T-Armond/Filtertron combo

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I recently installed a T-Armond in the neck position of a 5445 jet and left the blacktop filtertron in the bridge position, (for now). I was wondering if anyone here has a similar combination, single coil/filtertron set up and what your thoughts are.
I was hoping for more of a tele/strat tone in the neck position and something a bit more subtle with selector switch in the middle position. Sounds good, however, the results are not really what I was after.
Here's a pic, Thanks

Attachments

• tarmond.jpg
    tarmond.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 26

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
I have thought about something similar. Can I ask you? In videos I’ve noticed that the Low E in T-Armond demos sounds louder than the rest. Do you notice anything like that in real life?

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I haven't noticed that on mine, I haven't messed with pole height at all either. I just adjusted the pickup height to TV jones specs and that's it. Not to say that I won't, ha!

collama

Gretschie
Sep 4, 2017
Colorado
My 5620t has Dual Coil Super Hilo Tron in the neck and Filtertron in the bridge position. That dual coil is very similar to a single coil, though I’ve never played a tearmond so I don’t know how similar it is to that.

Anyway, it overlaps a little with a strat and tele standard neck pickup but not totally. Part of it is the scale length. You’re never going to get the tele or strat sound with a 24.6 scale.

Do you not like it? I been thinking about getting a Jet and putting in t-Armonds or the dual coil pups so I’m curious what you like and what you don’t like.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
T-Armond is gonna sound like a single coil Gretsch, which predates the filtertron pickup. If you want it to sound like a tele, I suggest a tele pickup.

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
My 5620t has Dual Coil Super Hilo Tron in the neck and Filtertron in the bridge position. That dual coil is very similar to a single coil, though I’ve never played a tearmond so I don’t know how similar it is to that.

Anyway, it overlaps a little with a strat and tele standard neck pickup but not totally. Part of it is the scale length. You’re never going to get the tele or strat sound with a 24.6 scale.

Do you not like it? I been thinking about getting a Jet and putting in t-Armonds or the dual coil pups so I’m curious what you like and what you don’t like.
Thanks for your reply! I like the T-Armond a lot, sounds fantastic! I guess I was just thinking I was going to get more of that tele/single coil tone and it is there, however, very subtle.
It's a very powerful pickup and I think I need to upgrade from the blacktop filtertron in the bridge position to another T-armond or a more powerful filtertron. There are some volume issues while playing in the middle position, nothing serious though.

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
T-Armond is gonna sound like a single coil Gretsch, which predates the filtertron pickup. If you want it to sound like a tele, I suggest a tele pickup.
Thanks, I actually have a Tele and a strat, ha! I just thought it would be nice to have a gretsch jet with the same single coil tone.
I guess I just have too many gretsches with blacktop filtertrons, ha!

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Fred
Jan 19, 2012
Maldon UK
TArmonds are wound hotter and therefore a lot more middy that current Gretsch Dynasonics, and not really Tele-like. I put 1 meg volume and tone pots in my Duo Jet which opens up the top end, putting back some of the single coil spank. The TAs are still not really Fender-like. Lindy Fralin has brought out a P90 in a Dyna casing with alnico slugs that are supposed to give a bright Fender sound; I'd like to give them a try sometime.

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
The T-Armond in the neck position sounds great! Not exactly the tone I was hoping for, however, I love it. Now let the “tinkering “ begin, ha!
Now, what do I do with the bridge pickup? (Blacktop Filtertron)

BorderRadio

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Did you try dropping the pickup coil and bringing up the magnet slugs? Ignore TVJs settings for a minute, these pickups were made for tweaking. It doesn’t take much, but I get a fat Strat neck-like sound in a Tele this way. If you were thinking of getting Fender-y sounds on your Jet and it’s not close enough, then it could be something unchangeable like the scale and pickup placement—all depends on the point of reference :)

I’d get a Classic bridge to match if you insist on a dual coil pickup. Ask TVJ to make it in a Blacktop cover to preserve the good looks.

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
Did you try dropping the pickup coil and bringing up the magnet slugs? Ignore TVJs settings for a minute, these pickups were made for tweaking. It doesn’t take much, but I get a fat Strat neck-like sound in a Tele this way. If you were thinking of getting Fender-y sounds on your Jet and it’s not close enough, then it could be something unchangeable like the scale and pickup placement—all depends on the point of reference :)

I’d get a Classic bridge to match if you insist on a dual coil pickup. Ask TVJ to make it in a Blacktop cover to preserve the good looks.[/QUOTE
Thank you so much for your reply!
I'll do some tweeking as soon as I get home from work today. Appreciate the advice!