Surprising NCD!!

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Randy99CL, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I've posted my opinion of guitar cases here many times, even just last week.
    Mainly: I don't like logos and I think many generic cases are as good as the factory versions for much less money.

So what happened today, I ignored everything I believe?? Yes pretty much. The only excuse I can make is that I've thought this case looks really cool and I'll use it to protect one of my favorite, rare guitars. Also, it is currently 25% off and that makes it only about $50 more than what I normally buy.
    Fender Case Mint Green.jpg
    Fender Classic Series Wood Strat/Tele Limited-Edition Case Surf Green | Musician's Friend (musiciansfriend.com)

Yep, it's got a name badge and is expensive, surprise! And it does look really cool.

I'll edit this post tomorrow and add pics.
    I love the Surf Green color.
    This is a really nice case, as you would want for the price. Top quality+.
    It has two locking spring latches that none of my others have.

I really do like the way that Fender angles the instrument in the case and my S-type fits perfectly with only about one-half inch wiggle room in any direction.
    The end of the headstock rests against a 1.5" thick firm foam pad that is the best of any of my 12+ hard cases, kudos Fender! Brilliant idea in an area where I think many cases lack protection. If the guitar moves less than an inch the strap button hits the divider and stops it, I like that because in many generic Strat/Tele cases guitars can slide enough that the headstock can slam into the inside of the end of the case. In some the guitar can slide a couple of inches, but not this one, fantastic!
    The bottom edge rests against another 1.5" firm foam pad that is again the best I've seen in any case.

The lid for the storage compartment has a strap with a snap holding it closed and I like that it is accessible with the guitar in the case, it is not blocking the storage like in many others.

The only negative I have is that the inside of my case is blue and not green (as in the pics) WTH?? I picked this color for my Butterscotch guitar and the green looks good with it, the blue not quite as much. But not a big deal, not important.

In summary, this is the best case of 12 I own and worth every penny it cost, 5+ stars! The only other that holds the guitar as snugly as this (also 5+ stars) is my Gator TSA Flight Pro S/T case that costs about the same as this one but has much less style.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  2. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    Now you got me thinking about my cases for my Fender EJ Strat and Gretsch Setzer 59 Smoke. Pics and report tomorrow. I think both cases are really good.

Randy99CL likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    100 % agree with ya Randy .... but that is a beautiful case . Congrats

Randy99CL likes this.
  4. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    Finally found this thread again! Forgot to mark it. So, here goes. The Gretsch case for my 59 Smoke is nice. Fits the guitar perfectly, as one would hope. Shipped here (Minnesota USA) from Sweetwater in Indiana USA. It was in a Gretsch box which was inside a Sweetwater box. No extra padding in the case itself. Here's 3 pics:
    IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1767.jpg IMG_1768.jpg

Gregor, Syncro, Randy99CL and 4 others like this.
  5. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    Next is the Fender case for my EJ Strat. Sweetwater put a little extra bubble wrap in this case for shipment. It was also in a Fender box which was in a Sweetwater box with extra packing material. Case and Guitar arrived unscathed. Again, the case fits the guitar really well; not as snug and form fitting as the Gretsch, but gets the job done.
    IMG_1771.jpg IMG_1772.jpg IMG_1770.jpg IMG_1773.jpg IMG_1774.jpg

Randy99CL, Jackrd, MrWookiee and 2 others like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm a firm believer in generic cases as well. They're meant to take a beating so that it protects your guitar. They get covered in stickers and scars. I really don't get case purists, and the idea of case covers (a case for your case) boggles the mind.

All that being said, that mint green Fender case is gorgeous.

Just don't add gold piping to any case.

Randy99CL and thunder58 like this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    As I've stated many times before ... ( still a gorgeous case Randy )
    Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.24.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.27.14 AM.png

Randy99CL and wabash slim like this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've found great deals with Epi cases. Side note: Epi Kat cases fit Jets, but LP cases won't.

9. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Still ...all in all ..... every guitar should come with a case :mad:

MrWookiee and Randy99CL like this.
  10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yup! Otherwise it'd be like buying a car without tires.

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    We have all talked about this enough that I know we agree; the name brand cases are often not worth the extra money. And I really don't like the brand name advertising on the case.

I never would have paid full retail for the Fender case but at $50 off I just had to buy one. It looks amazing, I love that LE color and I honestly had not noticed that the case angles the guitar and I think is more secure than all the other cases. I like that you can open the storage while the guitar is in place and most of the other Strat/Tele cases let the Teles slide around too much.

I'm just getting ready to take some pics so will continue this discussion.

Gretschzilla likes this.
  12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    OK these pics are terrible but make my point, this case really holds an S-type more securely than any of the cheap cases. The guitar is my Fender Pawn Shop '51, a 2010 MIJ that is incredible with the best neck of any of my guitars. They spent the extra time to round the edges and perfectly finish the fret ends.
    Not expensive but I paid a little more (last year off CL) than I did for either of my new Player Strats.
    Fender 1a.JPG Fender 2a.JPG Fender 3a.JPG Fender 4a.JPG

You can see that the guitar can not move, the headstock is up against the padding while the bottom is snug too, and the upper strap button keeps it from sliding forward and putting any more pressure on the neck.
    I tried some T-types in the case and that guitar is snug also, the headstock and body are both right against the padding so it doesn't move.
    Most of the cheap cases allow T-types to slide around enough that the headstock can slide into the inside end of the case, possibly hard enough to damage it. I read one review where they said their headstock had punched out the end of the case, wow!
    Before this Fender case the best fit I'd found is this Gator Flight Pro TSA Series Case I got on sale last year. It is about the same price as the Fender and also a perfect fit for an S-type.
    Gator 1a.JPG

I have collected a lot of guitars and have a HC or gig bag for each, I stand them on end so they are easy to get to. At some point I realized that I don't need expensive cases for storage at home, I only need one or two good cases for each style of guitar for the time in the future when I actually take them from my apartment!

thunder58 likes this.
  13. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I have always gassed for that surf green case, but don't have a surf green guitar yet. Maybe I should buy the case anyway.

Randy99CL likes this.
  14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sometimes that logo just screams, "Steal me first!".

Randy99CL likes this.
  15. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Wow!! That is a beautiful case!! I checked out the link and, frankly, think the price is reasonable and am going to get one for my Strat......

Randy99CL likes this.
  16. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Not trying to sell you anything and I have no affiliation but right now is the time to buy if you want one. The sale won't last much longer.
    It is $$50 (25%) off at MF and you still get their 8% reward points ($12) for later.
    I've been watching their sales for almost two years and this is the only time this case has been marked down. As I've said before, I only buy when on sale.

I bought that color case for that Butterscotch guitar, I thought the green looks better than the blue would.
    It's weird how much color shift I get with that camera, the second and fourth pics (with better lighting) show the actual blue color of the inside and I wish it were green like in the factory pics.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    thunder58 likes this.
  17. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    Just this weekend, I noticed that the street price for deluxe Fender/G&G cases for Strats and Teles is now $299.99. There are still a few out there for less, but if you check the big box retailers, you will see the "new" price for tweed, brown and black tolex, and most others. I see the tweed P-bass case is like $319.99. Inflation is hitting everything now, in a very big way!

18. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    I cannot believe this. Just got home and the Fender case, which I bought in Surf Green arrived. When I ordered it I told the guy on the phone at Musicians Friend about Randy 99CL's experience of getting a green case with a blue interior and told him that while his might be a 'one off' and possibly more valuable one day, like a double struck coin, be sure I have green on green. I angst over the decision about what color to get and Randy's looks so cool I had to go with the green. So what do I get? Same as Randy. Really annoyed about this. How can Fender be making cases like this -- show one photo in green and one in blue and mix the two together? Now I have to go through the hassle of returning the case. Bet they won't check the next one either and I have the same experience again. Anyway, as Randy noted, it is a great case, esp. for the price, but I want what I want and, that is, what I ordered.

Randy99CL likes this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I haven't updated this thread but I am disappointed with my case also.
    Mine has a ding in it that is not bad or especially noticeable but the front edge of the lid, where the latches are, is warped so it doesn't line up perfectly with the bottom. That piece of wood is angled, when closed and latched the lid lines up with the outer edges but it tapers and at the handle it angles out and overlaps the bottom by almost 1/4". Not really noticeable and I was willing to ignore it but after sitting with it a few days I think I'll return it.

Jackrd, you can return anything you buy from MF at any GC store. It saves me a ton of time and trouble, you may have to find a manager to process the return for you.
    I'm going to see if they have any at the store that I can exchange for this one.

I, too, really want a green interior but am not sure how to get one. You can't expect them to unbox these to check the color, and I imagine they are all blue.

Edit: OK looks like this case is a GC/MF special, this color is not on the Fender or any websites other than theirs.
    The sale won't last forever so I'll return mine at the store tomorrow and order a new one from the website.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  20. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Thanks Randy - I plan on going to GC today. Pain in the neck though as I have to carry this thing on the subway all the way to their store on 14th St. (NYC) and I live on 95th. My concern is that like you said, this is going to be every case - green exterior/blue interior, despite the photos on their website. It makes me think that these cases were a manufacturing error, hence the good price. And yep, they are not going to go opening boxes but I bet the next one I get is green with blue. If that happens I will return it again and just get a refund. Who knows, I may get lucky and they have one in the GC that is correct. Though, like I said, I think this is a manuf. mistake and they are trying to sell them off hoping you won't return them. Just my cynicism. I will update once I go through the motions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.