Teenager XMas guitar ideas?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by gtttrrr, Nov 18, 2020.

1. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    They're definitely solid. I'd play one without reservation.

2. JustAskN93

JustAskN93 Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Washington, MO
    I'm 27, so closer to 15 than a lot of people. Not that it matters, but I'd go for the Epiphone Les Paul. He wants to play a certain style of music so having a guitar that emulates that style is important if he is going to want to keep practicing. I've actually had one on my "gonna acquire soon" list because I like the look of it and I want to play music like Green Day and My Chemical Romance which were both les paul driven.

gtttrrr likes this.
  3. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Do

4. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    My experience started with an acoustic I hated. It literally shredded my fingertips, wouldn’t stay in tune, and the neck profile was a too wide “C” shape.that was most uncomfortable for my “short-ish” fingers. I have no idea what became of it. That guitar sounded like I was playing pen springs instead of guitar strings. To boot, my first music teacher nearly made me stop playing. It actually did for a time. I wanted to play rock & he wanted me to learn Christmas carols. My desire was what got me through it though. A 2nd acoustic and different teacher made it possible for me to play in rock bands as a teenager. “Life happened and in my 50’s & 60’s I got to play out again in a rock in’ blues band! If you’ve done gigs, it’s in your blood! I’m 70 now, and have had major GAS (the good kind). I am most fortunate to have several of the “top ten” guitars except a Tele, 335 and Flying V. it’s only because of the tone & “fit”. My arsenal includes two (2) Dean acoustics, (1) Dean Playmaker; (2) custom made to my specs (one LP style w/ Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pups, the other a strat style w/ active EMG pups); of course my Brian Setzer Gretchen, Fender Epi, & Gibson LP’s, a PRS and a Firefly 339 ...and of course my 1964 Hagstrom Cromwell (Guild). If you seen David Bowie in a red jump suit with a Fire Engine Red double cutaway Fender knock off , that’s the one. The real point here, IMHO, is that desire along with the selection of a guitar is most important. Second.is that lessons are important but the teacher has to hear what you are saying.

MrWookiee likes this.
  5. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I would get him 2 of them, Probably a nice Les Paul and a Pawn Shop Special. Hide the Les Paul and put the beat up el cheapo special under the tree. Ton of fun watching his face when opening the cheapo and who knows maybe it be something you guys can hack and mod together making another great gift !

gtttrrr and MrWookiee like this.
  6. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Ohhh yeah Hagstrom,,, my list, not his:rolleyes::confused::D

7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    How about Schecters? they have some affordable Korean made models and are a very underrated brand I think as my c-1's feel a heap better then the epiphones I played at my local shop the other day and are in a similar price point, they have some pretty out there/cool finishes too.

Here are a few on the sweetwater website.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Schecter

gtttrrr likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Have tried some of those, haven’t found them to be perfectly consistent, some feel like the cheap shredder guitars that Ibanez now makes....shame what those guys did to the Steve Vai type starts in their budget lines, some horrible guitars in that lineup, used to be fairly consistent good guitars.

Stefan87 likes this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fair enough, I do get what you mean as I did see a few new ones the other day and noticed they are very different to what they once were, didn't play them though so I guess I can't comment on the newer ones, mine are 2001/2002 models and fantastic for what I paid for them.

Am hanging to see what you end up with.

gtttrrr likes this.
  10. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I enjoy my Epiphone Les Paul. Recently, my buddy who now has my 1987 R7 Gibson LP brought it over, and I really preferred the Epi. I’ve had lots of Les Pauls, but the Epi pickups really nail the sound I want from a LP

gtttrrr likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It's always fun to surprise someone with a present they will love. But I have also found it is even more fun to go shop for that present with them. I would suggest hitting the stores playing some models with your kid and letting him decide. Then as you leave put it on hold. He can know and he can wait until Christmas for the package that may not actually be under the tree. Maybe instead tease him with a notecard and a rhyme or limerick he has to figure out to find it hidden somewhere in your house or on your property. Of course, if you live somewhere like I do where options to buy are limited that may not be a viable option but it is a thought and could make for a fun day out.

gtttrrr likes this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Great thought on the “scavenger hunt” ! We went to GC last weekend, he liked ESP, and EPI, Fender. Didn’t LOVE the PRS, but I think it was mostly the flat uninspired finish on those. Soooo.. he said “Dad, I trust you to pick out a great one for me, you know way more about them” so gonna see what comes upon BF deals this weekend!

Bertotti likes this.
  13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    4D647F13-B48B-4BC5-BC89-BED11358FAE6.jpeg
    Merry Christmas one and all! The search is over! I found this neck-through Soloist at a great discount a couple weeks ago and pulled the trigger. Gave my son the option of returning this for the PRS SE that we were considering, but he says this one is a keeper! He loves the locking trem on some of mine, can’t argue with the absolute tuning stability and fun of dive- bombing when you’re just learning to Rock out! :) Cannot believe the guitar you can get for low $ these days, compared to 10 years ago!

Tadhg, MrWookiee and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.