Teenager XMas guitar ideas?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by gtttrrr, Nov 18, 2020.

1. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Brings you to the used market, but this makes me think of a lower level Gibson. There’s a few P90 models or single humbuckers used on Reverb right now in the $500-650 range that I would buy even as somebody who has played for 25 years.

2. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Totally understand that, and appreciate the good advice! If I were blindly choosing for him, he would be getting a 5120 :) . He is looking at them with me day after day, but still wants it to be a surprise at Christmas . We are slowly narrowing the field as Black Friday approaches. He has played many different types at GC, so he has a pretty good idea of what all of the different styles offer up.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    But isn’t a good new Epi almost as good, or sometimes => a used Gibby? Fret wear being the biggest concern with going used. It’s his first guitar of his own, so I’m leanin towards new, unless I found just the right guitar. I typically, for myself, like to “try before I buy” or at least be able to return if I don’t love it. That’s where I’m lookin new for him as well, if he doesn’t love it, then off to shopping we go with return in hand.

4. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    G,

Touched on all the posts, if a Jet is not going to happen, my next stop would be a Les Paul, but not an Epiphone, take a slightly larger bite and buy a Gibson Lest Paul, or a Gibson SG. The new LP Studios are great, with lots of ''vintage'' and modern finishes, and priced for the serious beginner.

Either will be an investment that will last a lifetime, will hold their value, and he'll be starting off with the best.

If money is tight, start asking for some ''family'' buy in...I'm sure Gran and Gramps would love to get involved.

And...as thunder58 has already mentioned, get a ''correct'' case, not a gig bag. When your Son passes this guitar to his Son, the case will be well worn, but the guitar will stay like new.

Merry Christmas!

BIB.

YouFellowRebels and gtttrrr like this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    How about a Strat of some sort with a pool cavity route? That would allow him to easily swap pickups type in future as he grows in taste or experiments.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  6. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yep, that would be a great idea, as another post mentioned, his tastes are sure to change/ expand.

Merc likes this.
  7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I appreciate all of the responses, always good to get other’s perspectives. A lot of great advice from the group, as expected.

8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Little bugger’s eyein some of my prized pedals as well..... at some point you just gotta kick em outta the house and let em fend for themselves, amirite? :)

RatRod Gentleman likes this.
  9. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    I’d argue you get a better product with the Gibson still, especially in electronics. I think the Tribute models are an amazing steal, especially used (got one under $600). The Epi isn’t bad, but I’d say the Gibson is a lifelong guitar. Again, as anything with guitars, everybody has varying opinions.

Zeek likes this.
  10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Interesting thought, I’ll keep my eyes open to the possibility, hadn’t much considered a used Gibson LP, thanks! This is why I come here, ery helpful folk!

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    A Telecaster turns a boy into a man. Just sayin.

12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Otherwise, a 5220 is a great guitar for anybody. Great price, great gig-worthy guitar.

Stefan87, new6659 and gtttrrr like this.
  13. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
  14. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    Honestly, when I was that age I really wanted a Ibanez RG. I got one... I never play the thing anymore. I do play my tele and gretsch a ton though. I’d probably go with the Les Paul, just give him something super flexible if he gets into some different music than he is in right now.

YouFellowRebels and gtttrrr like this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    :)

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    The search is OVER fellas, what 15 yr old boy wouldn’t want this one????? :-@o_O:D

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  18. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    You just made me laugh. Guess what my other project is for the summer holidays? Yep - redoing the master bathroom! :D
    Boy will be disappointed by the bathroom - he wants the master bathroom turned into a ensuite for him. It's not happening. He may also be disappointed by being expected to spend time with his father (teenagers...). :rolleyes:
    My boy steals my G5655TG all the time, plays his acoustic, plays his sister's acoustic, occasionally plays my Godin SD... I think he gravitates towards the Gretsch because he can hear it not plugged in. I've got to get him to use my old Line 6 Pod XT. He doesn't like the volume of the old Peavey Bandit sitting in his bedroom, and no effects. He ain't getting too much access to my Helix LT...

I figured you were more than aware it's a Gretsch site, I was just surprised that no one had mentioned the G2210 and G2215 yet. Because they're so close in style to an LPJ, which was also suggested. They're not exactly a traditional Gretsch, and so they're not always front of mind. :)
    Hear you on finishes, though. My mate has a Korean Epiphone LP Studio - I've never seen anything quite like it, but wow... Sort of similar to a blueberry burst, but with green. He can't find anything online himself to describe what the finish is.
    I wouldn't want a studio, other than his... I wouldn't bother with a Gibson - they're too hit and miss, especially second hand. The 2020 Epi LP's are brilliantly spec'd and hard to argue against. They even have shoulders on their headstocks. And if you're looking at that sort of price, you're not going to pick up a dud.

19. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I had an Epiphone Les Paul and very quickly changed the rather harsh bridge and muddy neck pickups.

A year or so ago I bought a PRS SE. The pickups are so much livelier and coil split and the finish superb. A real all rounder.

it is without a doubt my most versatile guitar.

That would be my recommendation for a great quality guitar if it is within budget.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    gtttrrr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.