Tele, Pots, and Sweetwater Service

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by DougWheeler74, Aug 2, 2021.

1. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Well….. I recently purchased a new Player Telecaster from Sweetwater. (See post “No Longer Looking for a Tele”). I hadn’t had much time on it before family matters called me out of town Once back, I started playing it and the volume dropped to almost nothing. I did the usual; swapped cables, took out the pedals, changed amps, and then guitars. It was the Tele. I had one in 2015 that did the same thing and a volume pot replacement fixed it.

Not a biggie but I was not pleased. A few days before that my Sweetwater rep had texted me asking if all was well with the new guitar. I texted back explaining the issue and noting that while it was a Fender quality control issue not Sweetwater’s fault, I wasn’t pleased and perhaps they could pass it along to Fender. They could also pass along that it has a small paint drip ‘within fender specs’. I mentioned that my 2622 was flawless for less money. In my opinion, both are Fender QA issues not SW’s fault. The next morning the rep called me and after a brief conversation transferred me to a guitar tech. A quick explanation of the situation and I was offered three options.

1. They would swap out for another Tele
    2. I could take it to a local authorized repair shop
    3. They could send me a replacement part for free if I was comfortable with the repair.

I found that to be fair corrective actions without any hassle. It seemed silly to send and return a whole new guitar for a pot. I am handy with a soldering iron and Tele pots are easy access and no need to put in the shop. He also asked what kind of strings I use. Two days later I have the part and 2 sets of strings. When I opened it up, the tone pot was broken. It is a snug fit in the cavity and I suspect it broke during construction.

Sweetwater’s support was outstanding and hassle free. Yay for them. QA on Fender? Not so much.

Wheeler Telecaster 1.jpg

2. Intoamartian

Intoamartian Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    I bought a player’s telecaster in 2018, one of the first runs. It had the bent steel saddles that were not appropriately designed and they blocked the string thru hole. It was a well known issue and Sweetwater let me swap out the whole guitar.

I bought that first one as a demo at a deal and got a brand new one in return around the time their price went up. Great service by sweetwater.

3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Dang, never seen the likes of that before.

4. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    It is a tight fit between the body and the wafer on the pot. A 1/8" more in the cavity would clear it nicely

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    stevo likes this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Never had anything but great experiences with Sweetwater.

G5422T, section2 and PBO Blues like this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    How will you fit one in now?

7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the guitar. I'm glad to hear Sweetwater took care of you. Their customer service is second to none.

8. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Sweetwater has always given me good service. In fairness to the others, most all of the big Sellers have, and I've dealt with many of them. Sweetwater seems cut above in Customer service to me though. Or maybe it's just the candy. Glad it got sorted out satisfactorily, and congrats on the new Tele!

Viking Power likes this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    If you are good with a moto-tool it would be easy to make some relief for the pot. Hopefully you don't need 1/8", that is a lot.
    You could grind or sand out the wood but I'd use a cutting or grinding tool to move the hole in the metal control plate a little toward the volume pot. Just use a sharpie to mark the same curve and cut about 1/16" and try it. About 5 minutes if you're careful.

I had an incident like that also, my Epi LP had a push-pull pot that pulled all the way out first time I tried it. I called Epi and they sent me a pot and offered to pay GC (authorized service center) to change it for me but I swapped it out myself.

10. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    That sounds like exceptional Customer Service. Good for Sweetwater.

11. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Thanks for the idea. After I posted, I rethought the 1/8". That is a lot. I am thinking of cutting the body but I am concerned about the finish. Extending the holier th plate makes sense.

12. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    By carefully putting the assembly in with the tone pot end first then carefully pushing the rest down. It seems OK, but I remain concerned. @Randy99CL has suggested that I extend the hole in the control plate to move the pot forward about 1/8".

13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If they didn't cut the body properly, that is cause for concern. But maybe a different pot is a good solution?

I bought some of these and haven't used them yet but this would be exactly the application. Plus, they're sealed:

https://www.bourns.com/docs/technic...5_Prem_Gtr_Pots_Appnote.pdf?sfvrsn=46ea1aff_0

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    DougWheeler74 likes this.
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Doug, I have never had an issue that Sweetwater customer service didn't handle professionally, and with the customer's happiness in mind. I have also had a few issues with GC and MF, and while they handled things, I would say that the overall customer service just didn't stack up to Sweetwater's customer service - with the occasional exception.

In particular, I do remember a GC sales manager that adjusted the action on a PRS SE Custom 24 for me before I left the store. We even had a nice chat that taught me a thing or two while he was doing it. I had to say this, because I didn't want to leave the impression that I was totally down on GC, or MF (although my last order from MF left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I'm not over it yet).

16. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    They know how to keep their customers
    I’ve always had good dealings with them as well

17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Doug, I suggested moving the pot 1/16" as I think 1/8" would be too much.
    I'm a retired machinist (and electronics tech) and 1/16" is hardly noticeable and 1/8" is a lot. If the pot were off by 1/8" it would not have fit the cutout at all and never would have left the factory. I believe you only need to move it a little and 1/16" clearance should be plenty.

The control plate position is determined by the pickguard and if the PG is just a little low (for whatever reason) it could force the pot tight against the cutout. I think that's what happened here, the pot was up against the wood and it only needs a little bit of clearance.
    As I'd already written, I'd move the pot in the plate instead of trying to sand away the wood.

Edit: to me this is just fine-tuning a new guitar, like adjusting the truss rod or bridge. Not a defect, just tolerances stacking and pushing the pot against the wood. Easy fix and I actually feel better about the instrument as I've invested some time and made it better than it was. JMO

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  18. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    That makes total sense. Thanks.

Randy99CL likes this.
  19. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm not a fan of Scamwater but you're an easy man to please which is something to be proud of. I'm surprised they didn't give you 10% back or something.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.