Talk me out of a new combo amp

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Intoamartian, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well I can't.
    I own another Roland SS amp as good as a Katana and don't like playing that at home either :D

And I wouldn't recommend any Fender or Vox amps either :rolleyes:

pmac11 likes this.
  2. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    Yea, I tried the effects loop attenuators, but really didn’t like the tone change. The little box I’m using between the amplifier and the speaker is going for between $50 and $75. I can dial my volume down to below a TV level. Other than going the reactive road ( costing $300 to $1200) there is no other option. Try EBay and look for “Stami’s Custom Attenuators”. They are reasonably priced, and they will give you all the ability you want to dial down the volume. You may need to add some extra treble using a non-reactive attenuators to satisfy your ears. If you are happy with your tone out of you current amp, trying to get a perfect tone for you out of another amp is really difficult. Even when you think another amp sounds good wherever you are trying it out, once you get it home, it likely won’t sound the same. Unless you really just want another amp so you can try a different tone, then by all means I won’t try to stop you. I, personally, can’t talk myself out of getting new equipment (guitars, amps, effects or anything else I see that might give me a different tone or sound), but you sound like you are really happy with your current tone. Is that correct?

Craig Encinitas and epimetheus81 like this.
  3. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Ok, I'll help you out. Sell the Mesa and what ever is left of your electrics and buy a nice Taylor Acoustical without pickups and strum quietly and harmoniously by your self. :rolleyes:

Rmccamey and Craig Encinitas like this.
  4. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    I’m going to resend my previous recommendation of an attenuator. I missed the part where you said you currently h ave a Boss Katana 50. It being solid state, the only real reason to use an attenuator is to over drive the power section of your tube amp to get power tube saturation at low volumes. Your Boss, being solid state, makes the true benefit of an attenuator rendered useless. If you do get a tube amp, then my suggestion holds water for your consideration. Sorry if I wasted the forums time! My bad.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Nobody needs an attenuator if you get a good versatile modern, and low watt, tube amp with power scaling options. Fender and Vox don't make any but many other amp makers do :)

6. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    I don't think I've ever really used a Fender!

I've only ever used Mesa, Orange or Marshall; which all have gain pots.

But the mesa attenuator is supposed to be a reactive load. I think that means it might affect the relationship of how is signal will feel coming out at 7 vs 1. Maybe it will help preserve that hot tube sag when you really push into those power chords!

7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Don't you own a Power Station?

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Sure do, and its great, but I don't "need" it.

My Mesa's do 25, 15, 10 and 5 watts so they're great as is for home use..
    I use the PS mainly for recording - if I wasn't doing lots of recording then I'd have little use for it.
    Also nice to run the Mesas on 25w at home, crank them to sweet spot and use the PS to control volume. It does not change the base amp tone.

But if I owned amps over 10w with no power scaling I would defintiely need the Power Station :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Bertotti likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hey we've been thru this attenuator issue several times already here.
    There is 1 attenuator/re-amper released 5 years ago that is the game changer.

Fryette Power Station does not change the base amp tone, has a dial with good sweep, is reactive load, is fully tube driven analog, attenuates or amps up to 50w and includes a great series loop. If you want an attenuator it's the only one worth considering imo.

https://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

10. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    I agree, about the Fryette (I have one) but not everyone has or wants to invest that kind of money in an attenuator. ( it is the price of another amplifier by itself). A non-reactive one costs less than $100 and can work just fine for “Practice” . Recording is a different animal, and I agree with the use of a reactive unit like a Fryette, a Mesa or a couple more brands. But, I stand behind my belief that even a 5 watt tube amplifier cranked to 10 is really loud if you don’t want to disturb apartment neighbors or other household members, IMO.

Waxhead likes this.
  11. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Gretschie

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    I was planning to get a Bad Cat amp.
    Unfortunately, it’s back ordered and I can’t reserve or pre-order one.

604BF93C-8986-4C67-BA36-4E2F115642BE.jpeg

Intoamartian likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I agree but I don't see a point in owning any high quality guitars/amps/pedals if you're gonna connect a device that will degrade the tone you've paid big money for - either for practice or anything else.

Every attenuator except the PS does degrade tone imo and all the others have volume switch with dB settings with big gaps between them. Outcome is you can never get the volume on your desired level. PS has a smooth dial with big sweep so adjusting to the perfect level is easy :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Bertotti likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota

Said many times by some of us but the Fryette needs to be looked at as more than just an attenuator. Honestly, I have the PS100 it was a return I got for a good price. I really never use it as an attenuator! I match the amp to cab impedances, fx loop, power boosting, direct box. But as nice as the attenuation is my needs are elsewhere.

I posted about this a few times over the years just not sure if it was where I wanted to spend my money. @Waxhead kept telling me to do it! He was right. Now that I have it and experiencing what it does I kick myself for not buying it earlier. Had I known how I would use it, it would have been the fourth piece of gear I purchased after the guitar amp and cab! And had I known I would have never bought the hybrid amps I have One pre tube and an ss power section is passable but is nothing like a good tube combo or head cab. The powerstation however does give it some of the tube goodness they are missing. But like I said had I known I would have headed straight to a Nocturne and Winfield small amps instead. Heck, I wound up there eventually anyway!
    @Intoamartian if oyu are interested in nice small home amps save your dollars. Buy a excellent one right off the bat. Are you looking for Fender predominately, Vox, a Bit of everything? I hit the Baby Blondshell for Fendery 5 watt home use very nice indeed, A Vox Nighttriain and Winfield Typhoon for Vox tones classic and more modern, or want a bit of it all go for the MesaMarkv series. I have a serious hankering for the Mark V 90 but the 25 and 35 are the real deal as well! Just sit down decide what sound or sounds you want and let that guide you. If I had one of those I could probably eliminate most of my other amps, if it wasn't for the fact I just like amps and speakers in general!

14. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    Yea, every amp has it’s own voice, just like every guitar. We all want every voice we can afford, or even if you can’t afford it we want it anyway. That’s the obsession we on this site all share.

15. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    By the way, the attenuators by Stami that I referred to, do not have step attenuation. It is full attenuation and moves and works just like an other volume knob. And they do get your signal all the way down to an absolute whisper, and there is not a lot of tone change. He worked hard to protect as much of the original tone as he could, and he did a very stellar job at it. Again, for between $50 to $80 bucks, it can be worth a try. Much better, and really no comparison, to others I have tried or to something in the effects loop.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    Except for a Fryette, that is!!!

Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sadly you have to pay for all the frills the Fryette has. But like I said I fought it and fought it but now that I have it I would not go back. I did consider a Roland offering but it had so many bells and whistles and stuff built in I would have been overwhelmed with choices for a load of stuff I would dabble with but never use.

MrWookiee and Waxhead like this.
  18. Intoamartian

Intoamartian Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    I got a decent deal on a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Blonde so I’m gonna give that a try. If it doesn’t meet the need I’ll return and go tube.

Thanks for the advice!

epimetheus81, MrWookiee and J Bird like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Considering your situation you may love it!

Intoamartian likes this.
  20. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    Great choice, and good luck with it.

Intoamartian likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.