Jan 27, 2014
Howell, MI
It's an interesting list, within the parameters they set. I agree with the inclusion of Mother Maybelle, Sister Rosetta, Joni Mitchell and Kaki King. I would add Mimi Fox, Emily Remler and Mary Osborne -- the last of whom endorsed (but was not especially fond of) Gretsch.

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
Kinda cool.

Hey Jim, if you find a "10 guitarists that have only been playing a year but are already better than you"... keep it to yourself eh?

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Kinda cool. Hey Jim, if you find a "10 guitarists that have only been playing a year but are already better than you"... keep it to yourself eh?

There are those kind of videos all over YouTube, and the players are about 10 years old. Sad isn't it?

Larry Christopher

Gretschie
Nov 6, 2013
Youngstown
Charo should make any list of top female guitar players. Not somebody you think of, but is a badass.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfutjoig34"]Caliente - YouTube[/ame]

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
"They don't necessarily have to be virtuosos", "based on notoriety" not exactly the mother of criteria is it? Hand one to Lady Gaga, bet she'd top this list.

Check out Nora Bucci

samuraifingers

Gretschie
Apr 30, 2015
Calgary, AB. Canada
Yeah, but Orianthi "stands on the shoulders of giants". She's not innovative. She copies everything she does...AND Steve Vai wrote the solo for her for their "duet"
She's a great technician, don't get me wrong...but I would never classify her as a great guitarist.
If you've ever seen her in a "behind the scenes" kinda stuff...she doesn't seem to have the goods on her own merit to play and improvise. Her solo record is pretty blah if you ask me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I'll just chalk it up to differences in taste.
I do admit though for the criteria of this list she definitely is influential.

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Was glad to see Nancy Wilson in there. First one that came to mind for me.

I don't see how they can't make Nancy Wilson their number one choice, given the criteria they used. While Heart has others who've played lead, such as Howard Leese, as the co-founder of a female led guitar based rock band around for over 40 years, Nancy has been very influential, far more than Lita Ford. That choice boggles my mind. Joan Jett has done much more than her former Runaway bandmate.

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Yeah, but Orianthi "stands on the shoulders of giants". She's not innovative. She copies everything she does...AND Steve Vai wrote the solo for her for their "duet"
She's a great technician, don't get me wrong...but I would never classify her as a great guitarist.
If you've ever seen her in a "behind the scenes" kinda stuff...she doesn't seem to have the goods on her own merit to play and improvise. Her solo record is pretty blah if you ask me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I'll just chalk it up to differences in taste.
I do admit though for the criteria of this list she definitely is influential.

I agree, very technically skilled, but if she wasn't blonde and hot, we probably wouldn't be talking about her as one of the greatest.

Latest posts