Supro / Gretsch amp head ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stuthedew, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Stuthedew

Stuthedew Newbie

Jun 5, 2012
    CR Iowa
    I bought this beast at a pawnshop about a year and a half ago, and i've played it off and on... Not sure what to make of it's model though. the chassis says gretsch, 6115 (I think, it's very faded and hard to read) it has 4 pre-amp tubes a tube rec, and a set of 7027A output tubes. It's loud like a 50 watt amp, but has the characteristics of somewhere between a fender bassman and early jimmy page tone. very dark sounding. i think it was also modded, hence the "supro" influences on the panel here. The picture shown here is it hooked up to a 8 ohm Silvertone "Solidstate 150" aka. "Jack White" speaker cabinet (another pawnshop steal).

[​IMG]

It's great with a tube screamer or big muff in front of it, and works good with the 8 ohm cabinet.

I'll post some more shots of the rear when I get a chance - hopefully someone recognizes it - I've looked all over online

2. muchos gretsches

muchos gretsches Gretschie

Jul 5, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    The knobs look just like the ones on the 60's Guild amps.
    [​IMG]

3. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    In fact, doesn't the whole layout look suspiciously like the Guild?

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    In fact, it looks identical, just cosmetic differences. So the question is, is the Guild a Gretsch, or is the Gretsch a Guild?

5. Stuthedew

Stuthedew Newbie

Jun 5, 2012
    CR Iowa
    It does have Gretsch inked on the chassis if that means anything, but it has two standby switches, The on switch is a stompbox style switch, which has a smirnoff lid superglued to it, and then the next light is a "supro" style standby switch, that when engaged turns on the "juice" to the tubes, you can hear them hum in a quiet room, and then the polarity switch is there like the other guild picture, and the standby switch is almost like a "mute" along the top is the first clean channel, bright and normal inputs, same with the next channel, but the next one has twice as much gain, and next to that are two RCA jacks which I've never used. Thanks for the info guys. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

6. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    I'm guessing it's a long way away from whatever it started as... But if it sounds great, and suits your playing, you have yourself a cool amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.