Teenager XMas guitar ideas?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by gtttrrr, Nov 18, 2020.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    My 15 yr old is KILLIN it learning, been at it for about 6 months, pickin it up way quicker than I ever did! Looking at either Jackson Soloist or Epi Les- Paul for XMas, any thoughts between the two? He likes both my ESP neck-through (New Yorker series strat-style) and my Gretsch electro Jet, so body style, he’s good with either. Both of these are quality guitars at decent price, gonna be watchin Black Friday deals to jump on either, just wanted to get the groups input. I think the Epi would be more versatile, but also can pull just about any type of music out of a Jackson Solist as well. He’s playin everything from Muddy Waters to Nirvana right now, he was brought up right to like a wide variety of good music! Appreciate any input!

michelb, Tele295, Trash Kidd and 5 others like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    What about setting a limit and allowing him to select his own?

doc538, Mr Swisher, Taco Cat and 5 others like this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    He kinda wants to be surprised and completely trusts Dad to set him up. We’ve looked at many, So I have a good idea of what he likes. Great idea though. I’m glad they still want some of the magic!

michelb, G5422T and Merc like this.
  4. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    He really likes a lot of the finishes on the Epi’s and those have been on my list for awhile as well, so I’m kinda leanin that way. Think they will be more versatile in the long run. If he get the Jones to dive bomb, I’ve got two with locking trems:)

GlenP likes this.
  5. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Was hoping to hear from some forum mems that had either? But would appreciate opinions from anyone who has neither!

6. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Squire Classic Vibe strat? If you steer him in the Les Paul direction he may develop a wicked Kossoff vibrato. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

GlenP and gtttrrr like this.
  7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    He’s needin a Humbucker for sure, he’s leaning toward some heavy stuff, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana.. so he needs one that can do some heavy..

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Hoping to snag one for around $500 Black Friday

9. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    172F2C66-B652-4085-B48F-A68675E1C100.jpeg He digs this, but also likes the more classic look of the LP Epi’s

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tele or a P-90 Epi slab.

RomanS, BCRatRod73 and gtttrrr like this.
  11. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Maybe a kit and he can roll his own?

Tadhg likes this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Ohh nooo, he wouldn’t be inta that :)

13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Oooooh yes! Start him out on P90s.

wabash slim and gtttrrr like this.
  14. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Jackson King V or RR all the way!!!!

15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    He’s not diggin the pointies ‍♂️that icon is my shrugging guy emoji :)

16. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    Very Cool!:cool:

The Epiphone lineup from this year has been getting really good reviews, but I think most are over $500, with the Les Paul Muse sitting right at that mark.
    https://www.americanmusical.com/epiphone-les-paul-muse-scarlet-red-metallic/p/EPI-ENML-SRMNH1

Then Squier Classic Vibe models will get you a few options with humbuckers, all under $500.
    Most are teles, but there is the 70's hss strat. Separately there's the more recent Contemporary strat with active pickups
    https://www.americanmusical.com/squ...at-hh-floyd-rose-flat-black/p/FEN-0370327-510

Also remember seeing this ESP Ltd m4oo model for $450 over at ProAudioStar
    https://www.proaudiostar.com/esp-ltd-m-400-solar-fade-metallic.html

Otherwise, stick with Jackson if he's already shown an inclination towards those models. Good Luck!

17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    nice ESP! Thanks for the links! Hadn’t thought about AMS for a good bit!

18. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    I remember loving those bands a teen in the 90’s. Oddly they both use the Fender style guitars. If he wants humbuckers and likes that kind of music I’d say LP. Otherwise go with the Fender (could get one in the price point and make it like Corgan’s, I think he has a hot rails). If he’s a huge nirvana fan go with the Jaguar or Mustang! Truthfully though, I once had an Epi LP Custom and wish I had never sold it. Recording once and had that and a Gibson custom. The Gibson was set up like garbage so the Epi actually sounded better (it did have upgraded pickups). They punch well above the price point and make wonderful instruments. Sorry, rambled.

gtttrrr and GlenP like this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Why not a jet? So many decent guitars out there . . . It seems like a pretty personal choice and you know him best.

Robbie, Tadhg and Marv666 like this.
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I'm having a black friday sale, I think I have a few Ubangi's on the shelf. Those absolutely rage for pumpkins.

That said, He would be able to appreciate a good recording interface for his rig, ya? Or even an affordable amp sim pedal w simple top panel controls. I use a Two Notes Torpedo Cab M simulator but there are affordable alternatives ..Watch this.

Tele295 and gtttrrr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.