Talk to me about Dynasonics

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Shadowy_Man, May 28, 2020.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, too bad because it seems like you’d find out what I’m hearing, and what you hear in the same guitar :)

Did you ever try them without the shielding first? Also, those huge magnets are too strong IME, have you tried the shorter style types like the T-Armond or the short-magnet Gabojo? I have a B-stock set of Gabojos in Filtertron casings that I’m not sure what to do with. They sit in a drawer for now (long story).

2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I ask mostly because I just dont have much trouble with Fender SC's, but I hear people complain. I shield my stuff and do other things. Just wonderin' if I can expect the same result. I can think of maybe 2 gigs where I had more hum than I could live with in the last 5 years. Both building issues...

3. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I've been pondering those Gabojo pickups for a while. Did you like them? I certainly like the idea of spring adjustment option. Just haven't pulled the trigger on buying

4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Also curious about the Gabojos. I see they also offer long and short magnet options as well. Any sound difference between the too?

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I already heard dull dynasonic... some early 53-54 jets could be very bright or ... dull (like a kind of humbucker flatness). I thought it was the consequence of the additional resistor they put in line with the volume pots in some jets (not all of them).

I heard some few modern dynasonic which sounds dull too... I thought I was loving the trebles too much, but 'meuh' some are really dull where the majority aren't.

I would say, that you have this kind of jazzy dynasonic set that some could be looking for...

Short version : sell them !

hcsterg likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    They’re great pickups with a nice price tag, and come from guys that really appreciate the DeArmond Model 2000. I only have a neck P9-style up in my Offset Tele. The Filtertron set was received over a month ago but haven’t had a chance to install them. Truth be told they did not exactly fit if raised up past halfway in the ring, a little too wide. They totally made it right though, and this in no way a bash, because they are checking their tooling and all that, to correct the issue. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another set. They were extremely responsive and concerned about the problem, which could just be a bad batch of casings for all I know.

I wanted to get the long ones out of tradition, but really the only benefit is that tradition. I think the Dyna sound can be had with shorts, JMO. The shorts are less likely to dampen the string’s vibration, and easier to install in various guitars. So far from what I hear, these Filtertrons sized Mr. 2000s are the very much the ‘real deal’.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  7. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I'm considering the Mr2000 for a Billy Bo. Added a set of Ray Butts to keep the filtertron vibe but it ain't working. So it's maybe Classics or the Gabojo pups....but will they fit???

8. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    It's important to note there a few makers of Dynasonics in the market place. The current DeArmond Dynas are really like the Deamond 2000s that are now discontinued but found in the Gretsch 512x line......I love my '08 5126 and are very balanced and supply balanced mids and high-end. These are different than the Dearmond 2ks which many have compared to P90s.

There isn't a universal Dynasonic on the market but I think the models that best capture the originals found Duo Jets from decades ago are made by Seymour Duncan. Punchy, warm when needed, great clarity on the high end without being shrill or "tinny". After hearing multiple demos in comparison using the same guitar and amp, I think T-Armonds don't hit the highs with the same quality but maybe have a slightly "fuller/rounded" sound. I know it is subjective but that's the best way I can describe the comparison.

9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Im struggling to avoid putting GFS Surf 90s into my Billy Bo. Make me stop! There's more important things in life though, I'm not gonna gig next weekend so I'll relax and enjoy the ponderin

10. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    I've got a set of the short magnet HB-sized Gabojos in a Tele, and to me they sound extremely similar to Gretsch Dynasonics (modern ones, never had a chance to try vintage ones - also never tried T-Armonds); bit fuller than DeArmond 2000s in a Gretsch Historic I had, but still plenty bright & twangy, and no trace of mud on the neck pickup. They are really my favorite pickups of all the ones I currently own (and that includes some very nice ones from Lollar, Pete Biltoft, Bare Knuckle, etc.)

I just ordered one of their P90-sized ones for the neck spot of a Thinline partscaster I'm about to start assembling (with a Bigsby B16, so I needed something Tele-sized in the bridge pickup spot - got a Gemini Dynacaster, which is also supposed to be Dynasonic like, with its oversize magnets and 44 AWG wire).

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Consider this: once you add Guitarfetish' inflated transcontinental shipping costs, VAT, import duties, and possibly, import handling fees, the Surf 90s won't be that much cheaper than Gabojo pickups - yet you'd still just have mass-produced Strat pickups in disguise, vs. handmade pickups modelled real closely on "the real thing".
    BTW, in your country there's also Mojo pickups who make HB-sized Dynas - no experience with those, and they always have long waiting lists...
    https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product-category/pickups/dynasonic/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  12. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Nice!!! I swear that I've dying to get my hands on a Tele and install Dynas. I've been talking about it for 2 years now but it takes me forever to to decide on anything. Hell, it takes me 10 minutes just to decide on a bowl of soup at a restaurant!!

I told my wife I "NEED" to buy a Tele like the one in the video. Her response was to stick it in my ear. :(

BorderRadio and RomanS like this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have them in my penguins, I am a fan.

14. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I was watching this today and was digging on the tone:

15. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Consider this, I have GFS Surf 90s that I bought easily and like as much, if not more than dynas. But they're different sounding, I don't think their description of being similar is appropriate. They're their own beast, not like stats either, nothing transparent or glassy

16. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Ok, if you already have them at home (& like them), that's a different story - it just wouldn't make sense to me to buy a new pair, if you're chasing the Dynasonic tone, and live outside the US (where the price advantages of GFS pickups quickly gets lost because of all the other costs involved...)

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  18. Styleruk

Styleruk Electromatic

Apr 2, 2011
    Uk
    I have a 6128T with dyna's and a setzer hotrod with setzer signature.
    I play both live and in studio.
    The dyna's give a real twang and sound awesome, I love them. But in the studio, they buzz a lot and pro tools has to work hard to get rid of that noise. But if I'm playing a twangy song, I reach for my jet. If I'm playing anything like gene vincent, the jet. But when you start to crank it to get some full sound, the setzer pickups rock. I prefer the setzer pickups live too as I play neo rockabilly and cover all sorts of songs, so it fits much better. I use the jet in a rock and roll band I'm in as it's generally a cleaner sound.
    During this lockdown, I've been recording stuff at home and the dyna's buzz was driving me mad.

new6659, Shadowy_Man and audept like this.
  19. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Exact scenario for me as well. Recently recorded a song through protools with a Hot Rod/Setz Sigs and a 5420 with T-Armonds. I only used the middle position for the TA’s as that had the least amount of noise. I use an older Waves Platinum bundle which removes the noise quite nicely but not perfect.

The Setzer Sigs are a phenomenal pickup to record with, I was shocked actually. I used both guitars in the tune and they offer a good diverse tone for a song.

I haven’t recorded in 8 years and the lockdown got me motivated again. I’m gonna post the song soon.

20. VictoriaDD59

VictoriaDD59 Gretschie

Feb 26, 2009
    Iowa
    I absolutely love T’Armonds, I usually use them for clean guitar sounds like mid 50’s rockabilly or even backing a singer / songwriter on ballad numbers. I don’t mind them with mild overdrive, but I don’t like them heavily overdriven or distorted.

To me they’re like a great cross of clarity and warmth, absolutely love them for Travis picking and round, yet sparkly clean tones with my AC30 or Allen Old Flame. Sorta like a Tele, but rounder, similar to a lower wound P90 as well. High end is very pleasant on the T Armonds

cqscqs and Shadowy_Man like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice