Telecaster opinions

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by J Bird, Jun 5, 2020.

1. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I remember fondly the days when a Tele or a Strat was a simple kind of thing - well maybe two types of things coming with either a maple or a rosewood fingerboard. Back when there was no MIM or MIJ or MIA or Players Editions or Classic Vibe or Road worn or----. Most Teles were white (but some were other colours - my first in 1969 was red). Back then there was no reason to suppose that a Tele played by somebody like Mike Bloomfield or Roy Buchanan or anyone else was any different than the one I had. Those were the days, I guess.

Jelly Roll Horton, J Bird and G5422T like this.
  2. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

I love Skulls and guitars . That's nice and the control plate is backwards too . My others have the switch up front , so I never can find the thing when I play it . It's special .

J Bird and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, with the B16 Bigsby, it’s easier to access the switch when it’s back there, and making it a toggle makes it even easier to switch positions.
    When I rewired it, I got rid of the tone circuit, and instead each pickup has it’s own volume pot.

J Bird and Medium John like this.
  4. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Don't need no stinking tone knobs .

Outlaw, calebaaron666 and J Bird like this.
  5. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Well, someone else bought it before I could check it out.
    The last couple of nights, I'd get so excited to get it, then in the morning I'd be more cautious and tempered.

Thanks to all for your input, I learned a lot. In fact, I'll run down some of my takeaways from gleaning the interwebs.

MIM ash Telecasters can be heavy and some are obviously three pieces that aren't matched for grain.

Putting a B5 Bigsby on a Telecaster is not that big of a deal. Don't be scared. A B16 will be more involved, but heavens, look at that thing, it's pure awesomeness.

Don't get too judgemental about tonewoods. Yes there is a difference, but there is plenty of overlap in the tonal quality of various woods.

I'll probably get a Squire CV 50s Telecaster and, after a while, slap a Bigsby on it. I do prefer the Alnico III pickups on the Vintage Blonde, so there I go.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Outlaw, Randy99CL, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Sounds like a good project. Great idea.

J Bird likes this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Having set teles with both a B5 and a B16, I think a B16 is a lot easier to install. The neck shim is easy, and lining up the bigsby takes only a few minutes.
    Both are fun to have though.
    And yes, MIM Ash body teles are pretty darn heavy! Mine was 10lbs after adding a bigsby!

J Bird likes this.
  8. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Oh, the irony! I just have to shake my head and laugh, the CV that I'd decided to pursue has been discontinued. There's like three left in the lower 48. Unlikely that any are in any of the local shops. Once I establish that, then maybe I'll order online. It will all work out in the end...

9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I put a bigsby
    on a Tele, then took it off as it seemed to kill it. I guess I missed the string through body experience. So now I got four holes.... I started a bit of relicing but it hurt every time I made a dent. Then there's the blonde neck, what do you do with that?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    J Bird likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Having this much variety in an affordable guitar means it is "rare" and that it is therefore more valuable than others of slightly different features even though each of those is just as rare.

J Bird likes this.
  11. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Lo and behold, you are correct sir.

Tomorrow, I will be the proud owner of a 2017 fsr deluxe ash mim butterscotch Telecaster. The very special one with switched controls. We can finally stick a fork in this thread and start a ngd thread.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Check out the Squier Affinity Tele too, its got an Alder body. I have an older one '11 i think and it is killer, changed pickups of course.

J Bird likes this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Glad to hear it!

J Bird likes this.
  14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    If it was Lefty, Local and Cheap, I'd already bought it without any other question. But it is not Lefty, not Local and I don't know the price asked for, so no other question... :(;)

A Tele. A what ? o_O

[​IMG]

Texas Ti-57 decision program o_O :

00 R/S
    01 I don't play my Squier CV50 too much because she doesn't have a Bigsby.
    02 If I add a Bigsby this may kill the Tele sound and possibly not stay in tune.
    03 If she doesn't stay in tune, I won't play her.
    04 RST

But it's me, OK ? :rolleyes::D

A+!

Sid Nitzerglobin and J Bird like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.