Surprise! What could it be,(nad)!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
So we will just start with pictures and not talk about how it felt like the first day I picked up a guitar. It has been many months. I have focused on mandolin for a few years not but seriously. How could I forget everything I knew and lose all my accuracy? I was never good, I was better at doing things for friends, helping them dial in a tone or set or amp bias, etc little things I just was able to do well. Now it feels like day one with a guitar. And even my thicker neck Strat was hurting my worst on bar chords! Quite a lot! I couldn't remember all the major minor or seventh chords, couldn't remember my pentatonic patterns, couldn't remember the root of all the bar shapes I had used know. Very disappointing and apparently the electric guitar is a bit too heavy for my side still after a bit it started to ache. Might have to put the guitar off another couple of weeks while I finish healing and just pick up the Martin more to get up to shape on chords and scales again!

Anywho I did play a bit and it sounds excellent!

Attachments

• IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6255.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 5

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
My little living room stash but the Dust Devil will need some taming with the PS100 so I can really crank it! And I have to get some more cabs built. This one is the slant front 2x12 from LopoLine before they sold out to Mesa. Loaded with a 16 ohm ceramic Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell. Wired parallel for an 8-ohm load. That Strat was very bright on both channels I couldn't get the volume up much and I was fiddling around playing nothing badly and then my wrist and side started hiring so it is sitting now. Very disappointing for me. But the Winfield Dust Devil sounds great! Well, I have these little amps here because they all sound great and fit on that cab with wheels. So currently I can move it around the living room easily, well as easily as the reconstruction clutter allows! I tore my kitchens out and found rotting subflooring but thars a tale for another day and thread! That is a pic of the 60th Anniversary Blizard Pear MIM Strat. I was told overwound Tex Mex pups. You can dial in a nice Vaugh, either, sound if you tweak the amps a bit! Too bad my playing, fumbling, so so bad today and the issues with my body got in the way!

Attachments

• IMG_6256.jpeg
    IMG_6256.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6263.jpeg
    IMG_6263.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6264.jpeg
    IMG_6264.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6265.jpeg
    IMG_6265.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 12

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
My high e is sounding bright and brittle. Might be time for a new strong or pup adjustment. Just a bit more there on that strong than the others!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Here’s my 2x12”, Marshall 2061 style, slantback cabinet.
View attachment 187324
I always built the side by side style but I have considered two 1x12 for a mini stack made to fit the Dust Devil head or that style. I like the look of that! does it have any tonal advantage over tue side by side?

I also considered making. A 4x12 straight cab and wiring it for stereo but the last two speakers I bought I might be 8 ohm I have to check. If they are 16ohm I may just take the silver bell and blue dog ceramic 15 watt speakers out of the side by side and put them and the silver bell 15 watt alnic and 15 watt alnico grey wolf in a 4x12 with them. Wire it stereo like the triple xxx 4x12 then I can have a full stack without having a full stack! Then take the two 1230-55 15 watt speakers and putting them in the side by side. Just a thought I really like the idea of having three separate 2x12. Maybe a mini stack lien your diagonal 2x12 that would be cool!

Could I talk you into sharing the ruff outside dimensions with me. whoa never mind I found the specs to the 2016! Thanks!

Last edited:

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I knew it when the thread popped up haha. Congrats man, that looks like all you could need in an amp.

If you're interested in the 2x12" Marshall style search for build plans for a Marshall 1965A or 1966A cab(Those indicate model numbers not years). The 1965 is a 4x10" but the same cab, A is for the slanted version, the B is for the straight cab.
They were made in the '80s, solid multiplex, before they started using MDF.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I always built the side by side style but I have considered two 1x12 for a mini stack made to fit the Dust Devil head or that style. I like the look of that! does it have any tonal advantage over tue side by side?

I also considered making. A 4x12 straight cab and wiring it for stereo but the last two speakers I bought I might be 8 ohm I have to check. If they are 16ohm I may just take the silver bell and blue dog ceramic 15 watt speakers out of the side by side and put them and the silver bell 15 watt alnic and 15 watt alnico grey wolf in a 4x12 with them. Wire it stereo like the triple xxx 4x12 then I can have a full stack without having a full stack! Then take the two 1230-55 15 watt speakers and putting them in the side by side. Just a thought I really like the idea of having three separate 2x12. Maybe a mini stack lien your diagonal 2x12 that would be cool!

Could I talk you into sharing the ruff outside dimensions with me. whoa never mind I found the specs to the 2016! Thanks!

I don’t know if there’s a practical advantage, but it makes for a nice size, and places the head at a convenient height. I have a Blue Dog and a Silverbell in mine. This example came from Mojotone, and is not precisely the same size as the Marshall. It’s close, but not spot on. I think it‘s about an inch deeper.

The sound is tremendous. The closed back gives it a percussive quality and it doesn’t fall prey to speaker flatulence.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
The Vox Mini Beatle is a 2X10" one over the other style. The old Gibson GSS100 had a pair of the same 2X10" with an HF horn. I'd suspect it might give a longer throw distance than a side by side, but that's just speculation. One advantage is that you needn't bend over as far to adjust the amp controls.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
The Vox Mini Beatle is a 2X10" one over the other style. The old Gibson GSS100 had a pair of the same 2X10" with an HF horn. I'd suspect it might give a longer throw distance than a side by side, but that's just speculation. One advantage is that you needn't bend over as far to adjust the amp controls.
That’s a significant advantage. I have an aversion to bending down while holding a guitar.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I don’t know if there’s a practical advantage, but it makes for a nice size, and places the head at a convenient height. I have a Blue Dog and a Silverbell in mine. This example came from Mojotone, and is not precisely the same size as the Marshall. It’s close, but not spot on. I think it‘s about an inch deeper.

The sound is tremendous. The closed back gives it a percussive quality and it doesn’t fall prey to speaker flatulence.
The specs for the Marshall are 12” wide at the bottom and 11 at the top. I won’t go that narrow, seems like a recipe for disaster in a 8 cat house. I like 14” at the base and maybe 12 at the top. I’m tossed up just going straight. I have wanted to build a cab that would allow for pedals on top along with the amp. My kid works today but maybe I can get my daughter to haul some wood for me. Time to start a cab. My planner planes up to 14 7/8” width, specs say 15”, so I might go 14.5. I also want to try a unconventional finish to the inside of the cab. I don’t know how to explain in words I’ll post a picture. But my idea will eliminate almost all parallel surfaces. In a guitar cab maybe that isn’t all that important but I have to try.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I can do a knotty pine or cherry cab. The pine is a bit trickier as the knots have to be tight very very tight. I think I’ll go with Cherry.