Supro wants my money

RatRod Gentleman

Gretschie
Sep 28, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I can’t think of an amplifier manufacturer more deserving of your money, especially with those features.

IMO 10” speakers suit traditional PAF style humbucker guitars but I’ve heard them sound great with filtertrons too. Don’t know what signal chain was involved though unfortunately

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I can’t think of an amplifier manufacturer more deserving of your money, especially with those features.

IMO 10” speakers suit traditional PAF style humbucker guitars but I’ve heard them sound great with filtertrons too. Don’t know what signal chain was involved though unfortunately
Yeah, I had a Supro Tremo-Verb that I loved. It had a darker sound, and it sounded amazing with single coils.
But when I played my Gretschs with Filtertrons, it needed the bass knob at zero and the treble up high.

I switched over to the Fender sound, and sold it. I regretted it as soon as the exchange was made.

My Deluxe Reverb was custom built by a local amp wizard, and it’s what I use with my band. I’ve never played thru a better amp. It was built to include the same tube-bias tremolo that Supro uses instead of the usual choppy fender trem.

However, for the solo stuff I’m doing, the DR is WAY too loud. Plus, I’m really craving the swampier, thicker, dirtier sound that an amp like a Supro gives. Pair that sound with the option to attenuate to lower wattages, and this could almost be too good to be true.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
It looks like a great amp Caleb, and I bet it sounds accordingly (more: Supro + Supro is a match made in heaven 🙂).
I only have 2 issues. The first one is, of course, the price. For a little more of that money you could probably have a point-to-point military specs 5 watter with the best stuff out there made for you any style (Supro included).
The second one is… experience: I’ve had both a modded Champ 600 (with a new case and a 10” Warehouse speaker) and a 70s Champ. I gigged with the 600 a lot, less with the 70s because of the 8” speaker. Both sounded great, both have been sold ‘cause they weren’t enough when the game gets tough.
And the game always get tough… 😉 You’ll end up playing solo gigs in rock’n’roll houses wishing you’d have dragged your DR with you…
In the world we exist mate, rock’n’roll it’s still moving some air. 🙂.
Anyway, it’s a great amp so it will be a win/win situation. 👍

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
It looks like a great amp Caleb, and I bet it sounds accordingly (more: Supro + Supro is a match made in heaven 🙂).
I only have 2 issues. The first one is, of course, the price. For a little more of that money you could probably have a point-to-point military specs 5 watter with the best stuff out there made for you any style (Supro included).
The second one is… experience: I’ve had both a modded Champ 600 (with a new case and a 10” Warehouse speaker) and a 70s Champ. I gigged with the 600 a lot, less with the 70s because of the 8” speaker. Both sounded great, both have been sold ‘cause they weren’t enough when the game gets tough.
And the game always get tough… 😉 You’ll end up playing solo gigs in rock’n’roll houses wishing you’d have dragged your DR with you…
In the world we exist mate, rock’n’roll it’s still moving some air. 🙂.
Anyway, it’s a great amp so it will be a win/win situation. 👍
Yeah, there’s no doubt my DR is the amp for Rock n’ Roll shows.
For my one-man-band solo thing, I use a heavily modified Gretsch 5222 (same as the Fender 600 just a different name and different look). It has a new eminence speaker, new tubes, grill cloth, transformer etc, and It works perfect. It’sthe perfect volume for playing with a bass drum and a hi-hat.
However, a Supro amp will definitely sound better.

For the price, yeah, maybe I could find a better 5 watter with both verb and trem, but it’s hard to find single-ended amps with both. The new Fender silverface Custom Champs do, but the reverb is digital. And I’m not sold on new production pcp board fender tube amps. I have bad luck with them.

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I like the wee supros, but find some kinda overdrive pedal that shelves the bass works well. Tightens things up in a Fender direction. Them Delta things keep winking at me....apart from the dumb distortion

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
Aha - interesting new amp from Supro : reverb, tremolo... If it sounds good, because not all Supros RI are fine to my taste. For the moment, I only find one that had a good little dirty tone perfect for Soul and Rhythm'n'Blues : the Supro 1605R "Reverb 1964"...

jJE5Kb-P1110089.jpg

And these amps are seriously built :

Tdt6Kb-opening-the-1605R.jpg

Chances are that my local music shop will enter one "Amulet" soon, so I'll have the occasion to test it... 😎

@Cryin_Caleb_Aaron : if you buy one, let us know further, indeed ! ;)

A+!

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I sold the 1605r, just didn't work for me. When plugged into a larger amp, there was no way I could turn the big amp up past 1. It was a but boomy

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Well, ahum, you know, like........ I love me a 5watt Supro with trem and verb😁 View attachment 195858 this is a funky old beastie, don't know how much a new one has in common View attachment 195859
That’s the one I want!
BUT, finding one in good condition for the right price is challenging.
The reissue Tremo-Verbs are a LOUD 15 watts. Or is it 20 watts? I don’t recall, but it’s loud. Different amp for the most part.

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
I love my Tremoverb ESPECIALLY with my Gretsch. But yeah, the bass has to be at 0 and the treble at 12:00 or higher. But the breakup on the Supros is magical, some of the best I've ever heard. IDK if it's the circuit (which Bruce Zinky helped design, BTW), or the 6973 tubes.

I just (3 days ago) scored a Gretsch (Victoria) Playboy, and I do think it is a better amp with my Filtertron'ed Gretsch... but the Supro is no slouch. I likely won't be keeping both (the Supro will probably have to go)

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I am loving everything about my tone these days and really don't need anything. Does this ease the GAS....Nope!

My curiosity was peaked with smaller amps with the Tone King Gremlin and the the Typhoon by Winfield. Now this Supro......ohhh baby this thing is just made for all songs on John Hammond's "Wicked Grin" album. The attenuator is a HUGE sell on this and $200 friendlier vs. Tone King's Gremlin.

Maybe in the future. I have good amount of $$$ via Amazon points so pulling the trigger on an optical compressor will be no big deal. A new amp? I will need a Christmas miracle to even have a chance of seeing the new year if a new amp arrives.

For now, I'll have to dream about this one.

Latest posts