Synchromatic Value?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Randy99CL, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Any idea of age and relative value??
    Sparkle Jet 1.jpg
    Sparkle Jet 2.jpg
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Back in Black likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Circa 2000. Pre FMIC. I had the red one, a G1629. New, it was $350. They have the Gretschbuckers, which, some dislike, tho they weren't too bd when adjusted properly.
    Present value? I've seen them go for as low as 200, and seen them listed for $1000 or more, tho I doubt anyone would get that for one.

Randy99CL likes this.
  3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Thanks Slim!

I think this is the same guitar I saw listed for $900 about six months ago. The owner said he bought it new, it was rare and collectable and "worth every penny"!
    I emailed him and said I was interested but that I thought his price was high and if he would research that model and get back to me with a new price I'd appreciate it. He wrote back with an attitude and said that he didn't need to sell and if he couldn't get what he was asking he would just keep it.
    This time his price is quite a bit lower.

It looks pretty good but the sparkle finish hides any flaws. I'm having trouble finding out the exact model number but it does seem to be in the G16XX series. Not worth a whole lot.

wabash slim likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's not a bad guitar. It's an entry level instrument. It'll lead you onto the harder stuff like Electros and Pro lines. Sure isn't worth $900 when you could get a 56XX series for less. He's just fishing for a sucker. As always---Caveat Emptor!

5. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    Though not specifically listed over on GDP, the intuitive leap for a model number would be a 1616-T. There are a number of holes in the GDP data base on these series because, well, no one really cares much. $200 is the high end for the painted versions. The sparkles always seem to at least get listed for a bit more, and then add a few bucks for the Bigsby versions. Like Gary said, they are not bad little guitars but rare they are not.

6. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I bought a similar model (maybe not the same) on a lark several years ago because it was blue (sparkle). Mine has the single F-hole feature, and lacks a vibrato. I scored mine for under $200.

7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I know that Europe it's not exactly what you need to compare prices (all is more expensive over here), but I had the same guitar (with the F-hole), same Bigsby B700, and I payed 250 Euros (around 280 USD) for it.
    Nice little axe, with the right pickups (and a roller bridge) it stayed in tune and rocked.

Edit: maybe that should be the Black Sparkle, not the Silver that was the one I had. They're a bit more rare, but I don't think they'll ever worth more than 300 bucks.

8. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Randy,

Worth is like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.

If you have to have it, certainly don't pay more than you would for a new Electromatic Jet as it is nowhere near the guitar the new Jets are.

Also don't buy it with the idea of stripping off the glitter, thinking you're going to find a nice grained maple cap...you will be sorely disappointed.

Think long and hard. Any mod/parts swap such as pickups will cost more than any real worth the guitar may have .

Best,

BIB.

9. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    A hard shell case would greatly affect the price. I personally like the pre FMIC stuff. Especially if you can prove it was made in Japan. No improvements to speak of that I can see. I agree with Randy's first comment. Seller needs to do some research. Need to prove the value a bit.

Back in Black likes this.
  10. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    $350 max if you like it.

11. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    So you're saying I shouldn't have put a $170 T-Armond and a $ 20 tailpiece on a $100 guitar???:D:eek::D:eek:

IMG_20200331_105405.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    new6659 and Back in Black like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Honestly, that one would be a little screamer!

dak55 likes this.
  13. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    dak,

Absolutely not!

Nor should you put over $3000. in a new $450. G5222, to create a Malcolm Young ''Salute'' Jet.

And...you'd be really crazy to spend $1200. on a vintage Burns Trem unit...just because...you had to buy the complete guitar/case...and have it all shipped from the UK to Canada. I stripped off some of the Burns hardware and threw the rest out.

Finally, if you're going to say...why didn't I just buy the ''real thing'' to begin with and save myself the money/time and trouble...I did that too...

Having said all that, I'm not a ''model example'' of what someone else should do...

By the way, love your $100. Jet! I'd install a vintage ''V'' Bigsby and a dynamic bridge, a Gretsch Space Control bridge would be nice. You'll have that $100. Jet up to $1000. in no time.

Best,

BIB.

G5222 in aged natural finish.jpg DSCF1308.JPG vintage Burns guitar.jpg DSCF1322.JPG

dak55 likes this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Thanks for all the responses! What a great crew!

I'm still waffling on this guitar as my collection is relatively full but this one is different from any I own. My only Gretsches are full sized semi and hollow.
    And I just think it looks cool. I intend to buy some wall hangars and display some as art and this one would add to that. To me it is an inexpensive piece of Gretsch history.
    It's also cheap enough that if it played well it might be fun to mod with new pickups and a roller bridge (that break angle is sharp). I'd only spend about $60 for some filtertrons or something from GFS, maybe P-90s?

So I'll let the cat out of the bag...It's listed at $350 with the Gretsch hard case. The owner calls it "pristine" and all the pics look good. Pics of the case show it's not beat up either.

My research makes me think it is a G1615-T. Black sparkle, pre-Fender.

Today makes 23 days since it was first listed so there is not much interest. Haven't contacted the seller yet but if I decide to get it I'll probably pay his price if it is actually "pristine" as he says. Still on the fence, it wouldn't kill me if I didn't get it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.