Surprising Instrument (Epi Dot Content)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Synchro, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Only 12? That's barely enough for a weekend!

Tele295 likes this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You can’t fault the sound, one bit. This is an excellent sounding pickup set. Very Gibson, but it’s the best of the Gibson sounds. My old ES-340 had Gib-buckers, but they sounded dull and harsh compared to these pickups. Let’s put it like this, if it had sounded as good as this guitar, I never would have sold it.

I’ve heard that dull, harsh sound on other Gibsons, though certainly not all Gibsons. It may have been the result of one of the running changes they made in the ‘60s. The ES 340 was a ‘69 - ‘74 model, so the shank of the Norlin era.

In any event, it’s astounding that they can produce such a great sounding axe in this price range.

Mark W likes this.
  3. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I have my epi royale collection. Of the hollow bodies, the Dot is my favorite, then comes the Riviera, Emperor Swingster and Wildcat. The LP is really nice guitar too.

20210506_140818.jpg

4. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    That's all??!!

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Winnie, I know. The poor guy. He's probably living on dandelion leaves and cans of beans.

Is there some charity that might help? I mean, he can't even go two weeks without playing the same one TWICE!!!!

Oh, the humanity!

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I need treatment for guitar hoarding. :)

Ok, an L-5 CT in red stain and that ‘69 Streamliner at Willie’s would get me up to 14. Let the Red Cross know, if you would. :)

Winnie Thomas and Tony65x55 like this.
  7. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    One of the things I never took fully in to account was pairing a guitar up with a specific amp. Plug in to one amp and it sounds awful. Plug in to a different amp and open the pearly gates.

juks likes this.
  8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The pickups and the input of the first device in the signal chain are part of the same circuit. It seems logical that there is some demarcation at the edge of the guitar, but if you are plugged directly into an amp, your pickups are developing their output into the the grid of the first tube in the preamp. Your pickup is reacting to the grid of the first tube and the grid of the first tube is reacting to the coils of your pickup. With that in mind, it’s obvious that the amp will have a big effect on what comes out of the guitar.

If you are plugged into an effects pedal, or pedal board, your pickup is going to develop its output into the impedance of the first device, probably an FET, and the last device in that effects chain will interact with the grid of the first preamp tube, but in any event, the amp definitely plays a big role.

I have to say that there is a lot of appeal to a simple signal path, such as plugging the guitar directly into an amp.

Mark W likes this.
  9. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I really have come to dislike using ANY pedals but realize that picadillo is just another personal weirdness on my part.

10. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I love topics and threads like this because they are jam-packed with information and knowledge and even vocabulary that is way beyond my level and experience. It inspires me to work harder on really learning my instrument. :)

11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    i'm just hanging out to see if it ends up with Synchro or not lol, but yes the vocabulary is so captivating as well.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Wait no more.

I have always felt that you don’t know an instrument until you’ve used it in a band situation. Yesterday was rehearsal for Clutch Draggin’ and the Lug Nuts and I used the Epi for the forest song, but that was it. The sound was wonderful, but without the master volume of a Gretsch, it just doesn’t work for me in a band setting. The minor repairs are finished, and someone, someplace, will get a nice little Epi, but it’s not going to work for me.

One other takeaway is that the ES-335 platform can be a great Jazz guitar, provided that it has the right pickups. I would say that a lower output, vintage style humbucker would do the trick.

ruger9 and Stefan87 like this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was hopeful for the DOT and really hoping it would stay with you but owell lol.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I spoiled by the Gretsch control set. There are advantages to the four-pot control set, used by Gibson, and many others, but the master volume is pretty important to me.

I have four Gretsch, and they are all my favorite, for some reason or another. I have a G6119-1959, which is the single pickup Tennie. I added a neck pickup to mine and created a new wiring harness, which is basically the same as used on a Brian Setzer Hot Rod, a gas pedal and a gearshift. I have to say that guitar is great at gigs. The simpler the controls, the better I like them.

ruger9 and Stefan87 like this.
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    You know, I've never thought of that. Being a tele and Gretsch (and one strat) player, I too am used to the MV setup. But the next 2 guitars on my list have the 2V setup: ES-339 and PRS DGT.... I never thought about the MV thing.... hmm....

16. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Perhaps rewire the Dot to have MV, 2xV, MT? We’re not giving up yet. :)

Henry likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve only ever owned a handful of other guitars with the 2V, 2T control set, my Guild T-400, and a couple of Les Pauls. My old ES-340 had only one volume control and a pan pot as a way of selecting the pickups. Besides that, it’s always been Teles, Strats and Gretsch.

For my purposes, I’m completely happy with one volume and one tone for the entire guitar and I’d be fine with a switch with a couple of presets, instead of a tone pot.

If I needed another guitar, I’d be willing to do that, but with a collection of 8 standard guitars, a Bass VI, two basses and a lap steel, I’m hardly hurting for instruments.

Ricochet and ruger9 like this.
  18. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    That's why I installed a Tone Switch on my Hot Rod

Gretsch decal.jpg

MrWookiee and new6659 like this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I like that.

ruger9 likes this.
  20. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    The next best thing to a master volume is a single volume and single tone pot. Simplicity for the win! Oh that is one of the things that I think PRS got right from the get go.
    prs.jpg

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.