Talk me out of a new combo amp

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Intoamartian, Sep 21, 2021.

1. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Buy an attenuator. I use a great Mesa Boogie that has some filters to adjust the sound as well as a line out! No integrated cab sim, but it'll handle any amp up to 150 watts!

And the attenuation is a sweep at the final setting rather than a db reduction!

PXL_20210212_185300195.jpg

gtttrrr, pmac11 and Intoamartian like this.
  2. Intoamartian

Intoamartian Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    An attenuator may be the option as I do have a monster tube amp (Fender Pro Tube/Twin) available.

Thanks for all the responses and idea, another thread of evidence that this is the best guitar forum!

3. mwpv11

mwpv11 Newbie

Sep 23, 2017
    Holiday, FL
    Look at the Fender Tone Master series they are great and light weight

Intoamartian likes this.
  4. Bradford

Bradford Electromatic

Jan 21, 2016
    Metro Detroit
    I would never talk you out of it. No way, no how. I have a Spark, similar boat as your Katana and I love it. My daughter uses it mainly bit it has its place for sure. I will update trade that for a tube amp though.

I also have and can suggest a Vox. I have the AC4 TV, the AC10 and the AC15. All are great. The 10 seems to behave quite a bit different than the 15, it has sweet spots whereas the 15 just sounds killer everywhere. The 15 is twice the size though and considerably more expensive, even used but well worth the difference in price too. Plus you get 2 channels and tremolo as well.

Do it, get yourself the tube amp you're after. A 15watt is enough to play at home and keep up with a band. If you got it's still plenty as everything these days is mic'd anyways. You'll get the best driven sound when it's cranked and 15 watts is way more doable than 30 2x12 or 40 watts or more. You can tame with the 15watts for home as well.

wabash slim and Intoamartian like this.
  5. rebuhrman

rebuhrman Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Maryland, USA
    Check out the Fender Mustang GTX50. Super lightweight, very affordable, sounds great quiet or loud, tons of sounds to play with including nice Fender amp models.

Intoamartian likes this.
  6. rs-guitar

rs-guitar Electromatic

Feb 19, 2021
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Not cheap, but a Fender “Tone Master” Deluxe Reverb would be a great choice (24 lbs). Sparkling cleans and it take pedals well. It can be dialed all the way back to less than .2watt for quite indoor use. I was using a Fender Mustang, for when I didn’t want to lug tube amps to rehearsals. After hearing the Tone Master, the Mustang has been transferred to the for sale pile.

Intoamartian likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I don't know what an attenuator would do for a Twin, don't it have a master volume? My Twin just sounds the same wether its on 1 or 10.

Intoamartian likes this.
  8. epimetheus81

epimetheus81 Electromatic

Mar 2, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I was wondering about this. My worry with the 15 is that if I keep it low, I'd lose some sparkle and shine from the cleans. It holds up?

9. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    Why a combo?
    Separates! There lots of nice small heads and
    you can keep the head close and kick a 1x12 across the room and avoid feedback easier.
    If you need to mess with one or the other it's way easier to move and or repair one thing.
    BUT if you want something interesting --and tubular--find a Fender Excelsior. Just 13 watts, Very cool looking--15" speaker, and has three inputs! (GTR-MIC and Accordian)--not much in the way of "toys" just a tremelo knob and a "bright/dark" slider switch.

pmac11, G5422T and FunkyWilly like this.
  10. MIke M

MIke M Electromatic

Jul 28, 2021
  11. Greg Country

Greg Country Newbie

Nov 11, 2020
    Napa, CA
    I have an original 68 Princeton I use at home, and it sounds killer with my 6120. And my other electrics as well. There just ain’t nothing like tubes for classic tone. You want to be able to set vol at least to 4, so size your amp accordingly. Also check out the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb. Very close to tube sound, and that line has an attenuator so you can select power - down to 5 watts - and then push the vol control for punch. Want to go louder? Dial up the watts. Very cool.

Intoamartian likes this.
  12. Intoamartian

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    This Twin does not have a master. It was a 2001 version of a Twin that’s not a reissue.

13. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

In the early 70's the Twin had a master volume for a couple of years. I have one, a 1973 (I think).

14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I really like the Excelsior. It's a fun amp to play through for me, and I like the sound that I get.

Gretsch + reverb tank + Excelsior = there goes the afternoon.

Add a Fluid Drive, and there goes the evening too.

This cheap amp shouldn't sound this good. :)

15. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    If you really must, I would suggest either a Fender Mustang I V2 or a Champion 20. Plenty of loud & more than quiet enough for a small room. I play mine in the living room of a 1,235 sq ft 3/2 house with a vaulted ceiling for the living room only. That said, the master BR for me is 13x15 (195 sq ft). the largest BR after that is 13x11 (143 sq ft), not sure what your room is. I'd say I have 500 sq ft of BR space, the garage is 400 sq ft but in addition to the 1,235 living space. That leaves bathrooms & kitchen to reduce the living room from 735 sq ft to 600-ish sq ft.

If the Boss Katana 50 is too heavy to carry around, the combo is 25.6, A Champion 20 is a 12 lber, less than 1/2 the weight. The Mustang I V2 a 17 lber saves 8.5 lbs. Both the Fender 20Wers are sub $100-ish preowned street price. Would that complement the Boss Katana 50W ? You could probably sell the Boss Katana 50W and not really miss it ? Likewise, you could probably just keep the Volume lower with the Boss Katana 50W and not even bother with getting a Fender 20Wer. There's a switch on the back that turns your solid state Boss Katana 50W into a 25W amp. I think you're fine with what you have.

If basic noise is all you're after a Frontman 10g/15g or even mod the Katana to be used with either a EHX 5MM or VHT Redline Micro 6 (6W) pedal amp.

16. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Mostly Harmless
    @wabash slim hehehe..

Yes, get a small amp, a small tube amp, imo. Princeton, Blackstar or Marshall 5watters, supro BK or DK choices are plentiful where you at..

There's most of your tone...

Just my opinion

17. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, most of the SF Twins have the MV, mine is a '74.

Sid Nitzerglobin and new6659 like this.
  18. ldyore

ldyore Electromatic

Jan 22, 2014
    Alabama
    771F331C-2E32-4E49-8576-A96A18FDD779.jpeg 7229C9D9-DCAF-46D3-9B96-0A8C5F57A5D9.jpeg No matter what you pick, even 5 watts of tube power is too loud when turned up to 10 or 11. You will still need an attenuator. But, attenuators that only need to handle 5 to 15 watts are pretty cheap ( as compared to one that can handle 50 to 100+ watts). I love my Blackheart Little Giant, but I also have a Fender Vibro Champ XD and a Vox Night Train. All of them are too loud for full volume bedroom playing (IMO). I use attenuators on them still. The attenuator I use is only about $80 and it works on amps up to 50 watts.

Attached Files:

Intoamartian likes this.
  19. Intoamartian

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    I’ve been using the effects loop as a way to act as a master volume recently, somewhat successfully. That being said it is still a massive/big sound and hard to tame.

20. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Blues Jr. does the trick for me.
    [​IMG]

NowEarThis and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.