Surprising Instrument (Epi Dot Content)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Synchro, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree, completely. For most guitars, I rarely if ever use the tone control, but it’s nice to have.

Mark W and ruger9 like this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ

That's me too, on most of my guitars (I DO use the tone switch on my Hot Rod tho). For me tele, I have a tone control kit sitting here called a "Greasebucket" circuit. There's a long story as to why I wanted to try it, but that doesn't matter. It's not a normal tone control; it's pretty interesting. I think it might be something I would actually use on a tele bridge pickup? (or on a strat bridge pickup for that matter). Check it out:

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/mod-garage-the-fender-greasebucket-tone-circuit

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    As well as I’m capable of understanding this at 5:30 in the morning, while still weaving my coffee, it appears that the “Greasebucket” varies the lower midrange while cutting highs. I definitely can’t think clearly in such terms this early in the day, but it looks like or sacrifices some lower midrange and below, in the name of “not adding bass”.

When I first heard of Fender’s greasebucket I figured that it was just a slogan. It is apparent that it means something beyond mere words, but the language they use is a bit misleading. In a passive control circuit, it’s impossible to add anything to the signal, you can only subtract and any tone control reduces the signal, the area under the curve. Perhaps someday, when I get my waterfowl in rank and file, I’ll build a box where I can test some of these things for myself.

ruger9 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.