Teenager XMas guitar ideas?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by gtttrrr, Nov 18, 2020.

1. RatRod Gentleman

RatRod Gentleman Electromatic

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    I may be way way off the mark based on what’s listed above but Richie Fortus and others played some hefty stuff on a gretsch back then. It’s left field but “come as you are” sounds phat on a stock G2655TG-P90 and I’m pretty sure the broadtron PUP is the same size as humbucker allowing for an easy swap for a dirty Seymour Duncan at the bridge which is the best place for em. Balancing it with a P90 should be doable and it means if he wants to dabble in more Vintage P90 stuff in time.... and the only thing that’s certain is his tastes will change.

I went within a bees width of buying one of these the other day. An awful lot of geet for the money.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Either way , it's his first guitar and will be treasured for a long time .

gtttrrr likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh , .... and please make sure it gets a case ;)

4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Is epiphone offering a les paul special model these days, might be a decent starter or even a pro jet with a stop bar .

5. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I would go with a jet!

5120mantis and gtttrrr like this.
  6. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    A Gibson Les Paul Jr. with a single P90. He'll never look back and remember, you were 15 once.

Zeek, new6659 and 5120mantis like this.
  7. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    That's what my 15 year old's getting this Christmas. I've got the kit, he's got to build it with me. So he gets the 'gift' of time with his father (he can choose whether or not he thinks that's a good thing!), and comes away with a strat-style guitar. Electronics will be the cheap kit stuff, but the body's the best I could get. We'll work the neck hard. And I grabbed locking tuners and a Babicz trem. So it'll start as a very solid guitar, and he can upgrade the electronics down the track if he so chooses.

If not that, this is a Gretsch site. Why not the G2215 Streamliner Jet? Bolt on neck. Especially the Broadtron/P90 version (pretty sure that's why it's 15, not just 2210)..? Saw one the other day in my local shop (didn't have time to go grab it off the wall) - they look great.

T-Bawler and MrWookiee like this.
  8. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    I had a similar decision to make last August.

My 9-yr-old grandson started on a 3/4 nylon classic - easy on the fingers and the hand stretches - when he was 7. Last birthday I felt he was making such great progress I'd give him the extra encouragement a new/electric instrument makes.

Just before lockdown when guitars here became scarce and not always a good bargain, I bought him an Epiphone ES339 (with a case Mod!) in advance of his August birthday. My neighbour who plays an LP said he found them difficult to play seated and that its weight distribution didn't lend it to lying-on-your-back-on-the-couch playing.

The Epi has (maybe had now I notice) coil-tapped humbuckers so a single coil option. The semi-solid design means my grandson doesn't have to plug it into an amp and become antisocial. For times when he should use the amp we included a Line6 20W modelling amp that's more than enough in house with lots of variations.

It worked - he's coming on superbly.

His 5yr old brother has caught the bug and will have a decent ukulele to start on at Christmas but he doesn't know it. Me? My son and daughter are giv ing me sa kit guitar to build against the possibility that in 4-5 years I'll be needing a new guitar and in case I can't then afford an Epi...

T-Bawler and gtttrrr like this.
  9. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Jet is on the radar, but flyin low... he’s partial to really cool finishes, the jets just don’t have the punch that a quilted-top LP Epi. Also looking at PRS SE line. I stated $500, it for the right find, I’d likely go $600 . The case is also gonna set me back another $100-150, from what I’m seein.

10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    That is a VERY cool pedal! May go on my Christmas list, like I need more gear! Yes, I need more gear...... :) now I gotta see the Tavo site Black Friday as well,,, Christmas bonus needs to kick up this year. -:/

11. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I have an Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro III. Two Pro Humbuckers with coil tap. That way you can have both Humbucker and single coil sound. $400. Gold, blue or wine red.

gtttrrr likes this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    That sounds like a great plan for you and your son, an experience he will always remember for sure. My son is ALWAYS getting asked to help on home improvement projects, from large scale (gutting entire kitchens and bathrooms- tearin out walls, etc) to small stuff. He would not see this as a bonding opportunity, he would ask why I bought him a project, and when are we tiling the new master bath? I realize this is a Gretsch site, but our crew is a very diverse and multi-layered heap o’ wisdom. I have dipped my foot in other guitar forums, and found them to be quite nasty water that I would not choose to swim in, thus, my ask for opinions on “other than Gretsch” guitars on a Gretsch forum. Best of luck on the build, please post pics throughout, would love to see!

13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    :) hope the build goes well! It would likely take me longer than 5 years, long enough I would lose parts!
    Sounds like a GREAT guitar to start with, way to go on bein the favorite grandpa! I really dig the idea of the line six modelers, but he’s already caught the pedal bug playin my rig. Currently has a Crate something or other , G12 I think, that I bought at an auction to flip, has delay and chorus built in but maaan that volume pot is NOT linear at all! It goes from zero to 10,000 if a wind blow across it while turned all the way down. I have a Marshall 4X10 cab that I’m not using, was thinking about getting an Orange Micro- Terror for that, and letting him earn some $ for his pedal jones :) AF3EFFC4-EC4E-48AA-ABF8-9CA9D3CE35CE.jpeg

14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yep! That’s Why I have a couple 80’s shredders “Superstrats”!

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    This is where I’m leanin right now, pretty versatile guitar setup right there!

16. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Personally I'd go Epi Les Paul. Can't go wrong with a classic like that.

Zeek and gtttrrr like this.
  17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I am only seeing these with the Gretschbuckers? Nevmind, see them now

18. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Does it have to be new? There's always a decent selection of used, excellent quality, Epi LP's on Reverb. You might even be able to snag one with a hsc within your budget. If you're buying new forget the case (sorry Rich) and spend the money on the guitar itself. If it has to be a pointy one I'm not your advice guy.

19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    1C227BC7-B0C9-4C7D-9C2B-49552C39DB8C.png

I’ve always wanted this one, maybe I’ll go there, if he doesn’t love it,,,,, :) the coil tap would be a great plus, I don’t have single coil in ANY of my guitars.....hmmmmmmm

20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

As a father of a very good guitar player (even if hobbyist), 2 hints:
    - you are not buying a guitar for yourself (esp. regarding your latest post),
    - I've always let him choose and buy himself (as I had done myself). But stood there for pieces of advice on any guitars specs or ideas. (Finally that's how he ended buying and loving his strat, which I never would have seriously considered myself).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.