Talk me out of a new combo amp

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Intoamartian, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Intoamartian

Intoamartian Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    I’ve off loaded some gear (I need to sell my players series tele and G5230t as well) in order shore up what I actually use.

I’m using a Boss Katana 50 for bedroom playing when I don’t use headphones. I’ve used tube amps exclusively for years but it seems like overkill at this point in my life.

That being said I keep wanting to buy a decent small combo amp for home use but it seems like overkill.

Help talk me out of it or push be in the direction of it being a good move. Thanks!

2. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    What kind of guitar are you playing and what style music or sound are you going for? Do you want a big amp or small, digital tube or solid state

edit I missed your tube amp comment

Intoamartian likes this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The fact that you're asking us to talk you out of it suggests that you don't want it anyway.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a Yamaha THR10 for home use and a JCM800 for when I want to get loud, the Yamaha is fantastic and love it but I will say as good as it is it still isn't a tube amp and I am considering getting a good 1/5 watt small combo amp to take its place.

So I say if you want a tube amp for home use then go for it, if you are using it frequently then it's not overkill.

Intoamartian likes this.
  5. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I don’t see a problem with a small amp like the blues juniors or vibro champ ect . They are small and light compared to my 79 Mesa and 74 twin

Archtops and Intoamartian like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You expect these rabid enablers (a great band name, by the way) to talk you out of buying another amp? I grant a 50 watt amp is overkill for bedroom use. Either a Vox AC15 or a Deluxe Reverb would be perfect. You can always buy used, too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    doc538, KaHOnas, SAguitar and 8 others like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I ain't talkin' you outda nuthin'

stevo, doc538, Rock Lajoint and 8 others like this.
  8. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I understand what you are going through. I am trying to talk myself out of getting a Supro Blues King.

Archtops, Zeek, MrWookiee and 3 others like this.
  9. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Has 'talk me out of it' ever worked here? Even one time? :)

10. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I was very surprised by the new Tone Master series by Fender. The Deluxe sounded great at low volume particularly.

11. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Sounds like a tone master deluxe reverb would be perfect for you.

12. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I have a better idea. A nice 50 watt tweed Peavey classic but just dont turn it up loud. Its heavey but once youve put it in your bedroom you dont ever have to move it again. (Im selling one in chicago as luck would have it!)

13. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    There is no such thing as overkill, killing is binary. it either kills or it doesn't, and tube amps are killer!

Intoamartian likes this.
  14. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I think you need a Princeton.:rolleyes:

15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
  16. epimetheus81

epimetheus81 Electromatic

Mar 2, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm in a similar boat. Started playing seriously again last year and grabbed a Katana 100 MKI (got it for the price of a 50 MKII) to limit gas as I got started. Now I'm feeling the tube itch and have spent way too much time on forums looking at small amps. A lot depends on where you are and what you want.

My searches have led me to the idea that the AC15 is cool to have in a home but maybe not an apartment, they apparently like to be loud. I've played the AC10 in a shop and it's plenty of usable volume for home if you want to go the Vox route. Reviews are mixed on the AC4. Princetons are beautiful and I honestly think you can get away with a Deluxe Reverb. I had one that I stupidly sold before I moved to Europe and it was fine played clean in an apartment. The Tone Master feels like a solid option (thanks for the recs in this thread y'all!) and something I'm looking at too.

short version: I'd say 15 watts max and you'll end up keeping it clean and getting dirt from pedals. If you want dirt at apartment volumes, look for something smaller or invest in an attenuator. I think once you add Laney and Blackstar in the mix there are some reasonably priced combos that'll get you tones to keep you playing....at least I hope so.

Intoamartian likes this.
  17. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    You want me to do what? Hell I'm trying to talk myself out of another Allen or a Tophat or whatnot.

Attached Files:

Intoamartian likes this.
  18. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Just do it and be done with it!
    Bedroom is the only place I play these days and a real nice tube amp is just bliss. Sell what you don't need and invest in a Blues Junior, Princeton or my fave, Vox AC15HW.

19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I really dig my Egnater Rebel, they can be found at a steal. Its my “family room” amp. Running a Plethora x5 with it now, bit honestly live the straight-in sound for blues grind to heavy, cleans are good too, I just choose not to head toward perfectly clean very often. :cool:

Intoamartian likes this.
  20. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    B891F741-F366-4D04-A94F-87BA627E5EBD.jpeg 5 watt tube amp
    10” speaker
    Fits under the desk and easy to move with one hand
    Plenty loud for the bedroom
    Under $600
    Blues Jr would be louder, and sound better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.