Tell us about your #1 favorite guitar!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by blueruins, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    G'day,

I am fortunate to own two dozen guitars, most of which are regularly the apple of my eye whenever they get pulled out of their case for a week or two of reacquaintance... I guess the one that I have the most shared memories with is far from the rarest, or priciest ; it's the one that is my go-to guitar for gigging, the guitar I bought as a stand-in for my Powerjet (that I was worried about losing or having damaged in some of the dodgy places we play.)

I'm talking about my G. Love Corvette, almost stock (with the exception of locking tuners and Brigg's Fix on the Bigsy.) With its TV Jones Powertrons, its sleek body, and its slick but chunky neck, this is a true rock 'n roll machine.
    Over the past ten years, I've become quite dependent on this Made in PRC bundle of joy, so much so that when another became available on Reverb (Gretsch only made one limited run of these), I snapped it up.`

Cheers,

Dominique
    IMG_0205.jpeg IMG_0204.jpeg Do head and shoulders crop.jpeg

2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    It’s always so cool when you see a player and guitar become a single instrument. This is the way it appears to me with you and your Corvette…the perfect match!

Stencil and G5422T like this.
  3. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Today I picked up my 6620 again after a few weeks of playing other guitars, and suddenly it became my #1 again.

2401355823_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

I was so taken with my first P90 guitar that I forgot how versatile the 6620 is. I played with the volume and tone for a few minutes and dialed in several really nice usable tones.

4. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Sold my Jupiter and kicking myself!

5. Tegzsa

Tegzsa Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Berlin
    #1? What day is it? These days, it's my 5420. However, the 1998, Samick made Washburn J9 (centre) has been with me the longest, and I always go back at some point. Bought "by accident" when I wanted to try out a DOD multi-effect and got it handed to me in the shop. It looks genteel, but it's always been a flat-out rocker.

Over the years I have changed the tailpiece (just because), the tuners (one of them sheared off) and the nut (cracked). Although there is nothing wrong with the stock pickups, I put in a SD Phat Cat and a 59/Custom for a change.

IMG_20210730_120647.jpg

6. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I'm with @wabash slim on that one, my Historic G3140 is my #1 guitar. Always the first I grab when I plug my amp.

Gretsch G3140 Historic Series800.jpg

Cpl Gretsch.jpg

I've already told the story on Gretsch-Talk. Let's go again.

After 20 years with only 2 guitars, my accoustic Washburn D10CE and my SG Firebrand, the SG fell on the floor and headstock snapped. Then I discovered Gretsch was now making affordable guitars and bought a brand new GoldDust G2655T (the one pictured on second pic).
    One year later, I found the G3140 at an amazing price on the internet, at Le Shop in Lyon where my son had just made a first down payment to buy his MIM Strat.
    I had drunk much too many coffee during the day in Utrecht where I was making a presales demo and presentation to a Dutch bank, then I could not sleep that night, browsing the internet to learn about Historic series, DeArmond 2000 dynas and cat's eyes (strongly recommended by @wabash slim :D ).
    In the morning, I pulled the trigger and had my son get it directly at the store as he was studying in Lyon. I still had to wait for 2 months before he came back home for Christmas and brought the G3140.

I'm fond of the DeArmond 2000 sound and that guitar will remain my #1 at least until I get a full hollow body. I'm still wondering if I should get a brand new G5420 with FilterTrons or an early G512x with the same DeArmond 2000...

Archtops, new6659, Stencil and 3 others like this.
  7. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I had a Jay Turser "Colonel". Everyone complimented me on it's looks. It was OK. Had a lot of little niggles typical of a lot of Jay Tursers at the time but it was a fun guitar.

You guys that have #1's are quite fortunate. I am more like the flavor of the day. Most recently my G2410TG through my Quilter Superblock UK has been pretty awe inspiring. It is probably a honeymoon thing but what a honeymoon. Hope it lasts!

P4220005.JPG

8. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    So...... I have always liked Gretsch guitars, all the way back to Duane Eddy. I have owned a 5120 (orange) and Electromatic Duo Jet ( silver sparkle) but couldn't bond with either, moving them to "case" status rather than rack (finally sold them). I had a 50's lap-steel Gretsch ( Valco) and loved it but so did a buddy who bought it for way more than I had in it. I replaced it with a modern Gretsch lap in tobbaco burst but couldn't bond. Ahhhhhhh!
    Finally two Gretschs purchased fill my #1 and 2 slots to the point I am considering offing all my other guitars and keeping just 2 basses and my Recording King lap. My #1 is below. I love this guitar! It gets #1 status because it is played daily. My #2 is my Corvette. For reasons I can't explain, it instantly became my favorite electric over my LP, Strats and Tele, go figure.

IMG_20201218_132610349.jpg

9. Bigsbyguy

Bigsbyguy Electromatic

Jan 25, 2009
    New Mexico

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  10. John Pimlott

John Pimlott Gretschie

Jul 27, 2012
    London
    This one came as a complete surprise because I thought I'd hate it. It's a cheapy partscaster I'm building and has all the components that make me say "Ewww". Although I haven't finished it yet, it plays and sounds beautiful. I love Joe Strummer of the Clash and really fell for his 100% punk '66 Tele, so I decided to make a replica purely for wall hanging. I never reliced a guitar before because I don't like that kind of vandalism, but in this case, I had to spray the tri-color sunburst to base it on and then carefully wreck it. I'm genuinely shocked at how works for me. I could wear it all day and probably will. Here's a picture, with the real deal underneath for comparison: Comparison.jpg

11. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    :(

12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My beautiful old 1973 Strat. I bought her brand new and she has shared my life with me. She is more to me than wood, plastic and metal. She fed me and my family, she went through some rough spots and never once let me down. Of all my possessions she is my most precious.

PS: One refin and two refrets.

1973 Strat.jpg

RRGuitarCo, Cdb1961, dougmon and 5 others like this.
  13. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    I have no idea, but I remember working on a few Herb Ellis 165's that also had the neck pup pulled back like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.