Teenager XMas guitar ideas?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by gtttrrr, Nov 18, 2020.

1. muleskinnerslide

muleskinnerslide Electromatic

Oct 1, 2011
    Lebanon Oregon
    It can get pretty wild to guess at. Maple or Mahogony neck? Single or Dual? It actually needs some hands on generally speaking for the individual. If he's a speed demon I'd say go the tele/strat route, maybe a G&L. Soulful player? Epi... Just my 2 cents.

gtttrrr likes this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I had that guitar a few years ago . Very nice guitar played great.
    IMAG6759.jpg
    I have had a few Epi's and all have been good quality stuff and still have one, the red sparkle one.
    It looks they are really puttin out good stuff right now.
    Having one that is comfortable and enjoyable to play is important.
    Another thought that covers a lot of ground is a Epi 335, they are $550
    ES_335_Vintage_Sunburst_820094-b82a9022b2375f486a5e323ca821d98f.jpg

Tele295 and gtttrrr like this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    He was learning the solo to bohemian rhapsody last night, mush easier to play on my EDP of Charvelle, than my hollow body Gretsches, so solid body is definitely in the cards. ESP EPi or PRS is my narrowed down, just a matter of watchin the sales for a cool finish now

Tele295 likes this.
  4. OleDangy

OleDangy Electromatic

Oct 23, 2020
    JC Tennessee
    So many great replies here on guitar options I didn't feel a need to add to that. Any will do great!
    Just wanted to say it's awesome you recognize in your son that he wants to rock and is electric guitar forward all the way. For some reason there is this myth or whatever that your first guitar absolutely has to be an acoustic. Mine was. But if he wants to play electric and is playing electric, then anything you get for him should be ace.
    My first guitar I could call my own was an Art and Lutherie Ami. I got it from Dad for Christmas after finding his old Epiphone dreadnought which was way too big for me. I still have that little Ami. I don't play acoustic much at all, but still treasure my first guitar. Sure he'll love whatever you get him, promise you that. I'm 34 now and wouldn't sell that thing for the world. Good luck and have fun! Christmas can be good and bad as life moves on but dad getting me a guitar is the best memory of Christmas I have so yeah man, you can't go wrong!

new6659, MrWookiee and gtttrrr like this.
  5. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    He has a whole stable to play, acoustic, 3 Gretsch, ESP, Charvelle, so he isn’t lacking in any of those, but “his own” is going to be electric for sure,,, acoustic in his future for sure tho as well

OleDangy likes this.
  6. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    You sound a little anal about buying a cheap guitar. There are literally thousands out there.
    If you don't buy THIS guitar, then you are wasting the Gretsch forum's time . . . . Man up and make a decision, you can't get any cheaper than this and with TV Jones pickups . . . the pickups and the Bigsby cost as much as the whole guitar! https://reverb.com/item/37175529-gretsch-electromatic-pro-jet-gold-with-bigsby

7. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I am sorry, but what always worked for us was used. I appreciate that you have a spending ceiling, and that teaches your son good finical sense and responsibility. You could probably find a used higher quality guitar for your $500 price ceiling. My son's first Gretsch was a $400 used G5120T in a Gretsch case, contained all the case candy. Back then street value new was $699 vs $799 suggested retail, and it had the case, a Gretsch leather strap and extra strings. I believe it was about 3 months old. My son did not care that it was used. You can probably find a nice display model that was used to shoot catalog pictures for a decent savings.

I don't mean to micro manage, but there are some great alternatives to "new". In any case, thanks for being that great Dad that is encouraging a gift of a lifetime.

gtttrrr likes this.
  8. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    You're too late on this one https://reverb.com/item/37175529-gretsch-electromatic-pro-jet-gold-with-bigsby . . . . I just bought it. He who hesitates, loses it.

9. muleskinnerslide

muleskinnerslide Electromatic

Oct 1, 2011
    Lebanon Oregon
    I didn't buy a new guitar until I was like almost 60 years old! I wouldn't have but the Melody Makers I used to buy at $300 all day long took off became popular selling at 4 times that... So I bought a new Entry level Pro Jet Gretsch instead (sans the Bigs). Later bought the newest Streamliner Entry level with Bigs. Couldn't be happier, both rock the house.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    gtttrrr and MrWookiee like this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
  11. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Reverend may have a few choices he’d like

gtttrrr and mrfixitmi like this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Bertotti likes this.
  13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I prefer “particular” to describe my idiosyncrasies :)
    Gotta admit, that ones pretty nice , and great price!:cool:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, I’m not totally against used, just easier to shop for new, and don’t have to place any trust in the seller at that point. Should it come in and he doesn’t love it, it can go back. Demo units are FOR Sure on the radar as well, same deal with those, they can be returned easily. My boy would have zero problems with a nice used, that how he has seen Dad get most of his music gear.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Again I am pleased that you are supporting your son in a reasonable way, it sounds like he has learned a lot from you, which is a wonderful thing with all the bad influences today he could have followed.

You are correct that the ability to return a guitar that doesn't fit is important, especially when it is a surprise, and due to COVID-19 restrictions you are fighting with handcuffs on both hands. If returns are off the shop's radar, then it could be a red flag, so it will be wise to avoid that level of service.
    Let's be honest, pictures can be helpful, but they may not tell the entire story. We have had customers that were told that something was mint, or minty, and only to find what the seller meant was that an old tic tac candy was dropped in the case or body.

I know that this may not be as appealing, but as someone mentioned, hand write a certificate, wrap it in a box, maybe with a guitar strap, some picks, or some other accessory, and let him know that you are going to go with him to pick out a guitar after Christmas.
    This way you get to spend quality time with him in the selection, and maybe be fortunate to get a deal on an after Christmas blowout.

This did work for my son, spending time together, to pursue the perfect choice, was something he was telling his friends that he never forgot. His friends thought that the old man was cool for spending time with him to search, locate and find, which was a bonus I never expected.

Your son sounds amazing, and I am hoping that everything turns out well for both of you.

gtttrrr likes this.
  16. OleDangy

OleDangy Electromatic

Oct 23, 2020
    JC Tennessee
    This makes total sense. Especially thinking back in my younger days. I could have a 50s Falcon to play lol, but it wasn't MINE. It's childhood nature to want your own. But as I said before he will dig whatever you get him.

mrfixitmi and gtttrrr like this.
  17. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Not sure if he's into SGs, but used and slightly beat up Gibson SG Specials are at decent prices on Reverb, 500-700. Or perhaps he could get a new Electromatic Jet?

18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I played a couple of these SG Muse's a while back and was completely blown away by how good they were, definitely worth a look. Screenshot_2020-11-21-11-24-24.png they come in a bunch of cool colors too.

19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Great idea, if I don’t find “the one” on BF deals this is a great option to put on the table, thanks for the advice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.