Supro Delta King 10 - Damn! I want one!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Penguin Picker, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    I don't remember who it was but I swear someone here posted a pic of a Supro amp a week or two back. I'd heard of them but never really thought of them or researched them but now... damn!

I was looking at one of the Keeley models they designed in partnership with Robert Keeley and my wife put her foot down but I have her blessing for one of the smaller models and I really love the look of the Delta King 10 and all the tones I've heard in the demo videos.

I picked up a Vox Mini Superbeetle about a year ago that I just don't like. NuTube does nothing for me so the Mini collects dust. If I've turned it on more than 10 times I'll be amazed so I'm thinking of trading it towards the Delta King 10.

Fortunately there's a Supro dealer here in town and they do trade-ins so...

Anything thoughts from anyone that has/had one?

T Bone, MKunie, Outlaw and 2 others like this.
  2. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    You and me both ;)

Penguin Picker likes this.
  3. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Well, the dealer here that carries Supro also carries Vox. Their cost on the Mini Superbeetle is $300 so they'll give me $275 towards the Delta King 10, which is $699.

Seems fair and saves me messing with selling it privately online. I could get more privately but then there's usually a hassle.

Archtops, Waxhead and capnhiho like this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Problem with the Vox Beetle is not nu-tube imo - it's the crappy little speaker cab that comes with it.
    Run it thru a 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cab with a 4 0r 8 ohm Celestion speaker and these babies come alive.

I've got an MV50 AC which has same internals as the Beetle.
    Sounds good and very Vox like thru my 1 x 12 closed cab with a UK made Celestion Creamback.
    But I agree the Beetles with 10 inch chinese speaker sound ordinary and not at all like a Vox AC.

Hope the Supro works out great for you :)

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  5. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Yeah, my AC30 is brilliant. I have the CC2X that has the Celestion Alnico Blues, supposedly what John and George had in '64... if I recall the write-up from back then. Damn, when did I buy it? 2008?

Anyhow, yeah, that would make perfect sense re: the Chinese made 10". The only time I ever liked playing the Mini was with the reverb and tremolo turned up... and then I kept playing Earth Angel and Twilight Time. Didn't like it clean, the gain never sounded good and it didn't sound good with my pedalboard.

Since I won't be using it as a head for a separate cab off it goes. I love looking at it but that's not enough reason to keep it.

Now the only question is how long to get the Supro in. Supply doesn't meet demand in the Covid age.

Hell, the Danelectro Longhorn I ordered, well, according to what Danelectro's told the dealers there'll be product for maybe July/August but possibly as late as October/November.

Really hope the Supro comes in sooner.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Speaker is the critical issue on these Vox nu-tube devices and all AC amps too.
    I don't like AC10 cos it also uses a cheap chinese non alnico speaker.
    AC10 sounds ok but just not like an AC amp - no jangle or chime.

If you have an AC30 run the Beetle thru it's speaker and hear the difference :)

7. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Anyone know the difference between that model and the Blues King 12? I have one of those on local Craigslist, with few takers interested. Why would someone want to pay $300 more for the newer model than my NIB one?

8. Byron

Byron Country Gent

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I dunno how, but Supro have found a way of making their amps sound great through a 10 inch speaker. Nothing boxy, plenty of bottom end. Very happy with my Supreme. Loud enough for drummers, big throw and never felt it was too small in a venue. And I can pick it up without groaning

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  9. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Good to hear. I don't know if it applies to all Supro amps but I was watching a video with Robert Keeley where he talked about the collaboration they did on their Supro/Keeley amps and he talked about their amps being made in the US (like his pedals) so I'm guessing better components and more pride than mass produced MIC gear.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    And even with 8" speakers - I can attest it :

[​IMG]

A+!

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    They use a good speaker? There are some terrific 10" speakers out there.

Craig Encinitas and Waxhead like this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    You're bang on Waxy! I wasn't over the moon about the AC10 either until I changed out the speaker to an Emi 10" Red Fang. Then the whole amp came alive with the Vox sound. The Red Fang is a very efficient speaker and as an added bonus, the volume of the amp increased to about the same as an AC15, without the dead weight. It can even hang in with a moderate drummer.

I don't understand why amp companies make a decent amp and then handicap it with the cheapest crappy speakers they can find.

Waxhead likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah good work on swapping speakers :D
    We can only speculate why companies like Vox and Fender so often decide to put sub-standard parts into re-issues and low watt versions of classics. My theory is that it's

a) Cost cutting on parts they think most customers won't notice.
    b) They gamble (probably rightly) that most customers will have never heard the original amp with vintage correct parts and therefore having nothing to compare the re-issue (or low watt copy) with.
    c) They gamble that most punters know very little about tube amps, or the history of the specific amp series.
    d) They rely on the solid reputation of the company logo.

And it's a gamble that appears to have mostly paid off for them.
    Vox and Fender re-issues (and low watt copies) have generally sold well.
    But that doesn't mean those re-issues are great amps that sound like the originals.

In case of Vox AC's, speaker choice is more critical than any other amp I've heard.
    AC10 still sounds ok with it's cheap chinese speaker - just not like a Vox AC :)

14. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    I got on the Sweetwater email list.
    I don’t know how many they got in, but I snagged the last one in stock.
    It’ll be my first tube amp.
    Tracking down a low-wattage one hasn’t been easy.
    I’ll definitely post a review and YouTube video when it comes in next week.
    A3376AF1-35CE-47B9-8C81-4ABCCDC5E265.jpeg

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    T Bone, Archtops, Ricochet and 7 others like this.
  15. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I have had my BK 12 for around 2 years and You are really making a great choice! The amps are basically the same, except for the outsides, and the amp is very much worth every penny! I use it everyday and it always makes me smile to play. Loud or very quiet, It performs well. Good luck with it! MK

16. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    Teaser preview:

gotta hone my skills before making a reasonable demo :confused:

slickfaster and Archtops like this.
  17. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, those SUPRO Delta King in "Stripes-Tweed" are very tempting...

upload_2021-5-13_1-13-26.png upload_2021-5-13_1-14-10.png upload_2021-5-13_1-14-42.png

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.